Author Topic: Top 5 War Films  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2003, 03:22:45 AM »
Originally posted by funkedup
Did you read the book?  Don't let the poopy movie turn you off.  It's a great book, one of the best 3 or 4 books on war that I have read.
And as crappy as the film was, it was a far more realistic portrayal than Apocalypse Now, at least from my reading of books by people who were over there.

Yeah of course its more realistic on a technical level, but less realistic in how it portrays war as honorable and noble.

I dont think Coppola intended for Apocalypse Now! to be realistic at all and thats not the point of the film.
IMO the best Vietnam war movie  when it comes to that is Full Metal Jacket, followed closely by Platoon. Just a gut feeling, cause I was not in Nam, thank (deity of choice)

I have not read that book yet. I know the book is better, I just had no time to read it till now. Did you read 'Band of Brothers'? which one is better in your opinion?

Only modern war book I have read is Blackhawk Down (years before the movie, the others are all on medieval warfare, or just about warfare itself (Art of War, etc)

I also have to read Saburo Sakai's 'Samurai!'. So many books so little time. Damn you party and masturbation!!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:25:40 AM by Animal »

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2003, 03:27:48 AM »
I don't know which movie is most realistic.  I'm just a civilian weenie.  But after reading accounts from guys who were there, it is hard to watch movies that have obviously fake things going on.

Band of Brothers was a great book.  But "We Were Soldiers Once And Young" moved me a lot more.  Probably because it was written by guys who were there, and because the fighting at LZ Albany (NOT shown in the movie) was so terrible.  And you get to hear some of the enemy's perspective too.

Blackhawk Down was a great book of course, and I recommend reading anything else you can get your hands on from Bowden.

John Keegan is always fun, too.  He uses a lot of big words but it's worth it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 05:14:17 AM by funkedup »

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2003, 03:32:44 AM »
Originally posted by Animal
You are right on the realism, but the message the film tries to portray, and how it delivers, is outstanding, IMO.

That movie really has an eerie aura of pure madness.

And as you said, the acting is good. The briefing scene, where the Captain is explained his mission, is superb, not to mention the begining of the film.

The aircav scene may not be accurate but it does a good job as a parody of men who simply LOVE war. IMO Duvall's character is a good example of what Patton was.

There are very, very few movies who seemed to tell it like it was (Band of Brothers saga is the only one I can recall, and some scenes from SPR) but then again, how can we know? Not even war veterans can tell you what war truly is, because it takes so many diferent forms. WWII is not Vietnam. WWII wasnt even the same kind war to someone in the pacific or eastern front. All we know is war IS hell, and movies like Apocalypse Now and Platoon do a good job in inmersing the viewer in that HELL atmosphere, wether its realistic or not.
/flame suit ON

I dont think Coppola intended for Apocalypse Now! to be realistic at all and thats not the point of the film.
IMO the best Vietnam war movie when it comes to that is Full Metal Jacket, followed closely by Platoon. Just a gut feeling, cause I was not in Nam, thank (deity of choice)

Well it is supposed to be a loose telling of the Heart of Darkness, and with the Redux edition, it makes good on that.

I thought the film is exellent and a visual masterpiece and I totally agree with the suggestion about Duvall's Col Kilgore being a parody.

Your correct about realism of war in films. BOB did do a good job but possibly the best (for me) is the ending of Gallipoli, and the portrayal of the Light Horse charge at the Neck.

Tronsky
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:40:08 AM by -tronski- »
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2003, 03:41:17 AM »
Originally posted by Rasker
how about "The Enemy Below", Kurt Jurgens, Robert Mitchum (1957?)

Outstanding! I completely forgot about that one! This is what I was hoping for when I started this thread, all the great films that have slipped into oblivion. :D

Here's a few more:

Gung Ho! (Randolph Scott kicks some serious prettythang and look for a VERY young Robert Mitchum as "Pig Iron")

Strategic Air Command (More of a Pro-USAF film than a War film...but great aerial stuff!)

Paths of Glory (Early Kubrick at it's best!)

Stalag 17 (Bet on Snicklefritz to win!)

Run Silent, Run Deep  (Not The Bungo Straits!)

Castle Keep (Must Bruce Dern ALWAYS play the wacko?)

