Author Topic: Enough is Enough!  (Read 4340 times)

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2003, 10:33:54 AM »
Heres an idea If you dont agree with it dont look at it:D

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2003, 10:38:41 AM »
Schadenfreude,

Doesn't matter.  Insert your God of choice and see how it would strike you.  

Eagler, you sidestepped the question.  Same situation, except the rock is blatantly anti-Christian.  Would you want the rock removed?  Honestly, what would you want done?

The difference between us is that even though I am an atheist, I will not hesitate to point out when other athiests have crossed the line.  If an atheist judge had installed a rock supporting his (lack of) beliefs, I would call for it to be removed as well.  On the other hand, I see many Christians supporting that rock simply because it fits their beliefs.  Did you see the fanatical man on the news a little while ago, screaming and shouting to put the rock back?   I see so much hate and intolerance in that man that I can't sympathize with his cause.  I do, however, applaud the cooler heads in the crowd who tried to calm the man down.  

Personally I'd rather have a judge that believes in his own abilities and is not prejudiced one way or another on the topic of religion.  I don't want a judge who feels that his beliefs are more pertinent than the laws of the United States.

If the Christians don't enjoy our separation of church and state, they can go ahead and disregard the very principle that freed them from oppression in Europe.  Please don't ruin it for those who still appreciate it and rely on it.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2003, 10:39:15 AM »

I think youre all looking at this in far too much detail.

I read Bodhi's post not as 'pro-religion' or 'anti-seperation,' but rather as an example that shows the division in our country between those who are Liberal in their views and Conservative in their views.  For purposes of clarification, Im using the two terms in their definition sense of the word, not necessarily in their political meaning.

con·ser·va·tive:  1.)  Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change

lib·er·al:   1.)  Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas.  2.)  Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.

This is not to say that Conservatives are automatically religious maniacs, as many of us detest the same firebrand types as you (Liberals) do.  

We're we differ can be seen above in the simplet definitions available; one side of the argument is happy with the way things are and we wish to maintain our way of life.  The other side is discontent with many things and wishes to bring change to society.

Change is a good thing in many respects.  The views of a Liberal minded person are most welcome in many circumstances, and in most cases, I think you will find that many Conservatives will jump on the boat with you once a convinceing arguement is made and agree that change, in a particular area, is necessary and would improve life for the vast majority of the population.

The problem today, as I see it, is that there are no problems.

Speaking from a purely domestic point of view, what is wrong with our country?  

Sure we have poor, but we also have rich.  Thats capitalism.  Of course we have homeless, but again, thats a byproduct of capitalism.  We do everything in our power to help these people along in the form of shelters and mana's, but at the end of the day, this is the land of opportunity, not the land of free handouts.

These are irritations in the grand scheme of things.

The conservatives' frustration comes from the fact that no matter how many times we take a step back and agree that something should change, its never enough.  Liberal minded people seem to be constantly searching for something wrong with everything.  

Lets be honest here, how many of you are grossly offended by the fact that hurricanes dont have racially diverse names?  How many of you are honestly offended by a plaque of the 10 Commandments outside a courthouse?  How many of you are loosing sleep because the State of Florida wants a Muslim woman to remove her veil for a drivers liscence photo?

These are not problems.  They are simple issues that people disagree on.  Disagreement is ok, but its no excuse to be marching off to the Supreme Court foaming at the mouth.

You dont want to read the 10 Commandments?  Dont read them.  Why is it that the people in the gay thread preaching about tolerance and acceptance are the same people in this thread preaching about intolerance for somethign else?  Are you only tolerant of behavior that you dont see a problem with?  Being tolerant of something suggests that whatever you are tolerant of is something you disagree with.  I disagree with homosexuality, but Im tolerant of it.  I dont go knocking down doors of the local gay population and try and catch them pushing their **** in.  I let them do what they like - Im tolerant.

You, on the other hand, take a different approach, and its the approach that causes even more anger.  You do in fact knock down doors in an attempt to change the way people live their lives.  You are not tolerant.  You want change, and if change is not wanted by the rest, you lobby Congress for laws that force others to conform to your wishes.  Liberalism today is the ultimate incarnation of hypocracy.  How can you champion tolerance, acceptance, and totallack of bigotry, while at the same time, utilize meathods completely at odds with your mindset to achieve your aims?

I believe Bodhi's point was that the Liberal segment of the population has grown too large and too used to getting what they want as long as they use keywords like 'harrassment,' 'bigot,' 'caveman,' or 'discrimination.'  By contrast, the Conservative segment of the population is fed up with bending over backwards in an attempt to appease you.

Where does it end?  It started with the Civil Rights movement, a most worthy cause, and an instutution deserving of change, as agreed upon by both ideologies... but then you decided that cartoons were too violent, soda was bad for you, cigarettes should cost $5 a pack, and you, under no circumstances, should be complimenting a woman on the way she looks in the workplace.

What he is saying is that this trend needs to stop.  

These colonies, and indeed this country were/was founded on a single principle: Freedom.  In the United States, we believe in freedom, liberation to attain that freedom, and force to protect that freedom.  

Our government for the passed 200 odd years has reflected this.  Freedom to be an individual, ungoverned by a ruling class, is why people came here.  Freedom FROM government.

