Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 24113 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »
So whats wrong with 2 hours 15 total bases winner took the most bases when the clock runs out?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
bustr as always i find no flaw in your logic, nor do i see and reasonable argument against such a plan.

but alas there will be those that still demand that their $15 entitles them to easy captures plenty  of undefended porking and no fights against an opponent that they must meet on equal ground. i see your idea being overwhelmed with anti-bustr whines long before it gets any serious consideration for its merits.

+1
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2010, 10:44:58 PM »
+1, Good thought and easy to implement :aok
Might work well with increased town downtime.
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »
Don't believe that it does bother anyone.  What seems to bother people is the plea to cater to the least capable players, to make the game easier rather than harder.

- oldman

They have done NOTHING to make anything easier for those types of players.

On the contrary, they have done EVERYTHING to make it harder for guys who don't care about the 'skills", and just wanna bang around and take some bases.

New dar, bigger more spread out towns, more ack on bases and towns, Yeah they really" cater" to those guys. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Least capable?  Capable of what??

I  still don't see how guys taking bases, affects guys who are dogfighting several sectors away.

Yeah, lets make it harder for the less "capable " players, then watch them leave for "easier" games.  Great for business.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2010, 12:06:56 AM »
How you been Banshee7?  I'm doing well thank you.

Doing great.  Getting an itch to fly again!  Glad to hear all is well your way

[/hijack]
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »
They have done NOTHING to make anything easier for those types of players.
On the contrary, they have done EVERYTHING to make it harder for guys who don't care about the 'skills", and just wanna bang around and take some bases.
New dar, bigger more spread out towns, more ack on bases and towns, Yeah they really" cater" to those guys. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Least capable?  Capable of what??
I  still don't see how guys taking bases, affects guys who are dogfighting several sectors away.
Yeah, lets make it harder for the less "capable " players, then watch them leave for "easier" games.  Great for business.

Just curious cause I don't get enough flying time to pay attention to who has how many bases or whatever.

There used to be what was decried as a furballer whine, when it was suggested creating an area on the maps where it was essentially  'Fighter Town' where the quick into the fight guys could go at it without the hanger killers etc ruining the furball.  What it sounds like to me is you would want this from the other end of it.  Put it back the way it was, so we  can take bases fast and win the war.  Combat is secondary.  

It seems like the notion of making it tougher to take bases would encourage combat as the guys who might try and up to defend have time to react instead of the old quick NOE raid, hangers down, town down, goon sitting on the ground waiting bit that was so common.

Are you advocating avoiding combat, and seperating the fighter guys from the land grabbers?  You seem to be suggesting that the changes were made to cater to the air combat guys.  From my perspective it seems to have been done to encourage combat and get all kinds of player types into the same fight.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »
it's what we used to do in the hired guns. actually, we kinda overkilled. usually 4 or 5 of us in lancs.  :devil

SE's - 3 lancs Right,center,left.  6 - 2,000lbs dropped evenly from front of town to end.  98% effective rate 1st pass, 1 - 110g to clean up while troops are falling.

Can tell you we captured hundreds of bases like that.

Them were the days.  :cheers:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Little Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2010, 07:28:39 AM »
I think the town should stay down longer.  That's it.  I usually don't complain.
Agreed Neo  :aok

:salute SWkiljoy
Captain of the 125th Spartan Warriors--- SWkiljoy
I just noticed something.....
No wonder Grizz is so good. Living in virtual world must be way more exciting than living in Lincoln Nebraska.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2010, 07:56:14 AM »
SE's - 3 lancs Right,center,left.  6 - 2,000lbs dropped evenly from front of town to end.  98% effective rate 1st pass, 1 - 110g to clean up while troops are falling.

Can tell you we captured hundreds of bases like that.

Them were the days.  :cheers:

yea....the fun part always came when the resistance came up. in the guns i think we almost always dropped from 10k or lower.

in the playmates, we dropped from low too, but what we thought was overwhelming force in the guns, was nothing to the force we came in with in the playmates. we nearly were our own horde.
 there were times when me and two or three others were sneaking around the back side with troops while the bombers, clean up crew, and fighters kept the defenders looking the other way.
 in the guns, the fights were ALWAYS fun. in the playmates, we overwhelmed them so badly, that either no one bothered coming up to defend('cause no one likes to fight 20-1) or if they did come up, it was 20-3 or some crazy odds like that. i didn't/don't like being part of those hordes. i don't condemn them......if that's how people wanna play, then so be it....i'll go play in another part of the map.....i just don't wanna be part of it. i do still enjoy bombing runs sometimes though.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »

They almost HAVE to come in a horde now.

Agree.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »
  Ive always thought this game needed something to show at the end of a campaign the totals for each side, kills, deaths, tons of bombs that hit, bases owned. The couple of perks at the end dont really do much. Thats one thing WW2OL had right was the "Howzit on the battlefront" type thing they posted daily.  You'll never have that true "immersion" that so many talk about, without a WHY WE FIGHT.

~AoM~

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
You'll never have that true "immersion" that so many talk about, without a WHY WE FIGHT.

In my opinion and my personal reasons...

1. The "immersion" comes from the 1st-person in-cockpit-only view of a well-modeled WWII plane/vehicle being used to fight against other human beings from around the world .

2. The "why I fight" comes from the fact that I decided to sign up and pay $14.95/month to enjoy point number one (see bolded text).
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:08 AM »
Only takes 6 SAPP 38s with torpedos to kill the town. We tested it.

I don't see what the incintive is to take a map anyway. You just get a different one. Maybe after a long while one would get old. That can be fixed by simply resetting the arena with a new one each week.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »
sapp version of noe raid?

:devil :angel:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »
On that raid we were running shallow.... maybe three feet. This method is used should you have to go airborn quickly. Since the props are getting air too at three feet you can generate more speed while submerged in the terrain.

SAPP MODE 17
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)