Author Topic: Construction Ahead... planning stages  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Construction Ahead... planning stages
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
With the new terrain in development, we're also kicking around ideas for airfeild layouts, ect....

I've attached a rough layout of a 4 mile by 4 mile "base" area. This one contains a large airfeild, vehicle complex, surrounding town, and possible supply depot.

Legend:
Dark green is forest / woods
Red lines are hedge / property lines
brown lines - dirt roads
Blue/White circles - town buildings
Yellow dots - supply depot?

Everything else is pretty much labelled.

The basic premise of going this way is to create a detailed centralized game area where most of the fighting takes place, which is normally within one to two miles of a base /town. We anticipate having a higher resolution elevations in these areas which will lend to more gentle hills /slopes and be very conducive for vehicle fights. Also it will allow us to alleviate some of the issues with taking off in heavy bombers, in which there will be longer runways, and clear paths for climb out.

Also, We would have different layouts for each type of base. So there would be more variance in towns/facility layouts, as well as strategies for base capture. Also, we just think that it looks more natural that a square mile airfield, with a square mile town next to it.

I just wanted to post this to you guys and get some feedback about it. It's still in very early planning stages, so the sky's not falling yet. :)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: Construction Ahead... planning stages
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »
With the new terrain in development, we're also kicking around ideas for airfeild layouts, ect....

I've attached a rough layout of a 4 mile by 4 mile "base" area. This one contains a large airfeild, vehicle complex, surrounding town, and possible supply depot.

Legend:
Dark green is forest / woods
Red lines are hedge / property lines
brown lines - dirt roads
Blue/White circles - town buildings
Yellow dots - supply depot?

Everything else is pretty much labelled.

The basic premise of going this way is to create a detailed centralized game area where most of the fighting takes place, which is normally within one to two miles of a base /town. We anticipate having a higher resolution elevations in these areas which will lend to more gentle hills /slopes and be very conducive for vehicle fights. Also it will allow us to alleviate some of the issues with taking off in heavy bombers, in which there will be longer runways, and clear paths for climb out.

Also, We would have different layouts for each type of base. So there would be more variance in towns/facility layouts, as well as strategies for base capture. Also, we just think that it looks more natural that a square mile airfield, with a square mile town next to it.

I just wanted to post this to you guys and get some feedback about it. It's still in very early planning stages, so the sky's not falling yet. :)

2 weeks?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
2 weeks?

I can't wait that long. I want this NOW!!!  :O :O :x :x :x :x :x

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »
awesome....not that I care about the base layout or anything....(I pay no attention to the war)

I like the idea of a better graphics...different field layouts sounds great... :rock

I am excited about the new terrain update.... :x :x

think the fire and smoke will be updated? (I am guessing it will be)

or is that an Easter egg??

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:59 PM »
I can't wait that long. I want this NOW!!!  :O :O :x :x :x :x :x

I was referring to the sky falling  :lol

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
Waffle i have only one suggestion . On one of the airfields . Have a layout that can be used like an obstacle course for planes. Rows of taller structures to fly between with open hangers to fly through. It would be nice to have a place where a person could work on precise control of their plane.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
That looks great.. looks like a complete clusterfart to bomb and capture..  realistic i say...   Hopefully the villages are closer to small towns..  P.S. Yellow dots as a supply depot, possibly some manufacturing would be cool..
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:42:01 PM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
PBY??????????

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
I was referring to the sky falling  :lol

I want that too!!  :x

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
That looks neat! And yes more realistic with towns spread out and such. I was flying over one of the big cities (c) on the map and thought wow, I wish more of the map had large towns and cities like these, would definitely add more character, like u were flying over Brittan or something.

Also I'm just curious. Are there gonna be any changes to the water structure : splashes, sinking when on water, splashes when bullets hit, ect?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
Waffle,

Having the town surround the airfield in different places is pretty damn cool. Great idea. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.  :rock

It would be cool to have the radar tower on top of one of the hills on the outskirts of town, since they would have been at higher positions for signal and it would make it fun to try to find where it is at each field vs the cookie cutter version in use now. Maybe a small dirt road leading to the radar tower for GV's to use, in case a wirble wanted to get up there and guard it.

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
Now that's an airfield to have fun with,super job laying that out sir<<S>> :rock

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
im sure whatever you are working will be just fine. maybe check out some overhead pictures of some raf bomber bases from ww2 and also some forward frontline bases from Africa and even some small forward air bases from france etc etc.

also, when the new update comes out, if you can make it to the perimeter of the airfield, you should get credit for landing a flight. its lame to have to belly land instead of trying to land on 1 wheel to keep it on "concrete".

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 04:48:32 PM »
Waffle i have only one suggestion . On one of the airfields . Have a layout that can be used like an obstacle course for planes. Rows of taller structures to fly between with open hangers to fly through. It would be nice to have a place where a person could work on precise control of their plane.
Maybe a portside industrial complex would work too, cranes, factory smokestacks open sided warehouses to fly through...
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »
Excellent  :aok