Author Topic: Pelosi now thinks she is the president.  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Pelosi now thinks she is the president.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
What? Pelosi is anti-American because she points out that the power to go to war lies with the congress and not the president?

The horror, how dare anybody talk back to your precious, incompetent George Bush II.  His feelings might get bruised and we can't have that of his imperial majestyship.

The President is clearly made the Commander in Chief of all of the armed forces, in Article 2, Section 2. In this role, the President has the ability to defend the nation or to take military action without involving the Congress directly, and the President's role as "C-in-C" is often part of the reason for that.

The congress maintains the sole right to "declare war".  They do not control the military however, as Pelosi is trying to maintain.  The President at any time can decide to authorise force against the Iranians for acts of war against our troops and interests.  Which, is very clearly happening.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »
Another point to consider in defence of my belief that Pelosi is completely off base.  Under the War Powers Act of 1973, the president has 90 days after introducing troops into hostilities to obtain congressional approval of that action.  That in a nutshell is how Pelosi is wrong in her statement.  The President can and could introduce hostilities by congress's own actions.  They created the War Powers Act after Vietnam.  But, the sole problem with that act is it infringes on the President's rights under Article II, Section 2.  This is why almost all President's since have basically ignored it.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 04:54:19 PM »
Sorry, the Democrats in the Senate and House signed on to the war.  Do overs are fine in games like Yahtzee when the dice fall off the table.  Wont work in real life.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »
5- Flamebaiting, trolling, or posting to incite or annoy is not allowed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 11:25:15 PM by MP4 »

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Re: Pelosi now thinks she is the president.
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 06:47:16 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi

As far I was aware, the constitution provides the president with the ability to send in troops for 90 days before requiring an act of congress to continue.

It's actually 60 days.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Pelosi now thinks she is the president.
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
It's actually 60 days.

It is 90.

(Sec. 5(b)). Following an official request by the President to Congress, the time limit can be extended by an additional 30 days

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Re: Re: Re: Pelosi now thinks she is the president.
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 06:56:13 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
It is 90.

(Sec. 5(b)). Following an official request by the President to Congress, the time limit can be extended by an additional 30 days

You are correct sir.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pelosi now thinks she is the president.
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2007, 12:07:13 AM »
Originally posted by Donzo
You are correct sir.

Ty

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 12:41:42 AM »
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 12:53:52 AM »
you can thank George Bush for making Nancy Pelosi speaker of the house.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 01:34:47 AM »
of course, and its bush's fault that i have a flat tire,,,,,,
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 03:09:29 AM »
is his fault u atribbute quote to lincoln he nevar said too...drum rolls....boosh

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 03:22:49 AM »
I think that it's fairly obvious that the problem is that we have not a Republican, but a Texan in the White House.  

GWB, Iraq, Texas....  LBJ, Vietnam, Texas....  

Anybody that would call that God forsaken ****hole home must have questionable judgement...  except for you Skuzzy... except for you.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »
Originally posted by Yeager
you can thank George Bush for making Nancy Pelosi speaker of the house.

I blame the wishy washy no stomach for war Americans for that, not Bush who is doing what we ALL wanted on 9/12 - destroy terrorism before it destroys us.  Seems we are probably going to destroy ourselves with just a tiny bit of outside influence ... wtg Yeager, nice flip flopping sir!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 07:48:52 AM »
Actually, Bush never had a chance.  His administration was marked for destruction from the very beginning by democrats embittered by his refusal to roll over and play dead in the election recount controversy in 2000.  As one democratic leader said in the aftermath of the Supreme Court ruling in Bush's favor;  "We aren't forgetting a DAMN thing!"

Their hands have been on their dagger hilts ever since, just waiting for the right moment to strike.

I doubt any president in recent memory has been so despised by an opposition party than has Bush.  Not even the antipathy held toward Clinton by some Republicans can approach the hatred many on the left have for Bush.

That hatred was placed on the back burner after 911....but only briefly.  The Iraqi War was the perfect issue for the left.  They could read all the intelligence reports on Saddam's activities, reports which Clinton himself had believed, vote for military action, and yet safely repudiate the war if it suited them.

And repudiate it they did.  During the last election, cognizant of the fact that Americans lack the capacity for sustained military endeavor, they demagogued one of the least bloody of American conflicts into a "quagmire."  With the willing cooperation of the press and Hollywood's elite they were able to turn the tide of public opinion.

Now that they have won, they appear at a loss as to what to do about the war.  Somewhat like Robert Redford's character in the movie "The Candidate."  But they have promises to the electorate to keep, so a precipitate pull-out is a definite possibility.   Pelosi and crew will force it, no later than the fall of 2007, so that it can be turned into an election issue for 2008.

In that event, all the blood shed by our troops and the wealth spent by our people will have been for nothing.  The blow to our presige will be substantial.....but they won't care because they will have gotten the "demon" out of the White House.