Author Topic: How do you protect  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
How do you protect
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2005, 07:06:03 PM »
Originally posted by Krusher
heyyy I thought Jews didn't eat pork :)

i thought christians go to church every sunday :)

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
How do you protect
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2005, 10:43:14 PM »
Originally posted by Flyboy
i thought christians go to church every sunday :)

Drumroll Please LOL:D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How do you protect
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2005, 08:35:38 AM »
dead... you are right... you would probly do better in hong kong than I would.   I see no rational reason why I would want to change that.  

lazs

Offline JoOwEn

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
How do you protect
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2005, 09:58:16 AM »
Anybody ever heard of brazilian yoga? Its suppose to teach you to be able to bend your legs and arms in strange ways like around your head and still be a lethal defensive technique.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 10:00:25 AM by JoOwEn »

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
How do you protect
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2005, 12:55:05 PM »
All this talk of "all you need is a gun" is BS..

Unless you want to invest the same or more amount of time becoming a quickdraw artist then having some form of HTH training will greatly benefit your gun control training.. (and note im pro - gun)

Laz's how many guns to you carry on your person at all times..  1-2  (3 wtf...?)

how long does it take you draw you weapon to ready...  (i'd say at least a second if the weapon was already charged and 1.5 -2 seconds on a uncharged weapon..  (on average give or take on your skill level..)

well a skilled HTH person is going to flail you twice (not movie stuff or bawroom brawl crap, more like eyegouges shin kicks and neck punches, grab you hair and slam it into concrete that sort of stuff..) and move into grapple with you to fracture your hands knees whatever they can get a hold of (ears nose bitting eye spoon etc..) in the time frame it would take you to ready your weapon..

Now i dont know about you but most criminal attacks are preeumptive and of surprising nature..  as such IMO a hybrid of martial training and gun control would be the superior response to whatever threat level the perps could muster....

if you have distance to the attacker a gun is a superior weapon to any martial art..  But in close a firearm suffers the same problems that all other weapons suffer at hth range they must be directed and as such are vulnrable to tried and true techniques designed to stop knifes, swords , and clubs.. (note techniques refined for centuries)

So dont sell all your stock into Gun is the only answer crap...   If anything your martial training will build hand eye coordination, help determine threat level (the most important) and give you close in options under surprise attack..  Also it gives you options to use non deadly force where you wont have to defend yourself in a court of law even if you were in the right becuase some buddy of the perp lies and said you preumped and shot his friend..

Some states allow civil suits by the perps even on your own property for shooting them..  do your homework.. it would be a sad day when you shoot a perp trying to rob you only to have his medical bills leeched out of ya by some sympathetic jury..

DoctorYo

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2005, 01:05:02 PM »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
How do you protect
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2005, 02:56:10 PM »
yo... I am still in relatively good shape... most are not.   I have also had the benifiet of a lot of street brawls...  Any agressive person that is close enough for me to touch is a threat.

Threats are all of different levels.  I most certainly will try to strike or knock down someone very close.   I will maintain distance.  I have very little training except some sportsman boxing and the aformentioned streetfights but..

It is my experiance that very few fights survive much past the first few blows no matter the skill of the participants.

It is also my experiance that no matter how well trained... If the attacker is armed with any weapon you are better off with a gun.

It is also my experiance that criminals are nervous and will allow you to reach in your pocket for your valuables.   A 340 pd smith and wesson is better to bring out than your wallet.

Iwould agree that 9 out of 10 times if you are capable there is a good chance that you will prevail without a fiream if you are in good shape and..... mostr importantly... If you have the will..  it is surprising how many people will not actively seek to maim or even harm another human being..  

This human trait has nothing to do with "martial arts".   Martial arts does not train you on how to react when your nose or jaw is broken or your eyes are filled with blood.

Mostly tho... you will not be attacked unless you are in a situation that breeds that.... women and booze.    Most people are not so much attacked as.... robbed.

stay out of the bars is probly the best "martial arts" advice I can give.    keep your distance is next.

lazs

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
How do you protect
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2005, 03:48:03 PM »
Out of curiosity.
How many here have actually been in a situation to be attacked by surprise?
How about robbed? If so, what type of threat/weapon did they use?
I'm 43 and have never been attacked or threatened with an attack.
My dwellings have been burgled twice in my lifetime.
I feel quite safe in present day America.
We have a much higher chance of getting in a car accident or dying from complications of a poor diet/lack of excercise/tobacco and/or alcohol use than by a gun, knife, bat, etc.
These gun threads are kind of silly with the "we'll be so much safer without them" arguments. Fact is we're all going to die one day. The odds of it being ended by violence will be very small.

I don't want to be a part of a society that thinks that by banning things like guns, knives, etc, that all of a sudden we'll be safer. We won't. People will continue to use "tools" to further their aims regardless of the laws.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
How do you protect
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »
1974 shakey's pizza parlor in Englewood Colorado after football game.

Some friends and I were standing in line when two guys burst in waving pistols around.

One of them came up to my friend an I and said turn around and face the wall.

And ya know what?
Thats exactly what we did.
No one was hurt they made a get away.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2005, 04:05:05 PM »
womblat
 since the story is made up anyway you should have said

"I spun around and used my judo sniper hand of death attack and killed him in one blow"

In you case it would be just as credible.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2005, 05:42:29 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Out of curiosity.
How many here have actually been in a situation to be attacked by surprise?
How about robbed? If so, what type of threat/weapon did they use?
I'm 43 and have never been attacked or threatened with an attack.
My dwellings have been burgled twice in my lifetime.
I feel quite safe in present day America.
We have a much higher chance of getting in a car accident or dying from complications of a poor diet/lack of excercise/tobacco and/or alcohol use than by a gun, knife, bat, etc.
These gun threads are kind of silly with the "we'll be so much safer without them" arguments. Fact is we're all going to die one day. The odds of it being ended by violence will be very small.

I don't want to be a part of a society that thinks that by banning things like guns, knives, etc, that all of a sudden we'll be safer. We won't. People will continue to use "tools" to further their aims regardless of the laws.

March 1998 Oakland California.

I came home at lunch time and parked my vehicle in front of my house. A gentelman was standing in the alley between my property and my neighbors holding a kitchen knife. I stepped out of my vehical, keeping it between me and the person and asked why he was on my property. He lied telling me the lady who lived in my house had said he could. I had left her 15 minutes earlier where she and I worked together. I asked him to leave my property because he was trespassing. He refused. At the same time he hid his knife from my view behind his back. I asked him to show me what was in his hand. He refused. I stepped to the front of my vehicle and unzipped my fanny pouch placing my hand on my glock 27 in preparation for a cross draw. I then gave him 2 choices, run away now, or I would shoot him. He chose to run, and we are both alive.

Being that I live in california, this is Oakland, and I am white while he was black, I did not want any adittional problems. His choosing to run was sufficient for me. During the late 90's I worked in Richmond CA for a EDI company QRS Corp. at a bay front business park. 2 miles away was a neighborhood the local PD was not willing to go into after dark. In 2 years there had been 6 shootings with 2 fatalities within a mile of where I parked. Both of people working in the business park. One shooting was a hollywood style drug dealer bust shootout in a parking lot 300 yards from my parking spot. Since I often went home after 9pm at night, I chose to carry.

At the time it seemed prudent, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. All of the stances on morality in history will not bring your life back.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline wombatt

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
How do you protect
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2005, 05:48:41 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
womblat
 since the story is made up anyway you should have said

"I spun around and used my judo sniper hand of death attack and killed him in one blow"

In you case it would be just as credible.

Since I gave my word to Skuzzy I simply will not let the likes of you taught me into a pissing match.
Enjoy yourself.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2005, 05:57:30 PM »
Your self control will crumble, it always does.

Still that should have been funny even to you snipperboy.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
How do you protect
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2005, 06:00:23 PM »
wombatt,

I beleive you. What reason would you have to make up such a story? I used to work in Fremont CA in the early 90's for Media Vision sound card company at a business park off of 880 near the land fill. GtoRA2 is from Fremont. He knows crime happens. Fremont has its share. Some people get caught in the middle.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
How do you protect
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »
Bustr,
Too bad they don't have stats for those situations where having a gun prevented violence, injuries, and even death. Your specific case proves that.
Would you have confronted the stranger if you weren't armed with a firearm?
Amazing how a firearm in the right hands frees us from fear and can actually prevent violence.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell