Author Topic: How do you protect  (Read 2395 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2005, 06:54:26 PM »
SaburoS,

I did not want to be in that position to begin with. No matter how justified my action, I would still have been shooting another person. 10 years earlier I probably would have pulled the tire iron from under my front seat and asked him to leave. Then, I was stupid enough to believe I had an edge from years of training in Kenjutsu and Aikijutsu. By the early 90's I had stopped training in Martial Arts because I wanted to make a living and provide for my retirement and find a lady who would want to be with me. When I was working at QRS in Richmond CA, the 2 homicides so close to where I worked made me look at myself honestly. I'm not superman, I did not want to be shot and my now O'l lady worked as an HR Manager at QRS and kept the same hours I did.

I am a healthy coward. I want to live. But I was not going to hand my freedom, my girlfreinds and my co worker freinds freedom over to a criminal in the parking lot if there was a chance I could do something. I do not know what the word is to describe a person who is so selfish and afraid that they will sacrifice the lives of others to stay alive one second longer. I don't want to wear that lable. I love the gift of my life and so I love it for others. I chose to live with the consiquenses. I have noticed many of us these days would prefer to avoid this reality at all costs. None of my co workers were willing to do anything for their own safety or even approach the subject.

Guess I have rambled. I don't have an answer. I made a choice.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
How do you protect
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2005, 07:03:51 PM »
The examples quoted above are just the reason I shoot in IDPA competion about once a month.  You need to be under some type of 'pressure' to do any good.

If you ever have to use a firearm to protect yourself it most likely will be in a confusing situation, in bad light when you are scared to death.

It's also the reason I use 9mm.  You're not going to stop an attack unless you can hit the Attacker and 9mm gives you the best chance of getting the two good 'hits' necessary in that situation .

Or, you can just be a 'victim'...

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2005, 07:08:14 PM »
bustr
 Lived here all  my life and yeah crime happends lol. I almost got arested for street racing in the area you mentioned.

Why would he make it up?

Why did he make up being an EMT?

Or SNiper?

Or expert scuba diver?

you cant trust anything he says, though since this one is not as flatering as his uber sniper image it MAY be true? Who can tell? Who really cares?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »
Originally posted by wombatt
1974 shakey's pizza parlor in Englewood Colorado after football game.

Some friends and I were standing in line when two guys burst in waving pistols around.

One of them came up to my friend an I and said turn around and face the wall.

And ya know what?
Thats exactly what we did.
No one was hurt they made a get away.

The first line says it all. 1974. It was a whole different world then. Nowadays in a lot of instances the robbers/attackers are so high they are doing good to know what planet they are on . A lot do not care whether you live or die in a situation like this and there is a lot out there that will cap your *** just for the pleasure of it.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2005, 07:20:41 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Out of curiosity.
How many here have actually been in a situation to be attacked by surprise?
How about robbed? If so, what type of threat/weapon did they use?
I'm 43 and have never been attacked or threatened with an attack.
My dwellings have been burgled twice in my lifetime.

You must be charmed.
  I have been attacked in my lifetime more times than I can count and with just about everything in the book from guns to chairs.
  I still carry some lead in my back from a 12 gauge. My wife missed it when she was digging the rest out.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2005, 07:30:52 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
bustr
 Lived here all  my life and yeah crime happends lol. I almost got arested for street racing in the area you mentioned.

Why would he make it up?

Why did he make up being an EMT?

Or SNiper?

Or expert scuba diver?

you cant trust anything he says, though since this one is not as flatering as his uber sniper image it MAY be true? Who can tell? Who really cares?

If I have offended you I offer my apology.

I have a freind who is a Vietnam vet, he was at hill 56 as a 3rd Marine sniper. We used to shoot together at the range in Anthony Chabot Regional Park. He passed on to me everything he learned about shooting. But that does not make me a sniper. He used to get a bit peeved when people called themselves what they were not. I don't know, Iv'e never met anyone on this board.:)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2005, 07:40:17 PM »
Bustr
 No I am not offended at all. Its good to see someone who knows my area hehe

If you do not know the sad story of wombat and all his IDs, his threads, his lies and foolishness you are either missing out or lucky!

I have fired my share of rounds up at chabot, hehe nice range when it is not raining ehhe.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
How do you protect
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2005, 07:48:10 PM »
A coupla years ago (and no, the gun debate here hasn't changed one lick since then - only the names of the rappers on the Billboard 100) I asked "in what circumstances has anyone actually had to use a gun." The same question as was just posed here.

There wasn't really any response to that, except that I remember something like Lazs waking up to noise, and chasing off some guy/s trying to steal his car.

Meanwhile, he plays up the fact that city folk live in a minority-laden cesspool, while he lives in the crime-free nirvana known as Dixon California. Yet... the guns. For... protection.

I'm not pro-gun. I'm not anti-gun. I'm who-gives-a-rats-arse-about-guns.

To me? Honestly there is a psychological component at work that can't be ignored. Fantasy-land. It's about being on the defense. Perceived threats. Daydreaming about the time (which is never going to come unless you are a statisctical abberation) when you actually have to use it.

Super-hero type fantasy chit.

I'm gonna take a stab at why that is. Or at least one aspect. And I aint talking about hunting.... that's a whole nuther thing which I understand completely.

K.

Lets take a typical hobby. Fishing, or say golf. Now when someone buys the required equipment, they get to actually use it. And spare me the "gun ranges," because that's tantamount to casting a lure into my back yard.

Guns weren't made for shattering bottles. That's just prep-work for the show that aint never going to come. Or will it? .. ah, "what I'd do, if..."... BAM! Back into fantasy land.

So what can a gun owner who will never get to use his gun do except daydream about using it? Nothing.

But what kind of hobby is that? What can a gun enthusiast get enthusiastic over?

Really, it is the possibilities... The "ifs". Fantasyland.

So what gives these fantasies real juice? It is the crime statistics; it is the defense of the 2nd Ammendment; it is in reading magazines about other people's statistically rare brush with a gun being used by somebody somewhere.

And it is in defending pretty-much insignificant objects on a BBS.

They may not get their dream gun fight ever in their lives, but they can get fights about guns. I suppose that will have to do. Not many facets to being a gun enthusiast, and so not a hell of a lot of other options. Arguing about guns is every bit as much a part of owning a gun as using one.

Show me a gun owner who doesn't care what the hell you think about him having a gun, and I'll show you the rare Ginkacto bird found only in the deepest reaches of the jungle Quanzania.

Conversely, tell me that my fishing rod kills innocent fish and you'll be lucky if I'm feeling arsed enough to reply. That is if I'm not already out fishing.

Neways... have at 'er.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 08:11:51 PM by Nash »

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
How do you protect
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2005, 08:10:23 PM »
Originally posted by bustr
If I have offended you I offer my apology.

I have a freind who is a Vietnam vet, he was at hill 56 as a 3rd Marine sniper. We used to shoot together at the range in Anthony Chabot Regional Park. He passed on to me everything he learned about shooting. But that does not make me a sniper. He used to get a bit peeved when people called themselves what they were not. I don't know, Iv'e never met anyone on this board.:)

Well would be glad to shoot the bull with ya any time bustr.
It is refreshing to hear from someone that might know what the hell he is yalking about.

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
How do you protect
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2005, 08:13:38 PM »
Originally posted by bustr
SaburoS,

I did not want to be in that position to begin with. No matter how justified my action, I would still have been shooting another person. 10 years earlier I probably would have pulled the tire iron from under my front seat and asked him to leave. Then, I was stupid enough to believe I had an edge from years of training in Kenjutsu and Aikijutsu. By the early 90's I had stopped training in Martial Arts because I wanted to make a living and provide for my retirement and find a lady who would want to be with me. When I was working at QRS in Richmond CA, the 2 homicides so close to where I worked made me look at myself honestly. I'm not superman, I did not want to be shot and my now O'l lady worked as an HR Manager at QRS and kept the same hours I did.

I am a healthy coward. I want to live. But I was not going to hand my freedom, my girlfreinds and my co worker freinds freedom over to a criminal in the parking lot if there was a chance I could do something. I do not know what the word is to describe a person who is so selfish and afraid that they will sacrifice the lives of others to stay alive one second longer. I don't want to wear that lable. I love the gift of my life and so I love it for others. I chose to live with the consiquenses. I have noticed many of us these days would prefer to avoid this reality at all costs. None of my co workers were willing to do anything for their own safety or even approach the subject.

Guess I have rambled. I don't have an answer. I made a choice.

No you did not ramble at all.
Probably the most intelligent post in this thread .
I like you am a survivor and being the happy idiot that I am will
run like a rabbit if thats what it takes to survive.

storch

How do you protect
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2005, 08:16:09 PM »
Bustr
 No I am not offended at all. Its good to see someone who knows my area hehe

If you do not know the sad story of wombat and all his IDs, his threads, his lies and foolishness you are either missing out or lucky!

I have fired my share of rounds up at chabot, hehe nice range when it is not raining ehhe.

I'm pretty sure wombatt isn't MrBlack.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2005, 08:18:52 PM »
Bustr
 Take him up on it, then you can see all his "proof" lol. Just keep in mind it has been posted and many guys who are legit here debunked it.

Maybe womby has gotten better with photoshop!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 08:22:27 PM by GtoRA2 »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2005, 08:19:41 PM »
Nash,

On a lighter side,

I enjoy renovating WW2 battle rifles that I buy for less than $250. It's fun to me going from finding the deal, bringing it home, restoring it if needed, then casting lead bullits and hand loading rounds for it. There is no garuntee that all of my work will result in a 2 inch pattern at 100 yards. More often at the start a 3-4 inch pattern in an upper corner of the target. Then I'm left with the fun of doing load workup to find the optimum powder load that will tighten my pattern. I also get to spend a day with a bunch of like minded and very personable folks at the range enjoying and sharing the results of my efforts.

Kinda like restoring cars and customising the engine and drive train to get that speed fix. Then going out on the weekend with your freinds to try it out.

I know many owners of firearms who don't live the fantasy you speak of. Some number of them spent active duty time in awfull places and the bearing of arms is a part of their lives. Once you have been there the fantasy like virginity is gone. I'll have to think about when the last time was I wished for something that awfull to happen to me and those I love. Isnt that sorta counter productive to having a loving family, a successful carrer, and folks who love and respect you as a good human being?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2005, 08:27:53 PM »
Bustr
 Take him up on it, then you can see all his "proof" lol.

GtoRA2,

I don't know wombat. If he gave his word to skuzzy then thats good enough. Each of us has to live with how we display our lives to others. I find Boards like this a bit too seductive because we are each anonymous. I will attempt to comport myself in a manner that I can live with.:) I hope you and wombat can at least find ground to enjoy some part of your mutual discord.:)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2005, 08:28:27 PM »
Storch,
 he is, he admited it when he had a minny melt down and went on about how he was there when he and drunky were to meet and drunky did not show..

thats proof, and he is not longer trying to hide it.