Author Topic: Unsportsmanlike game play  (Read 14356 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: Unsportsmanlike game play
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2021, 02:12:43 PM »

Too bad a barrier doesn't pop up to keep the pickers out of a close t&b

Why don't you just ask on chan200 if anyone wants to meet you in MPA for some actual 1v1 in a protected environment?  Or PM someone you had a good fight with that got interrupted to meet you there for uninterrupted 1v1?

Isn't that what that arena was specifically designed for?  And opposed to the open sandbox Melee arena where no one is obligated to follow unwritten rules or wait in line to ask Mother-May-I?  before being allowed to pull the trigger.

Hint: there are no unwritten rules.  It is a rule, or it isn't.  If it is a rule, it will be memorialized in HTC's player agreement or it will be enforced by code changes, or in the case of Scenario, specifically enumerated in the Scenario write-up.  Other than that, it's not a rule; it's just some old man's opinion.

Or I guess the Training Arena would work?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:24:44 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2021, 03:18:08 PM »
Why don't you just ask on chan200 if anyone wants to meet you in MPA for some actual 1v1 in a protected environment?  Or PM someone you had a good fight with that got interrupted to meet you there for uninterrupted 1v1?

You can't PM the other teams. Asking for a 1v1 on 200 is usually met with crickets, or taken as some kind of chest-thumping. Not to mention the fact that you're asking someone to stop what they're doing and go land to join you in another arena.

...no one is obligated to follow unwritten rules or wait in line to ask Mother-May-I?  before being allowed to pull the trigger.

I'm not sure what's so difficult about asking if a player needs help before piling on a 1v1. A little respect for the air combat aspect of this game would go a long way, and is the O.P.'s entire point. I'm accused of vulching and picking frequently, but I always ask before interrupting a 1v1.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2021, 03:27:27 PM »
A little respect for the air combat aspect of this game would go a long way, and is the O.P.'s entire point. I'm accused of vulching and picking frequently, but I always ask before interrupting a 1v1.

As I've always done.  If they need my help, it's usually because of Bingo ammo/fuel.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »
I'm not sure what's so difficult about asking if a player needs help before piling on a 1v1. A little respect for the air combat aspect of this game would go a long way, and is the O.P.'s entire point. I'm accused of vulching and picking frequently, but I always ask before interrupting a 1v1.

You're welcome to do that if it's your preference, but it is not a rule and no one else is obligated to abide by your preferences.

Do you ask the opponent? 

If the opponent prefers you to stay out, did you ask and do you oblige?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2021, 04:03:32 PM »
Some have not or will never, get it..

but when you find the ones that do....  great times to be had

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2021, 04:05:14 PM »
I've seen GV'rs claim that you can't bomb them if they are not taking a base.  Is that another rule?

If the opponent kills the friendly, can I attack then?  Or do I have to wait until they climb back up to my alt?  Or until they rtb and repair?  I'm sure someone has a rule about that.

If the opponent kills the friendly and I catch them in a non-turny plane, do I have to wait while they go get a turny plane?  What if they are low on ammo?  I'm sure someone has made up a personal rule.

I've see players claim that you shouldn't drop hangars unless there is an active attempt at taking a base.  So I guess degrading enemy resources is out too. 

Are two fighters not allowed to team on a bomber?  Or is there a separate set of secret unwritten rules for bombers?

Man a lot of unwritten rules around.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 04:18:50 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »
It takes all sorts of pilots and players to make this game but only one type to ruin it.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2021, 04:09:39 PM »
it is a numbers thing...

the lame out ways the game these days
back with the bigger numbers there was definitely more game than lame

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2021, 04:12:24 PM »
It takes all sorts of pilots and players to make this game but only one type to ruin it.

The kind that think an open sandbox multiplayer combat arena is actually a protected dueling arena?

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »

The kind that think an open sandbox multiplayer combat arena is actually a protected dueling arena?

I think it's more a SA thing. Just because you think you are in a sandbox doesn't mean you behave like a child.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2021, 04:20:19 PM »
You're welcome to do that if it's your preference, but it is not a rule and no one else is obligated to abide by your preferences.

Do you ask the opponent? 

If the opponent prefers you to stay out, did you ask and do you oblige?

You're missing the entire point of this thread. No one is claiming it's against the rules to display poor gamesmanship. It would be beneficial to this game and all involved if everyone were to maintain a standard of decency and respect for the art of air combat. That's the main point of the game, right? I and many others are here for the dogfights.

Yes, I do lay off opponents that ask me to. As do many. Usually I don't often have the luxury of knowing who I'm engaging, but if it's someone like-minded, I definitely give the fight the respect it deserves which includes not HO'ing, asking teammates not to jump in and seeing it through to the end. Or laying off once the opponent is rendered defenseless.

I do not expect that from anyone, but I do hope that some of the unadulterated shamelessness that I witness frequently can be reduced by persistent peer pressure. Defenders of poor behaviour empower more of it.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »
it is not unwritten rules ... it is sportsmanship.. I know I know...the problem with that word is the word sport...which people jump on and decry but it is not a sport...  however the definition of the word is what is looking to be express when using it...fair and generous behavior or treatment of others.. four elements of sportsmanship, good form, the will to win, equity and fairness....back a few moons ago the claim was this was a sim not a sport..

There was also many things going on..there was big missions with huge formations and squads doing the war thing....and then there was the guys who like to mix it up and play an exciting and skillful game... it was sometimes about one on one ... but it was more about a mutual respect of the game at play.. there was the thought that your win is getting angles and getting the position of the rear half... that was the fun of it....it also help keep fights living and exciting.... eventually you would get the BnZers turn up to cause some havoc...but they would move on...

just like there used to be bomb and balers... most made the trip home ... more bail now...but probably more the fact that there is less bombers and missions happening.

to many here it is like putting a professional sports team up against highschool team....  and if they can't do that...they don't want to play .... they also want twice the amount of players too....  need to make sure this is a win you know.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »
I do not expect that from anyone, but I do hope that some of the unadulterated shamelessness that I witness frequently can be reduced by persistent peer pressure. Defenders of poor behaviour empower more of it.

No, you're missing the point.

This is an open sandbox Melee arena.  All players are free to do what ever they feel like within HTC player agreement without exploiting software bug or hacking.  That is the point of open sandbox. 

When you use words like "shamlessness" and "poor behavior" you are implying there are rules that someone isn't following.  You can do what ever you want.  I reject your assertion that anyone else is obligated to recognize your personal preferences.  I reject the idea that anyone abiding by HTC's player agreement and not hacking has any other limitations on what they do in the open sandbox.  That is the meaning of open sandbox.  And anyone implying otherwise is delusional and should simply be laughed at.  That's my rule. ;) 

It's Westworld, not Sunday School.   

Besides, if Hitech agreed with you, he would simply add those rules to the player agreement or code magic forcefields like Eagler wants.  In 20 years, I've seen no evidence of him moving in that direction.  Take a hint.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 04:53:17 PM by CptTrips »

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »
Don't you just hate it when someone post with way more etiquette than you while you are typing your next post.... then you are like doh!!   damn you simon  hahahaha

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »
he also doesn't coad don't be a dick ....  but it has been said before