Author Topic: Make this table STOP BEATING MY HEAD ...Win7, CH controllers  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Re: Make this table STOP BEATING MY HEAD ...Win7, CH controllers
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out.

Was wanting to ask you TEShaw the brand\type of motherboard and the exact USB headers that you had all your USB devices plugged into as w\ some BIOS'es there are settings that will fully enable all USB headers on POST or only look for certain USB devices at POST (usually a keyboard and\or mouse) and w\ the second item I mentioned there is usually a specific USB header that the BIOS will look for these devices on (the USB header that usually have the old PS2 serial connector(s) in it) or it's usually the very top USB header on the mobo and most of the time this header will not be USB 3.x, only USB 2.x or earlier. Even though the USB specs call for universal compatibility this isn't always followed w\ the BIOS's & if a USB device is plugged in this specific USB header that the BIOS can't ID as a keyboard\mouse during POST it "could" hang the POST process stopping boot up as the BIOS needs to see these items are available for access to the BIOS and are looked for very early in the POST process.

May not have been your specific issue but you never know.................

I would suspect that the newer mobos are getting away from this w\ the newer UEFI (or BIOS if you prefer) interfaces as a UEFI-compliant device can be ID'd very easily thru a UEFI interface and so the UEFI knows what to do w\ it as opposed to a legacy BIOS so USB header position\type isn't near as critical during POST.

To this day I still have the habit of plugging all my USB devices into the very SAME header connection that I put them in on initial successful use to minimize\eliminate USB connection issues.

Enjoy your new box!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd