Author Topic: 'Idiot Cards' for the US military...  (Read 2141 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
'Idiot Cards' for the US military...
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2002, 04:23:20 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

I'm surprised they have crib notes, but censorship is always common in the military. During the 60s-70s they had a ban on what was termed "subursive literature" from any base I was at Stateside. This included any and all anti-war flyers, newspapers, bumper stickers (no "End The War Now" bumper stickers allowed on base) and extended to literature distributed by the United Farm Workers even. (I got gigged on that one).

We also weren't allowed to tell the senior NCOs or junior officers what we REALLY thought, and I got in trouble for that once too. Also forbidden was growing hair, either on your face or your head, and if it was too long you'd get gigged for that too. (Uh...yes, I got gigged for haircuts too. And shaves occasionally, especially coming off a 30 day leave.) Oh, and they made us keep our boots really shiny, and if they weren't  shiny enough you got gigged. (hangs head) They gigged me for being a bad shoeshine boy too which is why I never persued that career in civilian life.

gigged? sure you aren't mistaking you're military school for the military?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2002, 04:27:34 PM »
Dowding,

They do not give those cards to everyone... only to a few people.  They tell everyone else to shut up.  This has been the policy for over 20 years... as have those been standard answers for over 20 years.

You'd think it were silly or stupid if you hadn't been there.  You're British right?  So I guess you've done two years yourself.  Surely you must have had briefings as to how to conduct yourself with the media?

AKDejaVu

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2002, 05:07:19 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu
You're British right?  So I guess you've done two years yourself.  

If the British have mandatory service, this is the first I've heard of it.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2002, 05:14:15 PM »
Ah.. thought that was the case...

Had a Brit in our unit in the U.S.A.F.  Seems he said that was the case.

AKDejaVu

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2002, 05:24:55 PM »
GH
"Pongo why are you so resentful at the accidental death of your Canadian military men? Was it not an accident? Several americans died due to fratricide in the Afghan war. You arent trying to say it was more than an accident?

And my question about the Canadian army was meant to be sort of ironic. "

Your question was meant to be sort of insulting. and it was taken that way.
I am not resentful about the friendly fire incident. I have been a soldier, in that unit in fact, and I know that the guys that drop the bombs will be the guys that drop them in the wrong place.

I was pointing out to you that we do indeed have a military and we use it to support our political aggenda just like everyone else.
Is it big enough to defend us against china..no. But its big enought to participate.

Funny that you have an opinion about the Canadian military that few people that have worked with us in the field share. When I worked with the US military(Airborne, Marines, SF, Mech infantry) they were typically amazed at the capablilities of our troops. I will preserve that as the real way that the Americans that matter think about the canadian army.

You strike me as a balkan refugee that is working real hard to transplant your hate to the rest of the world so that you can feel normal. I have met a few such people here in canada. Your virilant hate, especialy of the UN reminds me of them.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2002, 05:34:46 PM »
Sorry elfensqurriel.  I dont think you have been anywhere near a barrecks.  I served from Aug of '66 to Aug of "69.  Except for basic, I had a mustache the whole time. Also, having shiny objects, about your person, is a real bad idea in combat.  This includes boots.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2002, 05:43:14 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Active military are not allowed to have an opinion. They are paid to do a job, not to ask questions.

LOL..that is sooo stupid.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2002, 05:46:59 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
Still, naive as I might be, no-one has answered my original question and the point of the thread. Have these cards been distributed in the past? Or is this a new phase of military-media relations?

In all my 14.5 years of active duty service, I have never received any such card. I have been deployed 6 times since 1990.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2002, 02:40:19 AM »
Sorry, AKDejaVu, but I haven't done military service. We did have compulsary service back in the 50s, but even my dad was too young for that and he's 54.

BTW, these weren't 'specially' selected soldiers - they had just got off the plane and were awaiting deployment to other areas of the country, or in the case of the vets, had been there 3 and a half months.

It sounds like they are distributed to all incoming personnel and are quite a new development.

Thanks for the replies, anyway.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2002, 08:54:06 AM »
ditto, Kier.

two superb troll masters, developing the cast, the lure twitch, and the riposte/recast.

Thrilling to watch, enh?

KURT TANK IS GAY!

ok, now back to the troll...
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2002, 09:07:04 AM »
Oh, Easymo... Elfie was a REMF. REMF's had shoe shines, creased and starched fatigues and VOLAR lunches.

mustaches were 'legal' but discouraged in most stateside billets. I can still remember my first sergant screamin in my face from 1/2 inch away "YOU WILL NOT CULTIVATE ON YOUR FACE WHAT GROWS WILD ON YOUR ASS!"

I couldn't wait to get the hell outta the army 15 min after I got offa the jet at Travis.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2002, 09:16:08 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)
BTW, these weren't 'specially' selected soldiers - they had just got off the plane and were awaiting deployment to other areas of the country, or in the case of the vets, had been there 3 and a half months.

It sounds like they are distributed to all incoming personnel and are quite a new development.
I kinda doubt that is actually the case Dowding.  If you were in the U.S. Military you'd know why they wouldn't do that.  Some guys are great, but some guys would need to hold that card at eye level and read it verbatum.

People are always chosen to be in front of the camera in the military.  If you are not, and you give an interview, you'll be up before your squadron commander as soon as the camera is shut off.

There's a reason the "vets" were suprised by this card... they weren't given them and that's why they weren't interviewed.

AKDejaVu

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2002, 09:21:23 AM »
Originally posted by -ammo-

LOL..that is sooo stupid.

Maybe it was a bit much... Let me restate.

Military are not allowed to express an opinion, generally. Unless you're someone with lots of stars on your shoulders.
sand

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: 'Idiot Cards' for the US military...
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2002, 09:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
I was listening to an interesting report from a BBC correspondant at Bagram Airport in Afghanistan....Watching all this were a pair of experienced veterans, sitting in a humvee.... They then showed him a small card, with a series of questions and answers, detailing how to tackle the media. A couple of the answers matched nearly word for word what he had been told by the first group of soldiers...

Good for them!  If the BBC correspondent really wanted a story, he should've hopped a ride in a Blackhawk and gotten himself air-mobiled into a fire zone like Joey Galloway at Ia Drang.  Instead, he ran to the first group of guys he saw at the airport and started spouting off a bunch of tiresome questions to which he got tiresome answers.

I can neither confirm nor deny that the BBC is littered with panty-waisted pretty boys playing war correspondent.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2002, 10:18:31 AM »
"he should've hopped a ride in a Blackhawk and gotten himself air-mobiled into a fire zone like Joey Galloway at Ia Drang."

Heh, the military would never let that happen...he might actually show that they're shooting at people!

Daff