Author Topic: "Resupping is more effective than upping a tank or plane to defend"  (Read 15905 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: "Resupping is more effective than upping a tank or plane to defend"
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:13 PM »
Forget about the chest thumping and who does what.  Just look at it objectively.

That's a pretty good place to start.  If it were more relatively effective than resupplying the field, more people might be inclined to do it.  If you've got the same number of buddies as the bandits have, it's not a "ganging" situation anymore.  Two hordes fighting over a field sounds an awful lot like gameplay to me.  The problem is, a town can generally be taken before defenders can get there from the next base over.

The speed with which town captures work and the resupplying mechanic funnels players into GVs running human waves of resupply boxes into the town because it works better than combat does.  To me, that seems like a broken mechanic.

Wiley.

The smart Coyote, as usual, hit the nail on the head.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »

if people were smart they would up from a surrounding base to defend instead of upping while begging to be free kills.

That's what I do almost every sortie.  Trouble is, that by the time I get there, the base is usually capped and in deep trouble.  Most people want quick action and can't be bothered to spend ten minutes to come with alt from a rear base.  The path of least resistance, just like attackers who only find the balls to do so with a big green glob around them.

To the people claiming lack of fights, de-acking airfields and having a bunch of guys in vulching range is not going to promote a fight.   Most players aren't "aces" and never will be, so expecting them to fight the good fight from extreme disadvantage, ie: "let us kill you a few dozen times, so you'll learn stuff" - yeah ok.

............................. ............................. .......................

As someone else mentioned a few pages ago (and many times before in the wishlist), move the towns farther from the fields and make the field ack certain death for low flying planes.

This gives defenders a chance to get airborne, but they have to go to the town to hold it.   They can hang in their ack but can't keep the base that way.  The attackers can't suppress the field with fighters, but can cap the town more easily.  They will also have a better chance to protect their goons from La-7s and such sprinting from the field.

Also, remove all town ack.  The fight would be in an ack-free and vulch-free zone.   Base takers and furballers, living in harmony. :aok
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2016, 04:05:43 PM »
This game has changed to the point that very few want to fight. Too many hordes used to grab bases, too many NOE to avoid detection, and too many times when a defense shows up, the attack disappears only to hit some other "easier target".

On the other side of that coin you have far to many players that look to "ATTACK" a base but far too few that look to defend a base. You always hear "start a fight" and most times this is accomplished by attacking a base. Very few players look at the map and try to up to defend a base, in most cases finding a spot to defend is difficult... NOEs and and looking at a horde moving across the map and saying.... "whats the point of defending against that!". So defenders, looking to avoid multiple deaths and frustration trying to up from a capped field resort to running supplies.

It has become the way to play the game.  :(

Large maps make this worse

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
a respawn timer would fix all of this, 5 minutes between deaths or captures, 1 for ditches, none for landing safely.

No it wouldn't.  All that a respawn timer would do in the MA is cause players to log off instead of being forced to wait for the timer to run down in the tower.  Respawn timer isn't conducive for game play in an open world, sand box game like AH.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »
so, what would you have them do? up from that capped field and hope that the gangers kill shoot themselves? or should i fly 10 mins so that you guys can gang the sht out of me? or should i use common sense and resup the town/base and throw your timing off? i dont understand how you guys dont get it that people dont want to be your fodder. why be mad that people dont just stand in line to be ganged or vulched?
for me, i up from a different base and come in with alt and E to fight the ganger hordes. it never fails, i get ganged and dead. and its generally the same FPH's who are right in the middle of the gang. and there are several of these FPH's who will cuss you up and down because you came into their gang and killed them. youre now the bad guy because you played smart. kill Dolby and see if he doesnt go off his rocker. see if LilMak doesnt gripe about gangers and then 2 mins later there he is 4th or 5th in. yet, there they are griping about no fights. you cant do anything right in their eyes unless they kill you, then all is right and sunflowers everywhere.

dolby and lilmak are not one of Midway's original 8 I'm afraid.  I wouldn't accept imposters if I were you because a Fighter Pilot Hero has no need to cuss anyone out, they let cannon speak their thoughts and their enemies only have the tower to look forward to.  :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
i think its more effective to up from a next door base. you can up 1 time and have more affect on the battle than the guys who are getting capped repeatedly. i can at least have a chance to strafe their troops or maybe just get people to deviate from their attack plans a bit. ive found that most of the times i can get there before they get the town down or any of that. this is bc people do stupid crap when attacking. for instance, youll see 4 guys chasing a red, meanwhile 3 other reds are upping on the other side of the ack and getting E and eventually killing your goon or m3. i can generally count on the enemies greed to help my battle go well.

Defending can work, if you happen to be ready to go quickly when the attack commences and the defenders up in half decent numbers.  My point is that you can be a lot later to the defense in an M3 with field sups and have a much greater impact on the defense than you could if you upped at the next field over or into the vulch.

This causes more people to opt to resupply rather than try to win by killing the enemy.

This has me wondering how elements of the base taking mechanics in Planetside 2's might work in this game...

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
dolby and lilmak are not one of Midway's original 8 I'm afraid.  I wouldn't accept imposters if I were you because a Fighter Pilot Hero has no need to cuss anyone out, they let cannon speak their thoughts and their enemies only have the tower to look forward to.  :D
OG 8, Bruv, Kazaa, Grizz, Yenny, Krupnski, MickyD, Pervert, ?????

I don't know the 8th :/
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
I believe Levi.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2016, 07:09:29 PM »
so, what would you have them do? up from that capped field and hope that the gangers kill shoot themselves? or should i fly 10 mins so that you guys can gang the sht out of me? or should i use common sense and resup the town/base and throw your timing off? i dont understand how you guys dont get it that people dont want to be your fodder. why be mad that people dont just stand in line to be ganged or vulched?
for me, i up from a different base and come in with alt and E to fight the ganger hordes. it never fails, i get ganged and dead. and its generally the same FPH's who are right in the middle of the gang. and there are several of these FPH's who will cuss you up and down because you came into their gang and killed them. youre now the bad guy because you played smart. kill Dolby and see if he doesnt go off his rocker. see if LilMak doesnt gripe about gangers and then 2 mins later there he is 4th or 5th in. yet, there they are griping about no fights. you cant do anything right in their eyes unless they kill you, then all is right and sunflowers everywhere.

Vee, you're the guy that complains about fighting all the time, BBS, game there is bile everywhere. The sad thing is, everytime I see you you are the guy 10k over a 5k furball, dive in for one kill and climb out again for 15miles and repeat the process. I have to smile, I had to chase you last night for 10 miles just to get you to consider putting up a fight. You want to pick with every advantage, so please stop pretending you are about a fight because you are not and have never been. I don't fly for kills, I fly for gameplay. You need to be taught a few lessons about a fight in the Duelling arena, by the people you're poking in your posts.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »
Nothing is more fun than rolling from a back field and pouncing on a group of hoarders vulching a base.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »
It doesnt take 15 people,  it takes two.  It is to the point where manned guns and m3s are the go to defensive choice.

It only takes two skilled people, but 15  marginally skilled ones is what often shows up instead.

Anyway I'm not convinced that resup with M3s is an effective defense by itself. At a bare minimum it takes 3 runs to resup the town, more if the strat is porked at all. With no opposition it takes two passes from one Lanc formation or one pass by two B-24s to WF the town while one or two fighters clean up the town ack and then one M3 with troops which will have spawned before the defenders spawned their M3s. The resup usually doesn't get rolling until the town is flagged, or at least until after the first bombing run, so it's pretty easy for the attackers to take the base first if all of the defenders are just resupping. Those same three potential defenders stand a decent chance of killing the troops if they up fighters IF it's only a few attackers like we're describing. If they're afraid to do so because they're terminally allergic to A2A combat, nerfing the resup won't change that, they'll just sit on the field in wirbs or manned acks, equally ineffective.

So as I see it the problem isn't that resup is too effective as a defense, it's that some defenders are afraid to up fighters even if that's their best chance. Eliminating or nerfing the resup mechanic won't fix the latter problem.

What makes effective resup so important is the strat system. If the city and ack strat are porked the town and guns will be down for two hours or more. It isn't practical or desirable to baby-sit towns for two hours after the attackers move on to somewhere else - that's as much of a fight-killer as resup. So one guy baby-sits the flag while a few others resup for a few runs and then they can go somewhere else to fight without leaving the base totally open to a sneak. If you nerf the resup you have to nerf strat raids so it isn't possible to drop a town for 2 hours. This is especially true for small maps and off-peak hours where defending the strats becomes impractical.

But where I see the resup defense as being both more common and more effective is against horde attacks. Half the time the horders just want to vulch and are too lazy to look for resup M3.

Why should a squad or team spend hours flying extra long distances just to pork a field (which is incredibly mind numbing, yet easy task) just so that some dweeb can't resupply his town.

Most of the time it's not a team, not an extra long distance, and no more mind-numbing than bombing the town. Unless the defenders have multiple spawns it's one guy flying one sector to drop one VH. He can then rejoin the attack or have fun trying to solo kill the defenders who want to fly back from that base (a lot more fun and challenge than multiple guys vulching a deacked field!) Or one or two guys blasting the M3s, which does get a bit boring but no more than vulching does.

It is a simple fix really just remove the ability to magically resupply town buildings only.    That way you preserve the supply line aspect and remove what I find to be an un-realistic gimmick.   You didn't see Coventry or Dresden rebuilt in 10 minutes!

The town/field capture is so abstracted that I don't think any comparisons to reality are warranted, but if you must, I'd say you're not actually rebuilding the city - after all, Cassino and Caen proved that rubble is even more defensible than intact buildings. The down time is the time it takes for the surviving defenders to recover their senses after being carpet-bombed and take up new firing positions. You can think of the resup M3s as reinforcements, medics, and so forth. It might look a little more realistic to have them bring friendly troops rather than field supps to get the town back up, but the effect on the game would be identical.

I have been in the situation many times and covered the spawn, the dweeb gives up after 1 or 2 tries and then grabs a bloody wirble to sit there and still not save his base and avoid upping an aircraft at all costs! 

Exactly! This illustrates two points I'm trying to make. One, it's not that effective or that hard to stop. Two, much though you might like, you can't force good game play. If they're determine to avoid upping an aircraft at all costs it's probably for one of two reasons: either the defenders have been vulched repeatedly before their wheels were up, or the defenders are allergic to combat. In the first instance the bad gameplay is equally on the part of the attackers. In the second, there's nothing you can do to change that. You cannot force good game play.

In sum, I'm not trying to argue that players ought to resup more and fly less, rather that eliminating or nerfing the resup mechanic won't do much to change the bad game play you're (justifiably) decrying but will have unintended negative consequences in other situations.

I think the unintended consequences are what makes many of us disagree with you two, JunkyII, Masherbrum, et al on this. We think the actual consequences of the change will be different from what you want. Unintended consequences are a [bear]. As an example:

To the people claiming lack of fights, de-acking airfields and having a bunch of guys in vulching range is not going to promote a fight.

That's exactly what I'm trying to show.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »
Nothing is more fun than rolling from a back field and pouncing on a group of hoarders vulching a base.

:aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »

Wrong.. upping from the vulched base and killing them all.. Much more fun.  :D
- TWBYDHAS

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »
I believe Levi.
yep! That's who it was l
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3