Author Topic: the new map from a strat runner's perspective  (Read 5444 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: the new map from a strat runner's perspective
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
Hitech,

Thank you for verifying what ghostdancer posted for me. He said the files are 16bit.

I hope you know I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing here, I'm just guessing, then pushing buttons in art programs to see if anything blows up. And reading other game forums discussions about heightmap files for their terrains. Other game's players seem to talk more about them than we do here for creating the raw land masses in their terrains. Still, our arenas are ginormous but, if this works, I can see how I could have eliminated many hours of mind numbing work by creating the raw land masses in an art program as a 2D map first.

Well back to pushing buttons and seeing what breaks....... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
Well I've been pushing buttons and breaking everything this evening.

I discovered how to make the TE produce all of the terrain as a negative image under the surface of the water if you leave the grid on to show you the negative elevations. Still, I finally figured out how to create a 16bit grayscale PNG file and place an RGB contour gradient filled object captured from a JPG file into the PNG file and get a contoured land mass to popup in the TE. It may be possible for me to create the heightmap starting with an RGB jpeg 4096x4096 so I can create the contour elevations in black and white. Then import that to Krita and convert it to a 16bit grayscale PNG. I will have to experiment with the color values so I can get close to the maximum land mass terrain alts I want to define land masses by. Still getting all of the gross land mass popped up in one import will speed up a 20x20 terrain by a large factor.

Now I gotta work on scale, my playing around was with 25,000ft as the maximum elevation which you can see how massive things can get when they are imported to the TE and "POPUP". One gigantic island, and some giant cylinders, and a ginormous wall in the ocean of the TE. :O

Oh, and yes, the TE rotates the image so I have to test that to get the rotation I have to apply before exporting to a RAW format.

Some basic test objects I finally produced after breaking everything.

As you can see by the above screen captures I was able to incorporate this contour gradient filled 2D jpeg picture from below into the file I converted to a heightmap raw file. When I pasted in the island to the original PNG file, I placed it to the north of the wall, not 90 degrees rotated to the west.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
Also take a look at l3dt for creating the base height maps. It works well with our height map exports.

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
What horizontal scale does HTC use with a 4096x4096 in L3DT?

Dang, I really had figured out how to generate a 2D black and white contoured filled 4096x4096 jpeg map file and importing it into a 16bit grayscale PNG file to convert to raw. Working in gradient shades of near black charcoal just to create say a 1000ft high 5 mile long island with topo features was the real hurdle. I was working each land mass's contouring on a separate layer with a tool that performs a contour gradient fill like the clip I posted. Just so I could leave out the black(#000000) ocean field and only see the charcoal colored gradient fill. You can go blind staring at gradient shades of charcoal. I just figured I would visit all of the islands anyway, so the pixelization around each shore I would clean up while I smoothed the island topo contours.

I found photo shop's raw format to be really noisy and it produced 25k spike tubes instead of the cylinders with the center sunk 25k into the water when I produced my test heightmap out of it. Along with turning the water brown by covering it with 1ft of land mass and generating a negative wall down into the water. A truly weird looking test terrain. It wasn't untill I got the cylinders and the wall to show up that I moved on to adding in the island. I had to export the PNG file from Krita as a .r16, change the extension to .raw, then import it into ImageJ and save as a raw file format. That unsigned raw file was then OK with the terrain editor. I kept pushing buttons and breaking things until the terrain editor was happy. 

Hitech, thank you for your responses and pointing me at l3dt.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
no no no you need to adjust the flux capacitor timing to the jigglemawhat experience.  then you take .kjr file and put in the helitight complex which will you give you the aimbot resistance for the hardness of the clouds, 
that's what all that sounds like to me
keep up the good work  :salute :salute

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
So to recap, Loco Moto never told Fugitive his in game name and the subject of the post was successfully diverted, lol
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
Hitech,

I RTFM'd L3DT, so am simply waiting for my trial license and download directions to come in vis e-mail. I set the height for vast terrains in the settings for air simms.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
From AH -> L3dt

Open L3dt Pro and select "File > Import > Heightfield" and point it towards the "height.raw" file.

Enter "660" in the Horizontal Scale data box. Click "ok"

Enter "4096" for both the Width and Height

Set mode to "16-bit signed" with the "Invert Y Axis" checkbox checked. Click "Ok"

Now you can edit the height field in L3DT

Getting your Heightfield from L3DT back into AH.

-Choose "File > Export > active map layer"

-Select "Raw" as your File format and select the directory where you want to export it.

-Click the option button and set mode to "16-bit Signed (manual scale)" and "Invert Y" to "true"

-Export the Raw file and name it "height.raw" and place in your working terrain folder.

-Open the AH editor and Click on import to import the modified height map.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:16:35 PM by hitech »

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »
So to recap, Loco Moto never told Fugitive his in game name and the subject of the post was successfully diverted, lol
Best bomb'n bail strat map EVAAAAaaaaaaaah! :bolt:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
I may just have to get into map making...

You could make some real-world maps that are balanced.   That would be a cool change...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2017, 06:51:59 PM »
I may just have to get into map making...

You could make some real-world maps that are balanced.   That would be a cool change...

The old Baltic map always had good action.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »

I know right! LOL!

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »
Dale and bustr out here I hijacking threads ;)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
Best bomb'n bail strat map EVAAAAaaaaaaaah! :bolt:

Unfortunately very true. I'm one of the most virulent anti bomb 'n' bailers you'll ever meet, but even I am tempted. Given 3 minute resup time on strat damage, I want to make use of the damage I've done before it goes away. :(

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »
Dale and bustr out here I hijacking threads ;)

Just figured I'd share the wonderfulness of the fact that everyone is qualified to build a terrain with no experience what so ever. All I did was open the program and started pushing buttons to see what broke. There are a number of ways to do it, and to enumerate them.

1. - This is how I created my first ever MA terrain.

Manually lay down large swaths of land with a 6 mile diameter brush on a 250,000 square mile(4096x4096 pixel) project space. I did that and it took me a month to get the gross land masses laid down and another month nibbling away the edges, while creating a new clip board map each time to check the results. It took another month to sculpt the finished terrain features, then a month to paint the thing. The rest of the time was tied up in laying done bases and spawns, then testing the whole assumption called the terrain. Fortunately those months of practice made the changes to the terrain that Hitech wanted take about 7 days. And adding the battleships only a few more days. 

2. - This is what I've been posting the latest screen captures of to kill time waiting for my temporary license from L3DT.

Create a PNG format heightmap in grayscale as a 4096x4096 art file. Massage it, then convert it to raw format, then import it into the terrain editor. Then create a clip board map to see how that turned out. Then probably massage the PNG file numerous more times. And generate clip board maps to check out your work. You can actually create the whole thing as a JPEG 4096x4096 file then convert that to a grayscale PNG file. I work faster in a JPEG art program called Paint.Net than I do in one called Krita where I do the conversion to PNG. It's probably because I used Paint.Net to create my gunsights all of these years. 

3. - This is the preferred method as recommended by Hitech.

Go to the L3DT webpage and submit a request for a temporary 90 day license to review the professional version of L3DT. It is an editor similar to the AH3 terrain editor in which you can create your 3D terrain and export it as a heightmap which imported into the terrain editor will produce a stunning MA terrain. Then you navigate it to perform touch ups, paint it and set in place all of your bases, fleets and spawns. A single license for L3DT is about $35 if you decide you like it.

Hijacking, naw, just trying to get you gents to stop whizzing at each other over ridiculous BS. If you want a terrain that does everything you want in the MA, fire up the terrain editor and create it like I did. Unless you "pay someone" to do exactly what you want, they will always build their terrain to make themselves happy playing on it in the MA.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing