Author Topic: Another point for the no "God" crowd  (Read 2378 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Another point for the no "God" crowd
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2002, 03:34:21 PM »
Once again. You don't have to be Godless to want religion out of the schools.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2002, 03:36:08 PM »
21, but how does my age reflect on anything I've said? Atleast my points have substance and are proven by not only myself, but you too.
-SW

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2002, 03:48:55 PM »
eagler.  You got my point that what you said was based on your faith.

I don't "celebrate" either.   I take any paid day off I can, however.  I exchange gifts with the family on Dec 24/25, but it's for the reasons SWulfe said.  I've tried the "please don't get me anything" line, but the parents and relatives won't have any of it.  Besides, tell me that Christmas is a celebration of Christ and I'll show you all the Santa Clauses and stores out to make a buck and say "yeah right bro, now let's watch some FSU-UF reruns!"

Leg, you totally missed my point.  The day ANY religion is 100% endorsed by this country is the day we cease to be The United States of America that our forefathers created.   I don't want to be a part of that USA, because if Christianity is the "standard" then obviously the rest of the country doesn't want me, or any other non-Christian.  Besides, England has better beer anyways.  I'm sure some of our English AHers would find a place for an unwanted, agnostic Yank.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Originally posted by Eagler
the majority of folk in this country are Christian. I do not see an issue with christian prayer being a standard in this country.

Eagler, are you avoiding the question?:

Imagine that YOUR child's teacher begins to teach your child Islam and they pray to Allah every day. What do you think about removing THAT kind of prayer from your school?

eskimo

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2002, 03:54:03 PM »
You havent proved anything AKS other than your young mind is full of taught ideas......As you grow old and gain worldly experience you will eventually form your own opinions.............

So just to comment,for catholics Jesus Christ is God, who told you he wasnt???The father is God, and so is the Holy spirit.......You got your facts wrong...........And you dont pray to the pope,,,where in the hell did you get that from???????Might pray for him but not too him.........You are right you do have substanance but not factual substanance...

Well the only fact I heard was that I am helping you prove your point..............See first paragraph..........

LAGUERRE

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2002, 03:58:07 PM »
Nifty I never said christianity........JUST GOD.......Ya'll cant read....guess you are a student too????? Oh well Im bored with this thanks for burnin up some dead time...Ya'll take care..

LAGUERRE

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2002, 03:58:22 PM »
I think our country was founded by the Puritan sect know as Separatists, which by confession of faith are non-christian but are often called christians following puritan ways. So I dont think the catholics or the christians had anything to do with it's founding. Just people who believed in GOD and thought that having GOD in their own way brought morals to their community and children.

Strange I thought they were mostly Deists & Freemasons. ;)
Or are you referring to the Pilgrim fathers?
In which case think again: you're missing all the other Colonists who turned up before your "founders" and all the ones who turned up after - French, Portuguese, Spanish, English, Dutch  etc. (who were mostly more interested in profits than prophets) & all the English criminals who were sent to the colonies as mercy rather than being hanged.
Still, as you're religiously inclined, I guess we should expect you to place your faith in a myth replete with glaring inconsistencies and not much historical evidence. ;)

Eagler - before you gloat over godless hypocritical Xmas & Easter celebration, look up the origins of these 2 festivals (tip: try looking for the dreadful pagan festivals of Yule and Beltane - both these festivals have been around long before J.C. & the Xians turned up). :D
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2002, 04:15:24 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

Nostalgia is a terrible thing and should not be trusted.

Turn off the television and the media and maybe you'll notice. Life is good! :)

I don't watch much television, and never the Communist News Network. Life is good. Politics, the Media, Cities, and Bureaucrats, are all as corrupt as the Roman Senate. The corrupt would have all good things removed from life, including Reverance.

Life is Reverance, family, work, fishing, fireworks, watermelon, camping, hiking, and flying. If, I can squeeze my girlfriend in, well all the better. :D

For the irreverant there is only Hell. Some would say hell is life on Earth. They are wrong. Life on Earth is supposed to be living. Living glorifies our God, but it is our sacred duty to worship Him, and hold all other things second. This Universe and this Life are only an experiment. Only God knows the result, but in a way he has let us in on it. When the test is over where will you be?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2002, 04:21:30 PM »
dead
why do WE celebrate them here in this country? I don't care what came first...

eskimo

I'd think I woke up in the wrong country :)

Then'd I'd send my child to a school where they taught what I believed in. Just as those who do not like what is being taught in the school their kid is in now should do. Why should we bend to the minority? I'm sure there are godless schools/communities/ countries ... if you don't like it, you are free to move  to where you do .. don't change my country/community to suit your beliefs

reminds me of cig smokers & how they should be able to smoke inside any/everywhere...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2002, 04:32:01 PM »
eskimo

Then'd I'd send my child to a school where they taught what I believed in.

You'd give up that easy?
Wow, I figured you would stand your ground and tell them to knock it off.

Would you stand up to anything?
What if teachers were sexually abusing kids in your school... Would you take action, or just go find another school and let them "teach"  how they believed?

What if you lived in a small town, and there was only one school?

eskimo

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2002, 04:45:22 PM »
You all crack me up.

Taking God out of the public schools isn't "Changing our Country". It's upholding the laws of our Country.

Conservatives tend to support those causes that seem obviously common sense to them, without caring one whit how it affects others or our freedoms. Our founding fathers wanted religion kept out of the government. I stand with Mr. Jefferson.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2002, 05:11:54 PM »
dead
why do WE celebrate them here in this country? I don't care what came first...

eskimo

Then'd I'd send my child to a school where they taught what I believed in. Just as those who do not like what is being taught in the school their kid is in now should do. Why should we bend to the minority? I'm sure there are godless schools/communities/ countries ... if you don't like it, you are free to move  to where you do .. don't change my country/community to suit your beliefs

reminds me of cig smokers & how they should be able to smoke inside any/everywhere...

Nothing could show the importance of why we need a separation of church and state more.  The fact that someone would pull their child out of a public school in order to avoid particular religious activity is EXACTLY why religion has no place in public schools.

eskimo

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2002, 05:27:27 PM »
Originally posted by LAGUERRE
You havent proved anything AKS other than your young mind is full of taught ideas......As you grow old and gain worldly experience you will eventually form your own opinions.............

No, you just choose to ignore what I'm saying.

So just to comment,for catholics Jesus Christ is God, who told you he wasnt???The father is God, and so is the Holy spirit.......You got your facts wrong...........

*SIGH* I was raised catholic, I no longer accept it or anything religion related. I do know, for a fact, that God includes all 3.. it's not the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit. You don't worship multiple God's, you worship ONE God. Just because it's made up of 3 beings does not mean anything.

The God's in other religions are God's themselves. They aren't a culmalitive group that forms a God, they are God's. Therefore saying "God" is not applicable to these people. Understand yet?

And you dont pray to the pope,,,where in the hell did you get that from???????Might pray for him but not too him.........You are right you do have substanance but not factual substanance...

I know you don't pray to the pope, of course, you failed to take notice of the fact that I said, "It still doesn't mean they're God".. get it? it was sarcasm.

And substanance isn't even a word. Maybe you were going for sustanance?(sp?) which is food... or maybe substance? which is what I typed.

I have a whole lot of good reasons as to why "God" is unacceptable to several types of religions in this country. That's a whole helluva lotta substance right there.
-SW

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2002, 07:08:11 PM »
When in the Course of Human Events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the cause which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights...

It would appear that the intent of our Founding Fathers in the Declaration of Independence was to tie our unalienable rights to an eternal and incorruptible source, unlike earthly rulers who could dispense with the rights of the people if it pleased them.  These statements in the Declaration of Independence are an attempt to refute the concept of "the divine right of kings."

Many of the men who wrote the Declaration, or later signed it, were religious men.  If memory serves, there was almost no wrangling over the wording of its Preamble.   There is almost no mention of religion in the Constitution itself, save in the first amendment.  

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
If we take the first amendment at face value, then people can exercise their religion in any fashion that they see fit, as long as it does not disrupt our domestic tranquility or the general welfare.  If a student wishes to pray in school, even a public school, there can be no law or court ruling that says otherwise.  While I would not want to see In God We trust removed from our currency my world will not come to an end because of it.

Ten years ago I spent a semester studying at the American University in Cairo, Egypt.  The members of my group had many occasions to observe Egyptian Muslims praying in public.  Many buildings, both public and private, were covered with verses from the Koran.  The insertion of religion into the government and public life was far more pervasive there than I have ever seen in the United States.  With a couple of exceptions, almost every member of my group was Christian.  Were they offended by what they saw?  No, of course not!  We accepted their right to worship in their own fashion without feeling the need to lecture them on the error of their ways.

Americans tend to be the world's biggest busy-bodies and nannies.  Both sides of this argument could exercise a little more tolerance for the opposite point of view.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2002, 09:08:48 PM »
Originally posted by LAGUERRE
Be in a life or death situation and I promise you even THE TOUGHEST(in their own minds) will cry out to God, now,,,,,,God may be in different flavors for any one person, but to say there is NO God is very foolish.  

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. Been there, done that (doesn't get much more life and death than RL war), but it is very easy to come to the conclusion that there is no God. In fact, once you get past the fear and guilt thing, it seems "very foolish" to waste one's time with any religion.