Author Topic: HT, Donut map FT  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 04:23:25 PM »
Originally posted by ghi
HTC reset the bases in FT , and disabled C47s/M3s/jeeps,
Thx, nice job!:)

HiTech!

Thanks for being open to this approach!

(If nothing else, it will reduce BBS server load considerably when donut is up....)
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 04:29:31 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
How are they different?

they are the only fields on any map in rotation that you can't up anything that carries troops.  I would call that different.  I would further say that it shows that those 3 fields were indeed for huge furballs, and not to be bombed, and / or captured.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 04:30:08 PM »
Originally posted by ghi

WTG HT. :aok

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2006, 04:31:43 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
they are the only fields on any map in rotation that you can't up anything that carries troops.  I would call that different.  I would further say that it shows that those 3 fields were indeed for huge furballs, and not to be bombed, and / or captured.

Is this new?

Can't they still be captured from the outside?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2006, 04:32:27 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
leaving the rest of the country under the bloody grip of the enemy horde.

Heh, now you all have to admit, that's funny.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Interesting Statement
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2006, 04:33:26 PM »
What I see is a bunch of people who lost a base they like, and can't deal with it.  

It seems to me that everyone lost.... even the rooks. FT is known as a place for pilots that like furballs. Any pilot, any team. So one team capturing the other two bases in fact hurts furballers on their own team. I'd hate to know I thought so little of my own team mates and Squad.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Re: Interesting Statement
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »
Originally posted by Shuffler
It seems to me that everyone lost.... even the rooks. FT is known as a place for pilots that like furballs. Any pilot, any team. So one team capturing the other two bases in fact hurts furballers on their own team. I'd hate to know I thought so little of my own team mates and Squad.

Understand, it is as much a desire to grief the other side as it is to force thier on countrymates to come and fight the war with them.

I am sure you have heard it said on country channel, "Furballer are wasting resources"

Moot point anyways, GOD has acted!

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2006, 04:49:27 PM »
If it's so hard to capture, then how did a single country conquer the entire FT in the first place? Were your own horde guys somewhere else hitting empty bases? Pleas for help to defend FT fall on deaf ears?

*snicker* Man, it sucks, don't it?

Just like it sucks when people defending other bases asks for help to all the guys in FT to come down and help defend bases, and the FT guys just merrily ignores it all and have their own fun, leaving the rest of the country under the bloody grip of the enemy horde.

Comes around, goes around.

Like Nightshift says, just make a Bish/Knit Co-op and evict all them Rooks outta FT.

....oh wait.. this sounds like 'strat' thingy or 'tactical' thingy. FT guys hate strat/tactical stuff.. they like furballs, right? So FT lovers can't possibly start any organized co-effort to deal with a common enemy who took away their playground.

Yup, you guys are on the right track! When one country starts conquering FT with force, run straight to the boards and cry about it. Maybe the developers will instantly intervene and solve all the problems for all the FT lovers (who obviously don't love it enough to try and take it back with organized force of their own)

*snicker*

Man, my cynics hormone levels are way high tonight.

Just lost a lot of respect for you Kweassa.

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
Is this new?

Can't they still be captured from the outside?

It IS new.  Pyro just did it today after he reset the FT fields back to their proper owners.

And yes, troops can still be brought in from other fields, but with 20k walls, and a multi sector flight, it makes it much harder to be done.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2006, 04:51:02 PM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
Kwearsa,  I think I called you an idiot in the past.

I think I was right.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA now thats funny. No offense Kweassa, but that was just delivered so well.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2006, 07:31:06 PM »
when ever some tards take all the ft bases the ft guys shoud spend the week killing barracks and to make that easer send some bombers to the grunt training. that will keep the barracks dead longer. of coarse if some of the ft guys would take 5 mins out of vultching and keep the barracks dead in ft  its doubtfull the tards would ever take and bases in ft.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2006, 08:02:38 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
And yes, troops can still be brought in from other fields, but with 20k walls, and a multi sector flight, it makes it much harder to be done.

But not imposible , last week on Fester's map i killed 2 rook M3s at A21, 10k hill without spawn, 1 sector away from closest base

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2006, 09:10:06 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
No one is quitting. You can't quit AH. It has no pity...no remorse, and it won't stop until you are dead!

Ain't that what I told you a while back?:D

Hell, I'm not flying right now, but the itch will come, and I'll scratch. I haven't even cancelled my account. You know it's bad when you pay for 60 days and don't fly.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2006, 09:11:03 PM »
Originally posted by ghi

That gives me hope. I might come on back soon. Thanks HTC.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
HT, Donut map FT
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2006, 10:05:37 PM »
Who made the map? Ask that person what the intent of those 3 bases is.

I made/designed the map.  F6Bomber implemented it with the AH1 map building toolset.  He and others of my squad had input and review at each successive stage in the building.

The full and only intent of "Fighter Town" was to have a place where furballers could go and have fun without any strat considerations.  This was intended to reduce some of the impact of the strat vs furballer, endless conflict, in game and on the boards.,

The design parameters were (I know some of these sound cynical but they are factual):

Able to take off in a N1K and HO someone from another base in 5 minutes or less
Place the town so close to the field that field ack covers town
Make fields large so as to practically prevent all hangars being down at once
Place additional ack (if allowed) at the field to deter vulching
Isolate the fields from the strategic map area
Position fields so that it is near impossible to "sneak" capture from outside airbases.

We reviewed and considered all sorts of possibilities to prevent the towns being taken - even including placing them under water (not possible).  In the end it was decided that it was up to the player base to appreciate the concept or otherwise.

The only answers that I have identified to the problem, that is the point of this thread. is either player behaviour has to be modified through peer pressure or HTC have to make a decision to keep their customers happy and simply reverse FT captures as they become aware of it.

BTW in development it was never referred to as Fighter Town.  I am not a furballer by nature.  I always called it the "Hole".  It was easy to name the map in reference to this.  Also the map you play on was one of the late betas not the finished product.  It was all that we could find after the map was deleted from our drives after having languished for so long unused.  This one came from an old backup we had originally forgotten.  The finished product had a better clipboard map, shore batteries, corrected spawns and some repositioning of bases.  C'est la vie.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.