Author Topic: What would you change and why?  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
What would you change and why?
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2004, 05:43:34 PM »
Originally posted by MadSquirrel
If this were the case, you might as well fly MS Combat Sim 3.  

The land grab helps determine where and when a fight ensues.  It helps determine how many are there and how many stay in that particular battle versus go defend or attack another location.  It determines what aircraft you fly and what if any ordnance you carry.  And in many cases how vigorously you fight to hold something such as a carrier.

But back to the subject, What would I change and why?  Make the whole darn airfield or V-Base LANDABLE! ! !

LTARsqrl  

Originally posted by mars01
I'm jumping in at the end here butt...

I disagree with this.  This might be the thought process for tool shed battlers, but personally I look for a large number of enemy cons and a few number of friendly cons.  The land grab only screws up decent fights.

A perfect example is last night in AHII, I think the fight was between A1 bish and I forget our base #.  Point is there was a nice steady fight of Bish and Rooks fighting it out between the two bases.  Next thing I know some spoil sport typed over country channel "I just killed all the fighter hangers at A1".  That was the worst thing that could have happend in my eyes.

Only thing the current land grab does is keep people from fighting other planes.

mars While you may disagree that this is how you play AH. You certianly cannot disagree that this is how the game plays out Day after Day 24/7.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2004, 06:01:37 PM »
Taken from HTC Home Page:
High fidelity air combat is the heart of Aces High

all the rest was an after thought........

Mugzee wrote:
PS. I still think that HTC should create an Arena strictly for Dog Fighting. This way the debate would end. And the "Aces" could really prove their metal against other "Aces" Not against Bombers and Heavy-laden fighters trying to dive on a ground target. However, the crying would still continue. Because the "Aces" would complain that there aren’t enough noobs to pad their score.

The true sim pilots don't care about scorewhoring, they only here for the FIGHT   in the air.....

but we all have our own opinion .....

The only thing I would like to see change is everyone shut up and Fight/Fly ............moderating has its merits

added: some look at it as a "game" of course you would with it keeping score/stats
others look at it as a sim, and are only here to do aerial combat, is why some don't mind if HTC rraised the cost back to $30 a month to weed out the gamers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 06:07:28 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2004, 06:04:22 PM »
I agree thats how it plays out for the land grabbers, but I was just making the point that it is not the end all and be all of the game.  As well the AtoA factor is not the end all and be all of the game.

It is an interesting combination.  If HTC could minimize the bad impacts one has on the other I think gameplay would be much better.  Tough to do because they are conflicting interest.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2004, 06:16:06 PM »
I agree thats how it plays out for the land grabbers, but I was just making the point that it is not the end all and be all of the game.  As well the AtoA factor is not the end all and be all of the game.

It is an interesting combination.  If HTC could minimize the bad impacts one has on the other I think gameplay would be much better.  Tough to do because they are conflicting interest.

Seriously...does it really have a bad impact for either mindset?
Its a mear inconvience at best. Players claiming they cant find a good fight. What is a "Good" fight? Thats a Huge question.
On another note:A lot of guys claim that they dont like big maps because they dont want to fly a half hour to find a good fight. paaleesssss...there is a fight within 25 miles of almost any front line. And at 300mph+...how long could it take? Oh...they mean a fight where they have an Alt Advantage? well....thats different. :D

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2004, 06:22:12 PM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
So your basing your opinion on the "Name" of the game? I mean really. To think AH is a product that was specifically and only designed for Virtual Fighter “Aces” to duel or furball seems silly to me.
Seems like a ton of work that HTC has went through to accomplish the "means" you speak of. Eeee gads man, just make a map with 2 bases and Duke it out. On the contrary, i am more inclined to believe they had much more in mind. They added Bombers to the game along with a complex strategic re-supply system. Factories, Cities, Convoy's, trains, and anything else i may have forgotten to include. Oh yes, there are (Tank’s) Did I say Tank’s? Hmmm don’t see how (Tanks) fit in “airiel combat”. They developed a World "WAR" Two simulator. Intentionally or not they developed a War Sim nonetheless. I think the developers had a larger audience in mind. They developed a game that would draw from at least two mindsets or interests. WWII wana be Fighter “Aces”, and those that would like to be a little more in depth with the WAR game. Therefore the "end" of the "means" is $$$$$$.  And that is marketing savvy. A thoughtful approach would have to conclude that AH1 or AH2 is a WAR sim by design. Which of course includes both types of players. Land Grab is here to stay. And actually is what the game is all about as per design.
PS. I still think that HTC should create an Arena strictly for Dog Fighting. This way the debate would end. And the "Aces" could really prove their metal against other "Aces" Not against Bombers and Heavy-laden fighters trying to dive on a ground target. However, the crying would still continue. Because the "Aces" would complain that there aren’t enough noobs to pad their score. :D

It's nice to have all that land stuff going on , it makes for a OK background/wallpaper when your'e flying around.

