Author Topic: Rate has doubled?  (Read 5005 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2006, 05:06:38 AM »
We do have a huge problem with car thefts which may play for increasing rates. The government has all but legalized car thefts. They're called use without permission in the law. Totally f'ed up and results in car theft being comparable to shoplifting.

As what goes with violent crime / guncrime, the above said stands. Crimes here happen almost totally between people who are either related or drinking together. They do happen but they happen in private. It's practically impossible to see violent crime if you stay out of private drinking parties of the alcoholics or nightclubs. In the bars and clubs fistfights (or even chairfights :lol) are daily and common. No guns allowed there though. :D

I've never met anyone who would have got held at knife or gunpoint except when having a tourist trip to Brazil. ;)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2006, 05:11:24 AM »
There's so much conflicting information.

Snip from travel.state.gov US official travel information:

CRIME:  Although the crime rate in Finland is low compared to the U.S. and most European countries, it has increased in recent years.  However, Finland remains a relatively safe environment.  Americans visiting Finland are seldom victims of crime, but visitors should not be complacent regarding personal safety or the protection of valuables.  The same precautions employed in the U.S. should be followed in Finland.  Finnish police services are excellent, however, some police officers speak little English.  Due to the low crime rate, Finland has one of the lowest numbers of police of any European nation.  Outside of key sites in major urban centers, they rarely project a visible presence; consequently, response times to crisis situations may be unpredictable.  The telephone number for police and other emergency services throughout Finland is 112.  All forms of public transportation are considered safe.  Street crimes, such as muggings and pick-pocketing, remain relatively uncommon, but do occur.  

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1115.html
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2006, 06:19:51 AM »
Most americans don't obsess about guns. I'm 52 and can truthfully say I've never pulled a gun on another person yet. That doesn't mean there wasn't a time or 2 I wasn't tempted.

But discretion was bred into my generation, and when you hate conflict you try to avoid it.  But, for at least 30 of those 52 years I have slept better knowing if I needed it, it was there. Also knowing that  no one had the right to take it away from me  as long as I didn't abuse it.

That is peace of mind for this gun owning pacifist.

BTW I personally tend to prefer shotguns, I have 3.
And yes the 12 gauge is loaded and within  easy reach of my bed.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 07:04:05 AM »
Do you have kids ghosth?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2006, 08:21:09 AM »
This is pretty funny... Americans are too worried about personal safety?  LOL..

Ok so the top countries have about a 500-700 per 100k chance for each and every citizen being seriously assualted.... A handgun for the weak or woman or infirm can weigh 12 oz and fit in your front pocket and be no more trouble than a cell phone...  hardly a big deal...  and.. as GTO points out.. they are fun to own shoot and reload for... and talk about...

Now... your chance of getting into a car wreck in all these countries where a seatbelt will save you from serious injury is about 1 in 100k or a little more... but...

you all wear seatbelts like good little sheep... you cinch em up every time you get in the car... they cut into your nexck and restrict your movement and get in the way and take up your time... they are never any fun and no one every talks about em..

Using carrying a gun for personal safety against possible serious assault against wearing a seatbelt every time you drive in order to prevent serious injury...

It would appear that the seatbelt wearer is far more neurotic about "personal safety" than the gun toter and.... with no redeeming value other than to look dorky and be uncomfortable.

Any criminal in england could get a handgun in less than a week.  Your bans did not change availability...Your penalties may have changed usage and stronger penalties for criminals using guns makes sense to me.

lazs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2006, 09:23:33 AM »
you all wear seatbelts like good little sheep... you cinch em up every time you get in the car... they cut into your nexck and restrict your movement and get in the way and take up your time... they are never any fun and no one every talks about em..
:rofl

Is that a direct quote from darwin awards site? :lol

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2006, 09:49:07 AM »
Who can blame them for wanting a gun?

You never know when a mean ol' Grey American Squirrel might attack.

Offline Harry

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2006, 09:54:07 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Because they are fascinating mechanical marvels.

They are fun to shoot.

They are fun to modify.

They are fun to take apart.

Hell they are fun to build.

They are like Mini hotrods.

Good answer.

Offline Harry

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2006, 10:05:58 AM »
Originally posted by mydavis
Now everyone from Europe ....tell us how you dislike that Americans have guns and know how to use them ? and in the same sentence you can thank us for writing in english instead of german.
( Your Welcome  ! )

Why should I thank you? Don’t tell me you fought in WWII?

then lets ask the people of the world who americans have died defending thier freedoms ?

Who exactly are you referring to? I bet for every one person you can find that thanks America I can find ten who curse you.

PS
Im sure the people of Ireland who are under Englands control, are happy thier forefathers had no access to guns.

I’m not sure what you mean. The People of Ireland are not under English control, they are a free nation. The People of Northern Ireland chose to be a part of Great Britain in a referendum.

Offline mydavis

• Zinc Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2006, 11:31:14 AM »
no I didnt fight in WWII, but members of my family did.  you could thank them but for the fact that their dead !!

so not only are you defenseless, you seem to be ungrateful as well.

You mean the people of england actually think the Irish choose of thier own free will (without any undue influence) to live under british law.  
You also believe the Irish wanted to be conquered by England and starve to death when the Potatoe blight wiped out the only crop they were allowed to grow.

hmmmm, do you think India also decided to live under british law and be looted by the english ? wonder what Gandi was complaining about ? that ungrateful heathen !!

If you think these people didnt mind living under a foreign invaders rule, why the  disagreements you englanders had with the germans a few years ago ?

Offline mydavis

• Zinc Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
And yes you can say without any doubt,
The gun laws in the UK are working !!

The citizens dont have guns, but the criminals do.
So any time a criminal wants to Rape, Rob, assault a citizen, the citizen cant fight back.  (Which is AWESOME if your the criminal)
So the UK gun laws are working to disarm the law abiding citizens.

this is why there are fewer gun deaths in the UK, but the rate of all other crime is very high in a country where all other factors contribute to a low crime rate.

Here in the US, the rate of death from handguns is higher, because we shoot the criminals.  contributing to lower rate of other crimes but adding to the number of gun deaths.

I actually feel very safe knowing that the law abiding citizens I know are carrying guns, I wish more would.

Offline Harry

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2006, 02:12:45 PM »
no I didnt fight in WWII, but members of my family did.  you could thank them but for the fact that their dead !!

My point exactly. I don’t owe you anything, not even my respect (unless YOU earn it). We both know that the people that fought in WWII are mostly gone, and that America today is not the same America. America today is the hated military juggernaut that conducts preemptive warfare … much like WWII America used to hate Japan for doing.

so not only are you defenseless, you seem to be ungrateful as well.

I’m grateful your forefathers, in the course of defending themselves, happened to help my forefathers as well. To bad their sons and grandsons turned out to be so similar to what they fought against.

You mean the people of england actually think the Irish choose of thier own free will (without any undue influence) to live under british law.  
You also believe the Irish wanted to be conquered by England and starve to death when the Potatoe blight wiped out the only crop they were allowed to grow.

When Ireland was invaded by the British there was no such thing as a handgun. Spears and swords were the weapons of the day, and the Irish had plenty of weapons themselves so your point is mute. In 1922 the many different Irish counties held a referendum on whether to leave the United Kingdom and form an independent Irish state. What now is the sovereign state of Ireland elected to leave. What now is known as Northern Ireland elected to stay British. End of history lesson.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2006, 02:36:53 PM »
ripley... if you are far more likely to be seriously assaulted that to get into a car wreck where seatbelts will save you from serious harm and you wear a seatbelt but choose not to have a gun...

It is you who is the darwin awards poster child.

lazs

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2006, 03:46:34 PM »
Why is it that Europeans are constantly worried about US gun laws? For that matter, why are Americans worried about British and European gun laws?

Does it really matter? I mean, I'm not going to carry my handgun when I go to Europe...*shrug*

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rate has doubled?
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2006, 05:30:21 PM »
No lazs.. I'm nowhere near as likely to be assaulted lifethreateningly as I am in danger while driving 50 000km a year. And a seatbelt is an easy and free lifepolicy which helps the most in low speed collisions like on urban areas. I feel uneasy if I leave the belt off and it's a complete automation to put it on even for 10 yards distances.

I could carry a gun all day long, but it would be more likely that I'd accidentally shoot myself in the leg or one of my kids would play with it than having to use it for self defense. When you pull a gun you must be ready to shoot to kill, too. The other party might be armed too and shoot in self defense. Perfect example of a simple pickpocketing escalating into use of deadly force. It is however way more likely that the other party is not carrying if such a situation should arise.

Which it won't. I've had 2 car crashes so far but never have I faced a situation where I needed or even wished I had a gun with me.

You just can't understand that in our society people do not feel so unsecure that they have to arm themselves for whatever imaginable threats.