Author Topic: I came, I saw  (Read 2415 times)

Offline DmdJJ

• Copper Member
I came, I saw
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
I won't be coming back. That is till the old AvA comes back. If I want to get killed 17 times in the VH by a camper,(<---insert Stampf here) I can do it in the MA. Plus its nothing but a gang bang fest. He who has the most numbers wins.
I was having fun in the AvA, before. Now its just a mini MA.
DmdJJ   
"The Damned"
"Damned if we do, no fun if we don't"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Target Rebaul-----> VMF-214   Fjord Fury RAF----> 315 Squadron

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:22:24 AM »
dude, we were capturing the field, you were camping out by the maproom, of course your going to get killed over and over again if we are taking the base

:cry

also the axis has on many nights that i have been on continued to make captures and serious defenses while outnumbered almost 2 to 1.  maybe the allied side has just made you soft, go axis!
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »
Impossible.

Nobody'd be dumb enough to up 17 times from a base under direct fire of the enemy.

Please let me know your thought's the 16th time you were killed.

Was it something like..."if he kills me ONE MORE TIME, I'M LEAVING!"

The psychology of it interests me.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 08:54:03 AM »
Actually, JJ makes an excellent point.

Every time I have visited the AvA this past week or two one side has had twice (or more) the numbers of the other side.

Last time I was there after the Avengers logged and I got a few to change sides we ended up with almost even numbers and it was a blast!

Any "Win the War" setup is going to produce this type of hoarding mentality.

Hell, that's one reason the MA got split was that unhealthy attitude.

Why oh WHY are we trying to transfer this way of thinking to the AvA?

Last time I was there I saw everything that one normally associates with the Main Arena.  You pick the negative flying style (hoards, vulching, ho'n, etc, etc...) or behavior and I saw it.

So... Basically y'all are creating a mini-MA with only two sides and a limited plane set is what I have gathered.  (how sad...  whatever for?)

To be honest I have always liked the limited plane set.  I think some of the plane matchups i've seen in the AvA are fantastic and FUN fights.

What happened to the "come to the AvA and you'll have some great FIGHTS" attitude.  Y'all can no longer make that claim.  It's not about fighting anymore, it's about land grab.

Gone are the days where you stayed out of a 1 on 1 or 2 on 1.  Gone are the days where you let them take off and get some E built up before you attacked.  Gone are the "higher caliber of fight" that you could sometimes find in the AvA.

Ya' know what I find hard to believe?  Not that someone said "let's create a 'win the war' type setup in the AvA".  I'm sure that's been requested plenty of times over the years.  I find it hard to believe that someone in charge said "GREAT IDEA! I Like it!  Let's move the focus from Aeiral Combat to Winning the War!" and implemented it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:56:04 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »
No there was a lot of spawn camping done by the Axis side yesterday. When they captured 62 it was a 65% (axis) to 33% (allies). It was pretty much 2 to 1 at that point.

Was also pretty close to the same time they captured A4 then shortly after or b4 they captured v117.

When 62 was captured there was an m8 spawn camping the field and I saw him land 17 kills once the base was captured. We were out numbered by at least 10 at that time if not more, so I'm fairly certain they could have taken the base with a little class and not resorted to vulching 64 and spawn camping 62.

They then tried to spawn camp A64 field I killed the first 3 in manned guns, however shortly after that, the manned guns were killed so that was the end of that. Once  the manned guns are gone, what are we supposed to do spit on them?

Call the wambulance if you want I don't care and I'm sure there have been Allies vulching and spawn camping at one time or another, however why bring the worst of the MA in to the AvA?

I remember the "selling point" for the AvA was because it was supposed to have "good fights" not the same crap from the MA's. What happened?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:18:01 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »
Next time we will let you up so you can kill the goons/troops and go to bed feeling like a hero. :rolleyes:

Wasn't that what made you up 17 times?  The chance to frustrate a capture attempt?  It would of been worth it if you succeeded.  