Isn't that's why they did the GV stuff . Would be better still if it was AI though, it could better trained. ;)

Redd
I come from a land downunder

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2004, 06:46:53 PM »
Seriously...does it really have a bad impact for either mindset?
Its a mear inconvience at best. Players claiming they cant find a good fight. What is a "Good" fight? Thats a Huge question.

Your right AtoA probably doesn't have a negative impact on the land grabbers, but as I stated in my first note, yes land grab does have a negative impact on good fighter action.

A good fight, as you allude to, is a huge question because there are alot of factors that come together to make a good fight.  Most of the factors are random and left to chance and that is why a good fight is something that doesn't occure all the time and why it is more than a mear inconvience.
On another note:A lot of guys claim that they dont like big maps because they dont want to fly a half hour to find a good fight. paaleesssss...there is a fight within 25 miles of almost any front line. And at 300mph+...how long could it take?  
Paaleessssss is right.  Sure if I could up a plane and instantly go to alt and 300MPH, then you would have a point.  The truth of the matter is, if you are climbing out, at best your speed is between 150 or 250 MPH that is slow.  If you not climbing aggressively and you climb out at 1k per min, you still have to drag the 25 miles plus and for what?  Just so you can fly around.  So ok it takes you 5 mins to get to the fight.  That is a long time staring at a computer screen doing nothing.  
Oh...they mean a fight where they have an Alt Advantage? well....thats different.
If bases are closer together, you don't have the distance and time to climb to god awful gotta have the alt advantage heights, so I don't see the logic in your assumption.

Offline MadSquirrel

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2004, 06:54:39 PM »
Taken from HTC Home Page:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High fidelity air combat is the heart of Aces High
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all the rest was an after thought........

Hold the bus!
Lets read the rest of that quote:

High fidelity air combat is the heart of
Aces High, but it doesn't end there.  In addition to
flying a multitude of aircraft types, players can
also man vehicles, boats, amphibs, gun batteries,
and ships.

Hello ! ! !  Seems to me that there was more in mind than just air combat.

You don't need Gun Batteries or Vehicles to air dual now do you.

LTARsqrl  

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2004, 06:55:43 PM »
ok how about this, for so many days and hours,,  say ummmmm like for 9 days 4 hours each day  of the tour ... have AH go forward in time, backwards for us. <^>v one of those  ;).  like that movie (final countdown)? i think thats the name ???.. where a modern carrier goes back in time to pearl harbor.. eh? , well..... need i say more..... thats 3 days for each country.. not sure how to work out the details.. but  who cares(not me) just gimme a f15  18  f6 sneek a  a10 or two on board for them armor proof tanks!!! geezzz just  something with flames comming out the engine, (and not from being shot in a spit by la7.. :)  jet flames!!!!, dont even need heat seekers, rad rckts , just slap 20 or 30 mm on em!!! who yah!!   Now that would be really freaking cool.....    of course not real cool if it aint your 3 days, but when it is your countries 3 days  4 hours per day... wow!!!!  how freaking exciting.... tee hee!...  of course the really good guys would never get in a jet they'd kill us all in there yaks and p47's...   for real!   make it for two hours... what could possibly happen in two hours? lmao!!! except fun city. (for some id say)...  ... new read'n here folks! .... Hey how about them green bay dodgers this year? them there forwards making them there touch downs and those shortstops making those field goals,man I never thought they would so far ahead in only 50 laps , who knew?.......  

..i..

>;^(

Tactic
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 07:00:58 PM by tactic »

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »
Your right AtoA probably doesn't have a negative impact on the land grabbers, but as I stated in my first note, yes land grab does have a negative impact on good fighter action.

A good fight, as you allude to, is a huge question because there are alot of factors that come together to make a good fight.  Most of the factors are random and left to chance and that is why a good fight is something that doesn't occure all the time and why it is more than a mear inconvience.
 Paaleessssss is right.  Sure if I could up a plane and instantly go to alt and 300MPH, then you would have a point.  The truth of the matter is, if you are climbing out, at best your speed is between 150 or 250 MPH that is slow.  If you not climbing aggressively and you climb out at 1k per min, you still have to drag the 25 miles plus and for what?  Just so you can fly around.  So ok it takes you 5 mins to get to the fight.  That is a long time staring at a computer screen doing nothing.   If bases are closer together, you don't have the distance and time to climb to god awful gotta have the alt advantage heights, so I don't see the logic in your assumption.

The “fighter types” constantly harass the “Land Grabbers”. Who while flying around to find a “Fair Fight” “Good Fight” “Fun Fight” The fighter types have learned that laying in wait for the Heavy-laden fighters over the target (Their base) can score multiple easy kills on the Dive Bombing fighters.
Yep that confirms it. A good fight is one in which YOU have an Alt advantage :p
:)

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
      • http://www.eastex.net/moto
Changes I would like to see
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2004, 08:36:29 PM »
I would like to see channel 1 done away with because of all the profanity and ill humored insults. The channel is nothing more than a chat room for insults and goading other players.

I would also like to see the Goon and M3 drivers that capture a base get some recognition on the big board like kills get.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2004, 08:53:06 PM »
Moto, you can do away with it, at your own desire

.squelch 1

Good idea on giving M3  drivers and C47 pile-its recognition. a lot of people want even offer to use one of these.

and Mugz, LTARsqrl.

I interact with all apsects of AH, regardless if it is taking a base, defending, or just plain out dogfighting.

But it does say that  AERIAL COMBAT IS THE HEART! then it says that is not all. so if you haveth no heart how do you survive?

The thought of a fightertown might be good, who knows. maybe call it  TopGun Showdown? or even "SHOWTIME" lol....
but we really already have something similar called the DA it just isn't the same though.  it could use some variation maybe?  to where you could have 3 fields or 9 max 3 per country but all on a level platform or vary slight variation in altitude.  and maybe even for the proclaimed ACES that don't say they bother with score, have a stats board or score board like the MA and CT do.

The DA is never full, the CT is never full and a fightertown would never be full, but that is what some want a place to fight nothing else, with maybe 30 to 40 max attending at any given time.

My Apologies Morpheus, for getting off the subject
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 08:56:30 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2004, 09:25:07 PM »
Mugs most be trolling or too dug in dogma to think independently anymore.

I do not see how any player would be satisfied with the current war sim presented in AH where strategic targets are rather useless and heavy bombers are deadliest in divebombing runs.

Ending the landgrab and attaching winning the war to achieving a more creative set of strategic objectives would be a better use of strat, resupply, and our heavy bombers.

The comment about frustrated fighters cutting through buffs and attack planes is also amusing. The most interesting thing about the landgrab mindset is the distain they have for air superiority.

Probably because the current war model has shown that they do not need it. Something completely at odds with reality, but there is a sense of entitlement in AH that buffs and attack planes should be able to operate w/impunity in airspace not under their control.
Hornet

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2004, 09:39:48 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet
The comment about frustrated fighters cutting through buffs and attack planes is also amusing. The most interesting thing about the landgrab mindset is the distain they have for air superiority.

Probably because the current war model has shown that they do not need it. Something completely at odds with reality, but there is a sense of entitlement in AH that buffs and attack planes should be able to operate w/impunity in airspace not under their control.

Totally disagree here. I have my missions broken up more that 80% of the time if we attack from Alt. Which is proper and totally expected of the NME. If anyone thinks he doesnt need Air superiority to attack from anywhere above 500 ft. AGL...you NUTS!!.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2004, 12:05:02 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

The thought of a fightertown might be good, who knows. maybe call it  TopGun Showdown? or even "SHOWTIME" lol....
but we really already have something similar called the DA it just isn't the same though.  it could use some variation maybe?  to where you could have 3 fields or 9 max 3 per country but all on a level platform or vary slight variation in altitude.  and maybe even for the proclaimed ACES that don't say they bother with score, have a stats board or score board like the MA and CT do.

The DA is never full, the CT is never full and a fightertown would never be full, but that is what some want a place to fight nothing else, with maybe 30 to 40 max attending at any given time.

My Apologies Morpheus, for getting off the subject

What is really needed is something like we had in AW. That is in the center of the  map several incapturable feilds that the furball folks can go and  still be in the arena where the crowd is.

I think the layout of Festers newest map creation (I forget its given name) Demonstrates this pretty well  with alot of furballing going on in the center of the map and landgrabbers concentrating ont he parimeter untill the hoard shows up to gobble everything in sight
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2004, 02:52:35 AM »
"Land grab" is here to stay, and isn't going away. The problem is that because of the various warning systems (flashing map, bardar, siren, "base under attack"), stealth missions are all but impossible. Even doing a NOE attack, the game is up and the enemy will be waiting. So the only way to achieve capture, depending on the numbers online, is the numerical supremacy smashdown. The exact pattern may change with AH2.

I enjoy the base capture business as the end to justify the means, the end being the capture and the means being the air to air combat - not the other way round.

But folks need to understand that this is not a binary issue. Lazs once said that there were two types of players - fighters and building battlers. It's not a black/white issue. There are shades of grey in between. I've sometimes ended in the top 100 fighter ranks, and I wouldn't be doing that if all I was doing was building battling.

For those who don't want to see land grabbing, don't want to see hordes, don't want to have to fly more than 3 minutes to get to a fight, don't want to see their fuel porked, don't want to see their FH levelled or their fun otherwise spoilt by buffs and want only air to air combat, I have some great news. There is an arena specifically designed according to your needs. Why it isn't used more beats me. I just don't get it.

:confused: