Author Topic: Why can AH planes climb when missing a wing by bank ing 90.....  (Read 5531 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Why can AH planes climb when missing a wing by bank ing 90.....
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 04:40:27 PM »
Oh for Christ's sake HiTech, get a hold of yourself. Learn how to take a critic. You always get defensive and throw your aeronautical engineering studies to intimidate the crowds. You can wave your fancy aerodynamic formulas all you want, they are still severe flaws in some aspects of AH flight modeling, such as the P47 nose getting 'stuck' wobbling in the sky in a stall nose high for 5 secs plus. All the planes I ever flew, including my 16,000lbs Metro or lately 10,000lbs Pilatus with 1,600HP ... when you stall at any angle : the nose goes down quicker than a Thai hooker.

Anyway, still a hell of a game that's why I've been giving you my money for the last 14 years. Please put your ego aside and listen to your customers concerns about FM even when they identify the shortcomings of the FM.

Frenchy , I get critics day in day out,and very rarely do I respond to any of them.  I do not believe I ever throw any of my "engineering studys" out to intimidate. What I do is simply post engineering information that can at any time be debated analytically. But false information like this thread have a way of becoming urban legend and hence people will continue to believe false claims, and hence some require responses.

HiTech

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
Frenchy , I get critics day in day out,and very rarely do I respond to any of them.  I do not believe I ever throw any of my "engineering studys" out to intimidate. What I do is simply post engineering information that can at any time be debated analytically. But false information like this thread have a way of becoming urban legend and hence people will continue to believe false claims, and hence some require responses.

HiTech

Putz! Just kidding Hitech, don't ban me i'm still on probation apparently! :P At any rate, I'm not a math genius, nor a pilot that has any flight time in any plane, much less a WWII bird. But, having played pretty much every flight sim out there, I feel this one gets as close as possible. Hell, flight models have been changed when information shows that they had it wrong. I don't understand what else they expect.  :headscratch:

Regards

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2014, 05:58:01 PM »
The best i had today : a p51d, with its right wing missing, managed to outrun my Ta152 on a level run (no previous alt advantage) : i recorded it and lighted a cig, thinking "wtf"... :salute

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »

HiTech

It makes no mistake to any of us that you created the best flight model out there, but formulas and numbers don't always tell the full story. Along the years I noticed a tendancy to talk formulas as 'the bible' over the 'feeling of flight'. Let's face it, few of us wish to dig up the 'Principle of flight' book and debate you that's what I mean by 'intimidate'.

At any rate HiTech, I appreciated the fair answer, and I do understand where you are coming from. You shall now resume work on the P47 D23 and the benefits of the paddle prop ... heu ... I mean the new terrain/lighting model.  :D
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »
It makes no mistake to any of us that you created the best flight model out there, but formulas and numbers don't always tell the full story. Along the years I noticed a tendancy to talk formulas as 'the bible' over the 'feeling of flight'. Let's face it, few of us wish to dig up the 'Principle of flight' book and debate you that's what I mean by 'intimidate'.

At any rate HiTech, I appreciated the fair answer, and I do understand where you are coming from. You shall now resume work on the P47 D23 and the benefits of the paddle prop ... heu ... I mean the new terrain/lighting model.  :D
You know, if I ran into Hitech and Skuzzy in a dark alley or something, I think skuzzy would be/is more intimidating.  :D It's nice to see you around the game again though Frenchy. <S>  :airplane:

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2014, 02:07:31 AM »
Hey thank you, appreciated. Such an addicting game there's so much to do in it, it's hard to get borred.  :salute
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2014, 03:54:54 AM »
Frenchy, do some research and find someone who has stalled a real P47, they should know if AH gets it right...
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »
Frenchy, do some research and find someone who has stalled a real P47, they should know if AH gets it right...
About 13:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd0J3Sg_qqA
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »
But false information like this thread have a way of becoming urban legend and hence people will continue to believe false claims, and hence some require responses.

HiTech

When people see it's from icepac, I very much doubt anyone will believe a word.

Outside "another bout of verbal diarrhoea by icepac" there is no chance of such claims becoming urban legend.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
Nice rant but I don't think it fits this case. The OP has a reputation for making claims he can't back up. The aircraft in AH can only zoom climb knife edge. The half wing is beside the point.

Not at all......It's just that people like dolby ignore the backing up of claims so he can continue his agenda.

Show me the claims or stop parroting what dolby incorrectly asserts.

Again......my statement is that any real wwII plane missing an entire wing (not half a wing) can not go from a 7000fpm descent to a 4000fpm climb flying knife edge using only the rudder.

So....when someone uses the pitts special as an example, they should note whether the nose is already up or not at the time the plane goes knife edge.

Not all planes in aces high can do it but more than a few can.

I'm now working two jobs so my aces high time for the week has been consumed by this post.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »
lol at this amount of plain stupidity  :rofl
Youre awesome, buddy  :aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2014, 01:32:30 PM »
About 13:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd0J3Sg_qqA

Yes, that's a normal tame stall.  But planes behave a lot differently when people are doing highly accelerated stalls with crossed controls.  Then you can get all kinds of weird behavior, such as here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWwI6gZw67g

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Again......my statement is that any real wwII plane missing an entire wing (not half a wing) can not go from a 7000fpm descent to a 4000fpm climb flying knife edge using only the rudder.

So....when someone uses the pitts special as an example, they should note whether the nose is already up or not at the time the plane goes knife edge.

The principle is the same.  The fuselage is generating lift.  Math above estimates that the Brewster can maintain level at 275 mph -- that's where lift = weight.  As you exceed that speed, you can generate more lift from the fuselage than the plane weighs.  Thus, at more than about 275 mph, you can start generating some acceleration (in excess of weight) to apply to a curving path (i.e., descent to climb, or a bit of a knife-edge turn).  It's the same principle that applies when you have a plane stalls at 80 mph, but as you go faster than 80 mph, you can maneuver and not be relegated to flying just straight ahead and level.

So, I hereby note that when I use the Pitts Special as an example, the physics and math are the same as for any other plane in Earth's atmosphere.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
lol at this amount of plain stupidity  :rofl
Youre awesome, buddy  :aok

I warned him not to start the thread. lol
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"