Author Topic: MA Off-peak is dying  (Read 14853 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: MA Off-peak is dying
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
More like instant gratification....if you can't win easily then buy something that will turn the tables...or quit..
and if none of that works...cheat...
 talking with my son and nephews about this stuff ...it clearly comes across as the norm these days

I heard the very same things 30 years ago, and I know my dad was being told the same. We just did not get called "xbox" generation ;)

Young people are young people and ever have been, and they always have less patience and less will to "work for it " than 'we' believe to have had back then, be it 2013, 1983 or 1883...

Times are ever changing, and each new generation has new interests, new focus, new ideas. Styles are changing, music, movies, games. It's just different. As long as you fight changes  with a "everything is worse today" or "this was good enough for Granpa, it should be good enough for you" attitude, you are fighting a loosing battle and become history yourself...

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #286 on: November 27, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »

I heard the very same things 30 years ago, and I know my dad was being told the same. We just did not get called "xbox" generation ;)

Young people are young people and ever have been, and they always have less patience and less will to "work for it " than 'we' believe to have had back then, be it 2013, 1983 or 1883...

Times are ever changing, and each new generation has new interests, new focus, new ideas. Styles are changing, music, movies, games. It's just different. As long as you fight changes  with a "everything is worse today" or "this was good enough for Granpa, it should be good enough for you" attitude, you are fighting a loosing battle and become history yourself...

well said bro

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #287 on: November 27, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
One of my nephews is a gamer since he's a baby almost, after a while he realized that every block buster is basically the same game, and now looks for small independent gems. These gems usually cost 30$ one time grand max on steam.

It's hard to talk someone into playing aces high when you announce its an independent game costing 15$ a month, fixed price, and that you need to enter your credit card that goes to an unknown database for monthly milking. I thrust HTC but new people don't just yet and the interface doesn't feel securised.

Also for 15$ you can get every major MMO out there.

so he buys what 1 every other month? so it's the same as the subscription to ah?  I am curious how exactly do you pay while buying games in steam?  with a credit card?  check?  paypal?  dont know where you live but the most secure way of paying around here is a credit card.

semp

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #288 on: November 27, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »
so he buys what 1 every other month? so it's the same as the subscription to ah?  I am curious how exactly do you pay while buying games in steam?  with a credit card?  check?  paypal?  dont know where you live but the most secure way of paying around here is a credit card.

semp

semp

Yes he buys one every now and then, but being a teenager he can't engage in paying every month, or doesn't want to. A lot of people don't want to try a game even if its free at first knowing that it will be 15$ after 2 weeks, no matter how good the game is. Steam accepts paypal, credit cards, and all kinds of e-money. Steam redirects to a "secure" website and you could think looking at the interface that it is much secure than aces high. Does aces high transmit your credit card number over the net uncrypted? I can't know.

I have another friend in his 30's that does nothing or games all day long but will rarely pay for games, as it would make him a "geek"  :headscratch:

Paying is not all about the money, it's a lot about psychology (see apple).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:03:52 PM by SirNuke »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #289 on: November 27, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »
It's hard to talk someone into playing aces high when you announce its an independent game costing 15$ a month, fixed price, and that you need to enter your credit card that goes to an unknown database for monthly milking. I thrust HTC but new people don't just yet and the interface doesn't feel securised.

Even major MMO's see the same issue with people reluctant to use their credit cards due to security fears.  It's why alternative payment methods (like game cards) are starting to see more use than before.  More MMO's are moving to using 3rd party vendors to handle the payments, this way the credit card information is stored on the 3rd party vendor's servers, eliminating a potential security issue with the MMO's storing the customer's credit card info.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
Even major MMO's see the same issue with people reluctant to use their credit cards due to security fears.  It's why alternative payment methods (like game cards) are starting to see more use than before.  More MMO's are moving to using 3rd party vendors to handle the payments, this way the credit card information is stored on the 3rd party vendor's servers, eliminating a potential security issue with the MMO's storing the customer's credit card info.

ack-ack

In Planetside 2 you use points that you buy from steam, which feels comfortable because your CC number doesn't go to sony, and because its where you got the game in the first place.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
Security of my credit card with HTC is probably the last thing I will ever be concerned about.

I would actually be more worried about giving my card number to Steam.  They're a far larger and much juicier target for hackers with ill intentions.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #292 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
Security of my credit card with HTC is probably the last thing I will ever be concerned about.

I would actually be more worried about giving my card number to Steam.  They're a far larger and much juicier target for hackers with ill intentions.

probably, but a mention about encryption and security on the aces high credit card page wouldn't hurt.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
probably, but a mention about encryption and security on the aces high credit card page wouldn't hurt.

I am assuming you live in paris.  here in the us if you have a problem with unauthorized charges all you do is call the cc company and they will remove the charges, it's the law.  paying with cc for me is the most secure way.  I have paypal also but I use that to buy other games or hardware I feel like using.

semp

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #294 on: November 27, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
The game is boring.

Too many fly around in their own ack hoping it'll do their job for them.
Too many worried about score and avoid fights at all costs.
Scoring system is a joke.
50 ton tank stopped dead in it's tracks by bushes.
Spitfires fighting Mustangs.
PT boats and torpedo planes are worthless against CV ack. Can't even get within range before you're shot down.
All towns and bases look the same on every map.
Maps are too big and not enough maps in the rotation.
Finding yourself in a 5 vs 1 is the norm not the exception.
No trains or armed convoys to blow up anymore.
No factories spread out across various places on the maps......just packed in one spot protected by laser ack.
No variety in naval shipping to attack. It's either the ack factory CV task group or nothing.

After a while most folks get tired of the same ole thing map after map, tour after tour, year after year. I'm bored with AcesHigh............ and football comes on in 15 minutes. 

Amen!!
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
I am assuming you live in paris.  here in the us if you have a problem with unauthorized charges all you do is call the cc company and they will remove the charges, it's the law.  paying with cc for me is the most secure way.  I have paypal also but I use that to buy other games or hardware I feel like using.

semp

same here they pay back the unauthorized money (happened to me in the past, somehow I was buying fuel in northern africa), but waking up with your account taxed is never a good feeling  :)

I'm not saying it will happen with HTC, I'm placing myself in the new customer's place.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
I am assuming you live in paris.  here in the us if you have a problem with unauthorized charges all you do is call the cc company and they will remove the charges, it's the law.  paying with cc for me is the most secure way.  I have paypal also but I use that to buy other games or hardware I feel like using.

semp

Some states and countries require by law to mention a company's billing server is secure.   

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »
same here they pay back the unauthorized money (happened to me in the past, somehow I was buying fuel in northern africa), but waking up with your account taxed is never a good feeling  :)

I'm not saying it will happen with HTC, I'm placing myself in the new customer's place.

I got mine set up so I get an email on charges over 25 bucks.   so far no unauthorized charges except for my gf's.

semp

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »
I got mine set up so I get an email on charges over 25 bucks.   so far no unauthorized charges except for my gf's.

semp

in some stores the payment redirects to my bank's website, which sends a text message to my cell phone that I have to enter on the website to confirm authorization.

In aces high its "enter cc number" and that's it. I was actually thinking about intercepting the packets sent to HTC see if it's crypted at least. Dunno if that breaks the end user agreement tho.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
pretty she it also breaks the law.

semp