The Cane Munity (The messcooks were stealing Strawberrys!)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 04:08:37 AM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2003, 08:09:09 AM »
Oh man i didnt know dr strange love counted. thats like #2.  That movie ruled.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2003, 08:10:20 AM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
Oh man i didnt know dr strange love counted. thats like #2.  That movie ruled.

I'll 2nd that.

Odd enough, I first saw that movie in Jr High or HS.  At school.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2003, 08:24:47 AM »
There are so many great war films, but seeing as the originator of this thread asked for only our top 5.....here are my top five truly great war films that are not to be missed:

1. Das Boot

2. Paths of Glory

3. Saving Private Ryan

4. The Bridge on the River Kwai

5. Tora! Tora! Tora!

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2003, 09:08:09 AM »
No "Deer Hunter".......????

Whats with you guys....

Thats a great movie, tragic but great...

I think Platoon was very well done also...

Full Metal Jacket has the best Basic Training scenes ever...  Very realistic...  That Drill gave me chills with his role, plays it to the hilt with the walk (in half parade rest with one arm flailing) and all....

"get off my obstacle"

I chuckle ever time, My basic platoon had a private pyle.  So it hits close to home...  (we called him the general... he was a national guard delayed entry know it all type...)

Private Ryan for its realism of combat....

2 cents...

DoctorYO

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2003, 09:11:13 AM »
#1 Zvezda ("Star," in Russian)  
WWII Russian flick about a group of scouts (razvedchiki) who go deep behind enemy lines to find out what's cooking.  Latest film was made in 2000.  Nothing beats Red Army scouts in their one piece camo coveralls, packing PPSh41s :)  Based on a book by Kazakevich in the late 1940s.
ingame: Raz

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2003, 09:46:51 AM »
What exactly did you all dislike about "We Were Soldiers"?

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2003, 09:48:48 AM »
I think Apocalypse Now is a terrible movie that requires a generous dosage of acid or another hallucinagen to completely grasp and understand. Just my 2 cents though.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline MoMoney

• Copper Member
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2003, 09:52:58 AM »
"Apocalypse Now" is based on the very, very famous book by Joseph Conrad, "Heart of Darkness."  Read the book and you will understand the movie.

Midnight Clear was a good war movie...

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2003, 10:39:59 AM »
Hmmm... listing favorite war movies doesn't really work for me.  For most of them, there are scenes I thought were well done, and scenes I couldn't stand.

How about just outstanding scenes:

Saving Private Ryan: The first 20 minutes.  This opening scene gave me the impression that all other war movies completely failed to grasp the horrors of battle.

Gallipoli:  One of the best potrayals of trench warfare at the end of the movie.

Das Boot:  Best depiction of U-Boats ever.  The tension and earie quiet were rivetting.  The movie was ruined by being typical German.  Anyone that cites hollywood as only releasing happy ending films and loves German films because they all end with everyone dieing is living a Paradox.

Band of Brothers:  Excellent depiction of artillery barages... and the fox hole battles of WW2.  One of the best all-around releases.

Blue Max:  The best portrayal of fighter pilot egos ever.  Topgun may have captured cocky... but this movie captured fighter pilots... even if it was only WW1 planes.

Big Red One:  When Lee Marvin hands Mark Hamill another clip near the end of the movie.  Also, several scenes were "borrowed" for other WW2 movies.  The acting was a little sketchy, but the script was way ahead of its time.

Catch 22:  Unrealistic, but suprisingly similar to real life.  Amazing that you can't realistically portray the military without being unrealistic.

Green Berets:  My first introduction to "Puff" (A C-47 gunship)

Dark Blue World:  Perhaps some of the best British Channel / British air defense movie scenes ever.  Overall a very good movie.

Top Gun:  Made me realize spectacular fight sequences and realism are not both necessary to enjoy a movie.

That's all I can think of right now.  There are alot more scenes I could list with the time and if I still had the memory I had when I was young.

MiniD

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2003, 12:24:57 PM »
You enjoyed Dark Blue World?  I keep wanting to rent it, but Im afraid Ill be disgusted by inaccuracies, RC aircraft, and some form of a love story.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Top 5 War Films
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2003, 12:27:48 PM »
I don't really know much about spitfire variants nor LW variants, so those things don't really bother me one way or the other.

The movie itself is excellent.  The battle scenes are definately what I'd consider to be tactically realistic... even if the wrong era spitfire may/maynot have been used.

Its definately worth renting.

MiniD