Lately, it seems that this trend is dying.  Some of the legislation over the past 15 years is almost scary.  No longer is our government protecting our rights to be individuals in a free and safe society, but it has folded to public pressure from individuals confused enough to stand in front of an Israeli bulldozer, and is now dictating HOW we should live our lives.

Bodhi's, mine, and many other peoples' concern is that this trend has continued for long enough and at this point is only causing a wider rift between people and inflicting damage along the way.  

Not everything needs to be changed.  Most of the flaws have been worked out after 200 years of operation.  Sure there are more, the healthcare debate, the threat of extremists terrorist organizations, and others, but they will all be dealt with in time.

Whether or not we've ever had a 'Hurricane Jay-Z' is not one of the big issues facing our society today - so please - stop treating it as such and expecting us to take you seriously.  And after you figure out that we're not listening, please dont resort to taunts of 'caveman' and 'racist.'  Its growing tiresome... especially when the usage of such terms is aimed only at forcing conformity through shame or embarressment.

Not everyone is interested in conforming to your rules or your definition of what the status quo should be.  As Americans we are ALL different.  Different in culture, race, and creed.  

This is something to be celebrated, something to take pride in... it is not to serve as the fuel for some of you to continue in your crusade further sterilize this country by removing every shred of human emotion, desire, and belief.

Liberals claim to be tolerant of all - so why not let all of us be different?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 10:46:39 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2003, 10:45:21 AM »
Can you put that in two sentences please?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2003, 10:49:07 AM »
If the Christians don't enjoy our separation of church and state, they can go ahead and disregard the very principle that freed them from oppression in Europe. Please don't ruin it for those who still appreciate it and rely on it.

Yawn.  "The Christians" wrote the constitution you pretend to care so much about.

Your  hypothetical situation where a judge installs a rock delaring that there is no God has a simple solution.  People would use the democratic process to petition for the rock's removal, and if he insisted on keeping it, they would petition for his removal.  In this case, if the people who want the rock removed lose, they lose.  There is no need to run to a federal court and have the rock declared unconstitutional.   If the judge delcared that only aetheists were entitiled to justice, that would be different.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2003, 10:50:37 AM »
Lets be honest here, how many of you are grossly offended by the fact that hurricanes dont have racially diverse names?

I am.  There should be a hurricane MoFo.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2003, 10:51:40 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Can you put that in two sentences please?

Ill do you one better and tell you how you'll feel about it based on your previous posts.

You disagree.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2003, 10:55:12 AM »
See, that wasn't so bad
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2003, 10:56:30 AM »
mark
blatantly anti- god would have to be santanic

I think it would be removed

our laws are a by product of the ten commandments - sorry - that is history

they are not a by-product of some atheist beliefs or the lack of

the cameras run to every nutbag zealot at something like this as to try to paint us all with the crazy brush

so is moving the rock to another hallway good enough? I mean it is still in the gov building "infecting" the employees in their hallway preventing you from a fair trial :rolleyes:
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2003, 11:02:47 AM »
Where in the constitution does it mention the ten commandments?

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2003, 11:22:51 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Where in the constitution does it mention the ten commandments?

Read  the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut, often considered the predecessor of the U.S. Constitution.

In part, it states that the Governor and his council would “have power to administer justice according to the laws here established; and for want thereof according to the rule of the word of God.”

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2003, 11:27:05 AM »
Does it mention the ten commandments in the constitution?

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2003, 11:29:12 AM »
Guess what the constitution dosnt mention it. The founders of our country were mostly deists. Not baptist nutjobs who give out handjobs for christ or whatever they do in that church.
At least my ancestors were never converted to that silly middle eastern religion. All these religions that come out of some crappy place with alot of sand are evil. They promote converting everyone around them and if someone believe's in something that is different its wrong. It's like if a 5 year old came up with a religion.

Where's my statue of Odin dammit!

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2003, 11:29:48 AM »
Personally I don't think that the rock was "infecting" anybody.  I believe that Christianity is good for our society in some of it's teachings.  I am thankful that some otherwise nasty people feel that they have to answer to a higher power, and therefore are kept under control.  That's not directed at anyone in this thread, I'm just saying that it has brought some order to our society.

But I feel that more and more people are finding that they don't need to be religious to live good lives and be good people.  As an athiest I don't feel the need to steal or murder or to cheat people.  I respect people because of my character; I don't need somebody to tell me to do that.  Sure those values were probably founded in Christianity, but I can have those values without being a Christian.

I just don't want to see religious beliefs affiliated with our government.  If you were in the minority (about 25% of the country is not Christian according to religioustolerance.org) I'm sure you would want the same thing.  I'm not against Christianity.  I'm against any religion trying to gain affiliation with my government.  Put the rock in a church where people who truly appreciate it can see it and enjoy it.    

I don't consider myself a liberal or a conservative.  I take things on an issue-by-issue basis and make my own conclusions.  I feel that both sides have their strong and weak points.

And what about the old "if you don't like it, don't look at it" argument?  On anything other than taxpayer-funded property, I would agree with you.  This is not the case, however.

Offline Frogm4n

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enough is Enough!
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2003, 11:34:32 AM »
mark has the right idea. If this is allowed its just a slipperly slope to a christian theocracy. And then ill have to become a gun owner.