Author Topic: A 'Primer' for new LW pilots.  (Read 1961 times)

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
A 'Primer' for new LW pilots.
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2002, 03:42:00 PM »
WOW,
To think I usually don't read this forum...
Now that I have some insight to the guys' tactics that kill me the most efficiently, I'll at least have a leg up on figuring out the why part.

nice thread.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2002, 05:12:16 PM »
Originally posted by Duedel
GREAT THREAD!!!

Neither in an initial turn nor in a sustained turn I have the feeling that the 109G10 turns better than the 190A5 (it's a feeling not my knowledge).

Does someone have data about this?

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2002, 07:00:10 PM »
No data here either but I have the same feeling that the 109G10 doesnt turn as well as the A5.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2002, 09:25:50 PM »
Great thread...now if anyone can give me some pointers in how to make my accuracy go up that would be great...have great connection and 60-75 frame rates...pings aroung 60 or so all the time.....so any tips on gunnery would be appreciated.

TG12

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2002, 08:42:47 AM »
What plane are you flying, what convergence do you use, and what ranges are you firing at?  Also, what happens when you shoot at somebody... what shots are you taking and missing, and describe what is happening when you miss.

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2002, 03:09:11 PM »
A great thread, and thanks to all.

Never fail to remember that almost all fights here on Aces High, even ones that start out as one versus one, end up with multiple planes involved. Concentrating on how to counter that one plane you started with, can get you killed.

Situation Awareness wins most fights in Aces High.

Know your planes strengths and weakness, and most of all have SA.

Never dive into a furball, unless you know exactly how you are going to get out, and in which direction that will be.

Ranger Bob

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2002, 04:42:38 PM »
Well been flying the P38 and the Spitty....F6F sometimes as well.

Convergence on teh P38 set at max due to forward firing nose guns.  Spitty and F6F around 3-400...usually around 300.

Just seems when I shoot I miss...have trouble getting stable behind the guy...usually I have the nose put infront of the dude while we are in a turn.  bullets tend to go long.

Thats about it....im not a bad shot just need practice I guess.

Mike

Offline geistx

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingwhirlpoolofsuck.org
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2002, 04:07:27 PM »
Originally posted by Eaglecz
There is no word about YAK nor Typhoon .. i will have to do something about that :D

I usually fly the 190A5 or 190D9 (occasionally the 109G10).  I have found through painful experience, to respect the Yak.  Don't get caught in a turn fight with it and watch it because it can climb fairly well (not nearly as well as a D9 or G10, but pretty good).  The Yak also seems to dive extremely well and since it has limited ammo, most of the pilots who fly it are pretty decent shots!  I have had the best luck using the standard tactics of bouncing it from on high and then extending, climbing slightly to get good position again.  

I haven't figured out how to counter a Typhoon or Tempest yet.  Any advice on how to do it in a 190A5 or 190D9 would be nice.

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2002, 09:21:30 AM »
Originally posted by guttboy
Well been flying the P38 and the Spitty....F6F sometimes as well.

Convergence on teh P38 set at max due to forward firing nose guns.  Spitty and F6F around 3-400...usually around 300.

Just seems when I shoot I miss...have trouble getting stable behind the guy...usually I have the nose put infront of the dude while we are in a turn.  bullets tend to go long.

Thats about it....im not a bad shot just need practice I guess.

Mike

Try increasing the Damping on your Rudder Input...  This works especially well with the P-38... You can tinker with it and the 38 will become the most stable weapons platform in the game...  If you are using a Microsoft joystick with a twist stick for rudder, you may want to add a little increase in deadband for Rudder input also...

BOOT

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2002, 09:25:32 AM »
LOL

I just realized that was you TG12....
Never mind.... We already had this discussion...
:)
BOOT

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2002, 11:34:18 PM »
LOL....thanks BOOT.....

I have used your stick inputs and have found them to be pretty good.....helping alot actually....just gotta keep up the practice.....

thanks again....

TG:)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2002, 01:35:23 PM »
I think torque was easily the best shot I've ever seen in AH. I think for a certain level of pilot the whole issue becomes one of finding a guns solution. relative E state and angles don't matter except as a targeting variable...I swear torque used to have that C-hog rotating like a turret...all he was looking for was a 10th of a second or so. I'd love to know how those guys manage the views...I miss those shots 90% of the time. I'm off by just a bit as the nose gets around.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2002, 03:59:45 PM »
And so my training manual grows another 6 pages.  If anyone wants the better parts in a Word format, numbered pages with a nice little Aces High banner logo on the first page, shoot an email to me at twhigham@tampabay.rr.com and I'll send you my file.

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
No Subject - Read if interested
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2002, 11:37:26 PM »
I have just begun to fly Luftwaffe planes. I have pretty much mastered my E management. I only fly the 190A5 really. This is a great plane, I love it. Great perk points. Can turn fairly well. Great WEP and great speed. Might switch from my general F6F and F4U's to 190's and 109's :). I don't really like the 109's that much though. Like Urchin said you really need to keep up your speed or your screwed. I have pretty much commanded that, so Luftwaffe planes are great for me to fly!

~BlueiceJ~

Offline Pony6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2002, 05:08:03 PM »
Don't forget the roll rate of the p-51 has, a good scissors will at least prevent a shot against a b'n'zing fighter, if i'm starting to loose @ slower speeds a diving scissors seems to work pretty good unless they have great snap-shot ability. In the dive the 51 is building speed it can then hang on to for an extension, and unless he's paying good attention a superior acceleration will give the chance to force an overshoot.

Sans overshoot enough dive time will get the  51 faster than just about anything else and you have your extension with the 51's better speed retention.