Author Topic: Make this table STOP BEATING MY HEAD ...Win7, CH controllers  (Read 4043 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Make this table STOP BEATING MY HEAD ...Win7, CH controllers
« on: March 22, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »
New Win7 system.

Windows freezes and won't load when my CH Products controllers are plugged into the generic USB 2.0 ports.

Otherwise, the new system boots fine.

Help!

regards, T. E. Shaw

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Make this table STOP BEATING MY HEAD ...Win7, CH controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
I'm not quite sure if I understand what you mean by Windows freezing and not loading. Are you saying you can't get to Windows at all, or sometimes can but it freezes? Or that a perfectly running Windows freezes when you  connect your CH gear?

If it's the first one, go to your bios settings and disable USB booting. It may be that your system tries to find an operating system from your CH controllers.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
Interesting thought, Biz.

Windows won't load when my CH controllers are plugged in at start.

The CH Controllers work fine if plugged in after successful Windows start.

I'll have to mention this to the guys who sold me this computer.

Diddling in Bios is just horrifying to me.

Salute.

Thanks.

T. E. Shaw

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
for ch you need a self-powered usb controller.  you plug it into the pc directly and you will have more problems than necessary.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:13:30 PM »
Diddling in Bios is just horrifying to me.

In this particular case it shouldn't be too frightening. There's a section named Boot, just disable or move down the USB boot option. Probably it's now the first.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:48:40 PM »
for ch you need a self-powered usb controller.  you plug it into the pc directly and you will have more problems than necessary.

semp

Absolutely true.  You cannot run CH gear, reliably, if you do not use an externally powered USB hub.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
What?

As of now, my CH gear is plugged directly into the new computer machine. When I turn that machine on, Windows freezes on loading.  Without the gear the computer boots fine.

Once the machine boots, I can plug in the CH gear and all works ok... the issue now being having to calibrate in Windows and AH every time I you know...

My CH gear works fine on my older Win7 machine, plugged directly into the mother board.  -or whatever you call it

You're saying I should un-plug the CH gear from the new problematic machine and use an external powered USB hub? 

I can't believe that's what you're telling me.

That's why you guys are the computer experts and I only believe in poetry.

What?

Thanks for your attention.

help.

regards, teshaw

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 03:48:25 PM »
TEShaw, you can test your boot options easily with a USB memory stick plugged in but without your CH gear. If your computer refuses to boot with the USB stick, it's a bios setting. Not a fool proof test, you never know what kind of clever mumbo jumbo they have coded into the bios, but it may give you some directions to follow.

As for the powered USB hub, it's simply a question of amperes. CH gear is known to draw more than the USB port can supply. A powered hub usually doubles the available amperage per port.

Kotisivuni

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
Wowsville.

The wireless mouse and keyboard always work fine on the new machine with their USB radio thing.  So that's not the problem, sir.

The machine boots fine with that.

I don't even know what to ask at this point.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
Wowsville.

The wireless mouse and keyboard always work fine on the new machine with their USB radio thing.  So that's not the problem, sir.

The machine boots fine with that.

I don't even know what to ask at this point.
The bolded part above may not necessarily be true.  BIOS might see the keyboard/mouse just fine, but get confused by the CH gear.  If it were me, I'd still check into it to at least eliminate the possibility.  I've heard of much stranger things happening.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 04:09:52 PM »
Umm... even though being USB gear, the mouse and keyboard are quite low level generic input devices recognized very early in the boot process. They have basic drivers coded into the bios. USB sticks on the other hand are actually hard discs which have the potential to contain an operating system. I don't know, I'm just guessing that there might be some microchip within your CH gear that makes your bios consider one of them as a USB hard drive.

Actually, if that were the case, you should get an error message saying something like "No operating system found. Insert a system disk and reboot".

Kotisivuni

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 04:16:35 PM »
See? 

Even bizman is befuddled by this one.

I don't know.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »
I am pretty sure he is not befuddled.  We never use CH gear without an externally powered USB hub.  Why?  Because it will not work reliably without it, for most computers.

It may, or may not fix your problem, but it will not hurt to have it either.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »
See? 

Even bizman is befuddled by this one.

I don't know.

I often am befuddled, but usually I keep silent in those cases to keep up an illusion of being a guru.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »
I am pretty sure he is not befuddled.  We never use CH gear without an externally powered USB hub.  Why?  Because it will not work reliably without it, for most computers.

It may, or may not fix your problem, but it will not hurt to have it either.

Thank You for posting the above, Skuzzy!

I use USB CH Fighter Stick, USB CH Pro Throttle and CH Gameport Rudder Pedals with a gameport to USB adaptor................ and I have never used a USB Hub or Powered USB Hub, and I have yet to have a single problem plugging my USB CH Controllers into any system since Win98se USB through Windows 8.1 PRO ( Although most all my machines currently boot up to Win 7 Ult 64 bit )

I do not dispel that using a USB Power Hub will not be beneficial, like Skuzzy posted "Why?  Because it will not work reliably without it, for most computers."

I have always figured that certain Motherboards ( Higher End MB's) & PSU's have better components than the rest, is the reason I have never had the need to use a powered USB hub

TC
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:36:29 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC