Author Topic: 109k or P38L  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I left it off the list as the L is generally used as a ground attack platform.  You could certainly add it.

But is that correct? The l is the same as the j just better high speed performance?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
109k or P38L
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 01:37:42 PM »
Originally posted by Chubbie
But is that correct? The l is the same as the j just better high speed performance?

http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php?p1=p38g&p2=p38j&p3=p38l

You will see that speed & turn radius of J and L are virtually identical
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2008, 01:50:18 PM »

I couldn't tell you about high-speed performance differences between the two.  I've only flown the L a couple of times and the J a handful of times so I can't really compare on that limited experience although I can tell you they are competant fighters.  I've spent most time in the G as I most often like to turn-fight and it's the best of the 3 at it.

Maybe Ack-Ack or Guppy or Benny will chime in to help you there.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
109k or P38L
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

Yes, but only slightly better. As they stand in the game they are very close.

Offline bushi

• Zinc Member
Re: 109k or P38L
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »
I cant decide what to fly. I'm a decent pilot in IL2 and WWIIOL but this game is completely different. I can't seem to do anything right. I can get 4 kill missions but half the time people just HO you all day long. I've tried avoiding the HO but that just to them getting a deflection shot on me and ripping my tail off. I love the handling on the 109k but hate the torque and I don't like the low ammo loadout on the 30mm. I love the guns on the p38 and the vertical capability, but it seems like the 109k outclasses it in every way that matters.

I would say the K4 over the 38 if you insist on using a plane that isn't lower ENY.  It has much more survivability than the P38 and will help you develop better SA. As far as the low ammo loadout if you consider one 30mm hit is pretty much a kill on anything except buffs and maybe some attack planes, it really is comparable.

Go with the K4, it forgives mistakes you make in it like getting into a bad situation much quicker than the P38.

Sidenote: Part of the handling of the K4 is learning to use the torque to your benefit.

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »
J and L are very similar. One edge the L has are power ailerons, which is nice.  I like the J better, not sure why though.  Not much to add, to what has been said, except...If you get good at dog fighting, you are going to be a good pilot.  Learning the qualities of all planes, will make you better able to get the most out of your plane against other planes.  

Bottom line, don't fly something because you think you need to have a better plane.  Fly stuff because it is simply fun to fly.  The 38 is every bit as capable as any other plane generally speaking.  When matched up against a K4, you have got a battle on your hands, but you haven't lost the fight from the beginning....even if equal pilot skills.  Mistakes can still be made.  I think there are only a few planes that b'n'z is the most viable option, either one of these planes can fight in different fashions, the versatility is a big asset.  Though the 109 seems to hold some big edges, the 38 is a fantastic plane in it's own right.  It does many things well, but is not the best at anything.  If you are a better pilot, there is a good chance you will win. If it's fun, do it.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »
I like the 38 because it is smooth and my gunnery sucks. I like the 109 cause it gets me out of jams easier but it's a very bumpy ride for me and my gunnery sucks. My k/d is getting worse and worse every day, I'm not improving, it wouldn't be as frustrating if I wasn't a combat sim vet with 5+ k/ds in all the other games I play. As it is, I'm not having fun getting shot down every time when I'm nearly always the one doing the shooting down in the other games.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
109k or P38L
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »
Do you film and review your combats? If not, you should start doing it. I learned mostly by watching and analyzing how I was shot down (I actually never was trained at all ... maybe I should some day ;) )

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »
Yea and a lot of my deaths in the p38 are from people pulling ridiculous deflection shots then stalling out after killing me, it's frustrating.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Do you film and review your combats? If not, you should start doing it. I learned mostly by watching and analyzing how I was shot down (I actually never was trained at all ... maybe I should some day ;) )

I never visited the trainers OR watched films.  All trial and error (lots of errors... and it shows).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »
I think that's the wrong way to learn. I never did either, and told myself "I'll figure it out myself" -- well I wasn't. I even realized I kept telling myself that, but forced myself to watch films and read tips and whatnot on the forums.

You might figure something out in 5 years by yourself, or you might read up on it and perfect it in 3 months. So yes, you CAN learn by yourself, but it's the wrong way to learn.

I'm not saying you need a trainer (but those can help). I'm saying don't think it's better to figure stuff out yourself.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by Ford, Pepsi, and the letter Q.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2008, 05:03:34 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I think that's the wrong way to learn. I never did either, and told myself "I'll figure it out myself" -- well I wasn't. I even realized I kept telling myself that, but forced myself to watch films and read tips and whatnot on the forums.

You might figure something out in 5 years by yourself, or you might read up on it and perfect it in 3 months. So yes, you CAN learn by yourself, but it's the wrong way to learn.

I'm not saying you need a trainer (but those can help). I'm saying don't think it's better to figure stuff out yourself.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by Ford, Pepsi, and the letter Q.

QFT!  The 38 isn't the easiest plane to learn by yourself at all, especially when you're new to the game.  That reminds me, I have to hook up with a trainer...:noid

donkey
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 05:17:29 PM by DoNKeY »
2sBlind

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
109k or P38L
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
Just for clarification, there are several ways to improve, each one better than the preceding one:

1. Just fly around, get shot down, rant about it. "Game sucks, planes suck, everybody cheats" :D
2. Fly around, get into fights, try to think about what happened afterwards.
3. Get some information. Read all help files, look at all that helpful links. Then try to apply what you just have read.
4. Get someone to train you.

An amazing number of players are stuck in mode 1 and will be little more than targets regardless how long they are playing. ;)

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »
I'm about to give up on the 38, when someone gets on your 6 there's nothing I can do to shake them. Trying to make them overshoot doesn't work cause it gives them a nice slow target, trying rolling scissors gives them a big target, split s, big target, rope, they usually hit the big target before they stall out.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
I'm about to give up on the 38, when someone gets on your 6 there's nothing I can do to shake them. Trying to make them overshoot doesn't work cause it gives them a nice slow target, trying rolling scissors gives them a big target, split s, big target, rope, they usually hit the big target before they stall out.

hehe rope usually works for me (I use it like it's my God given right).  I wouldn't say give up on it yet.  Get with a trainer.

donkey
2sBlind