But don't come here and cry when it doesn't go your way.  

How about taking it like a man, offering a and a promise to "Give 'Em Hell" next time?
JG11

Vater

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:23:47 AM »
The core problem is the broken game mechanics.  When is the last time this system has been modified despite the dozens of good ideas posted?  The war was a good idea but it does not tolerate the willingness of certain people to exploit the undeveloped mechanism that it relies on.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 09:32:03 AM »
Originally posted by Virage
Next time we will let you up so you can kill the goons/troops and go to bed feeling like a hero. :rolleyes:

Wasn't that what made you up 17 times?  The chance to frustrate a capture attempt?  It would of been worth it if you succeeded.  

But don't come here and cry when it doesn't go your way.  

How about taking it like a man, offering a and a promise to "Give 'Em Hell" next time?

I never upped @ 62 because I was in the air the whole fight. I did get spawn camped @ 64 in the VH when I tried to up there. Too bad for them as they were noob campers and didn't kill the manned guns. So I killed 3 of the 4 that had A64 camped.

What i want to know, is why does base ack stay down for hours letting them vulch a field, yet town ack pops in 3 mins. A simple fix would to have the base ack pop in 3 to 5 mins like the town ack dose.

btw if you don't believe  a guy was spawn camping 62.. here is my film from the air fight toward the end u can see him camping the spawn.   Film @ 62 Was a good fight but I ran out of gas at the end.

After this sortie I made it up one more time but after that it was tanks camping the A field and vulching at take off from planes, so I just logged off.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:36:32 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
btw I don't mind the "win the war" aspect of things. I realise that is likely what will bring more players to the arena. I mean I'll admit it I have fun sometimes trying to capture a base, but more fun defending in most cases.

I also know I wont log into the arena if there is less than 20 players. So I'm not against having a base capture format or limited aircraft ect..ect..

I'd just rather see more of the "good fight" additude rather than the Ho every pass and vulch mentality.
"strafing"

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
The AvA was empty, now it isnt. If you dont like you dont have to fly there. If you get killed 17 times in a row by a spawn camper or a vulcher,who's fault is that?

The AvA tried for years to recapture the numbers of the old CT and we began catering to a minority of players and ended up with an empty arena. There were surges here and there but nothing ever withstood any length of time. The AvA is not promoted as a utopia, never was. Some of us had hopes of what we wanted but everyones ideas were slightly different. So instead of trying to please everyone how about we just go with whats drawing the most people in? I haven't seen numbers like this in the AvA since AH1. Accept it for what it is and then decide if its for you. If it isn't then so be it. Don't fly here. I'm not trying to be rude to any of you, but I don't get all these threads about how didn't have fun and things need to go back to they way there were. How the hell is an empty arena fun? Maybe you should go back and read through AvA threads over the past few years and see how much fun people were having. Or go read the weekly AvA whine threads in the General. The AvA's not for everyone just like KOTH,Snapshots, Scernarios, the DA, and the Racing series aren't either. Its just another arena, another option for people. Some seem to enjoy it, let them.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
The AvA was empty, now it isnt. If you dont like you dont have to fly there. If you get killed 17 times in a row by a spawn camper or a vulcher,who's fault is that?

The AvA tried for years to recapture the numbers of the old CT and we began catering to a minority of players and ended up with an empty arena. There were surges here and there but nothing ever withstood any length of time. The AvA is not promoted as a utopia, never was. Some of us had hopes of what we wanted but everyones ideas were slightly different. So instead of trying to please everyone how about we just go with whats drawing the most people in? I haven't seen numbers like this in the AvA since AH1. Accept it for what it is and then decide if its for you. If it isn't then so be it. Don't fly here. I'm not trying to be rude to any of you, but I don't get all these threads about how didn't have fun and things need to go back to they way there were. How the hell is an empty arena fun? Maybe you should go back and read through AvA threads over the past few years and see how much fun people were having. Or go read the weekly AvA whine threads in the General. The AvA's not for everyone just like KOTH,Snapshots, Scernarios, the DA, and the Racing series aren't either. Its just another arena, another option for people. Some seem to enjoy it, let them.

Why have that kind of attitude of " if you don't like it don't log on". How about the veteran players make it a point of trying to teach newer players the respect for  the fight? Rather than have just another mini MA with  bad habits and crappy pilots?

We can't really change things in the MA's because there are just far too many players. However the AvA has a much smaller player base, so it would be reasonably much easier to push more of a respect for the fight mentality in the AvA.
"strafing"

Offline heythere

• Copper Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 10:00:37 AM »
Originally posted by crockett
Why have that kind of attitude of " if you don't like it don't log on". How about the veteran players make it a point of trying to teach newer players the respect for  the fight? Rather than have just another mini MA with  bad habits and crappy pilots?

We can't really change things in the MA's because there are just far too many players. However the AvA has a much smaller player base, so it would be reasonably much easier to push more of a respect for the fight mentality in the AvA.
this is truly a laughable post.  starfing is always very high above a fight and jumps into other people's fight even when asked not to.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »
Originally posted by crockett
" if you don't like it don't log on"

Thats not what I said. This is what I said "If you dont like you dont have to fly there.". Don't misinterpret the meaning, don't twist it in to what you think I'm trying say or what suits your point of view. I was pretty clear in what I said. No ones putting a gun to your head to be here and this isn't your only option in AH2. No said your not welcome either.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:16:29 AM by Slash27 »

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 10:11:57 AM »
I think this set up in the AvA is the best thing since sliced bread.  I'm sorry guys, but this is not just a mini-main arena; it's the only place in AH you can get realistic planesets and still have all the strategic aspects of the game.  There are a lot of good fights in there with some very good sticks.

The increase in the number of squads/people participating in the AvA speaks for it's self.  I learned a long time ago that you may have 80% of the population happy, but the other 20% will be the ones making most of the noise.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
I came, I saw
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
Originally posted by lutrel
I think this set up in the AvA is the best thing since sliced bread.  I'm sorry guys, but this is not just a mini-main arena; it's the only place in AH you can get realistic planesets and still have all the strategic aspects of the game.  There are a lot of good fights in there with some very good sticks.

The increase in the number of squads/people participating in the AvA speaks for it's self.  I learned a long time ago that you may have 80% of the population happy, but the other 20% will be the ones making most of the noise.

Of course you like it Lutrel, this created what you wanted the most in an AH arena after you moved here from WB's.  And yes indeed it is a mini-MA.  The only single diff. is the planeset.  Outside of that one fact there is no diff.  When I compare it to the MA, I am comparing playing style and mindest btw.  After you have been here a couple years you will understand what I mean.  At this point you just don't have the "perspective" to fully understand that.

I just hope/pray at SOME point (and I know this can take upwards to a year or more of paying AH) you get around to what makes AcesHigh the magical game that it is and start focusing on the FIGHT.

Toolshedding, while slightly amusing for the first month or two, gets old after awhile.  Might as well set up a LAN game w/ y'er squad and attack all the undefended fields and strat ya' want.  Maybe have one or two of ya' change to the other side so you simulate what has been created in the AvA

Originally posted by Slash27
The AvA was empty, now it isnt. If you dont like you dont have to fly there.

Bear in mind when they changed the arenas and added the early/mid wars, those too were rather "full" for a month or so.  It wasn't rare to see 100 players in both arenas.

Then the novelty wore off, and most cycled back to the MA.

Turning the AvA into a mini-LW w/ limited planes is also a novelty, and it too will wear off.  Prob. faster than the EW/MW did as people are gonna quit flying there when there is a constant two or three to one numbers advantage on one side and they have to choose between hoard or hoarded.

As far as "don't have to fly there" you are indeed correct.  I shall inform all of the III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers of your reply and in the future we'll just go to the MW or EW when the LW starts getting stale and we want a change of pace.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:41:13 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit