Author Topic: AK's...  (Read 944 times)

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
AK's...
« on: July 17, 2002, 10:00:10 AM »
Now that your first born is up and running, what do you think of your little darling AKDesert?  As the first to tackle the design of AH's 512X512 Map, what has and hasn't worked and have there been any surprises on how the design has fleshed out?  I am curious to get your views after putting in so much hard work for the community! !

ps - This is not a Troll, or an invitation to flame.  So Don't.
JG11

Vater

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
AK's...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 10:20:48 AM »
Can't speak for any AK other than myself. I've found that the map fosters more smaller fights, I like that. On the smaller maps I often found myself charging into a fight and discovering I was surrounded by 5-10 enemies with no help in sight, yes my SA often sucks, that or I'm too careless or both. I'm not one of the elite pilots that can fight against overwhelming odds and win.

I've also found that I frequently lose red icons in the terrain. Mixed feelings about that, hate it when it happens but it does pump up the adrenaline.

The map has generated a bit of controversy. Am I glad to have participated in making this terrain? Yes. Will I do it again? No.

And thanks for asking.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
AK's...
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 11:24:11 AM »
Whew, good to hear.

Offline keyapaha

• Nickel Member
AK's...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 11:48:01 AM »
AKIron,

dont know if u tryed this or not
  i had trouble with the red icons so i changed my colors to bright pink for enemy icons   and this i found helped alot.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
AK's...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 11:54:37 AM »
Whew....., why? that the AK's are out of the map making business?

Careful what you wish for.

You may have just shot yourself in the foot.

I didn't work on the map, I became an AK after the map, so I stayed completely out of the slugfest. My first reaction to the map wasn't any different than most peoples. But I like the map, theres something for everyone. Althou I love furballing, My computer can't handle them and i need to advoid them. I can always find a fight on the map that my computer can handle. The GV's have been pulled back into play and useful again. Without Air support gv's are in trouble.  I've been in some GREAT GV battles in this map.

AKNuttz

Originally posted by TheManx
Whew, good to hear.

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
AK's...
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 12:12:22 PM »
My first reaction is my current reaction. I don't like the map at all. If more people were in CT I'd spend all my time there. If I've shot myself in the foot because new maps will be better thought out, then so be it. It's a frame hog, it's got the ugliest terrain of any maps I've seen to date, and it's a strat nightmare.

You're right though, it has given something for everyone. For me it's given more reasons to spend time with my family. So for that, I thank you AK's very much.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
AK's...
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 12:12:26 PM »
Yes, one thing I have to admit is I LOVE flying Close Air support missions against advancing GV's.

The most fun I've ever had on AH was on this map just last week.

It's just so damn big, though.

But I've learned how to find my squaddies by using the Roster GOTO key, and to use the .move XXX command.

Variety is the spice of life, so eventually I would like to see a new map put into the rotation. But as for now, I'm happy as a clam.

(You know why clams are so happy? They have both Male and Female sex organs. It's true. Muck's useless fact of the day)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
AK's...
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2002, 01:00:12 PM »
If I've shot myself in the foot because new maps will be better thought out, then so be it.

If only you'd aimed a little higher. :p

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
AK's...
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2002, 01:18:03 PM »
Why do you want him to shoot himself in the ankle?:D

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
AK's...
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 01:20:22 PM »
Guess I shoulda been more specific, 5-6 feet is what I had in mind. ;)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
AK's...
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2002, 01:35:08 PM »
Originally posted by keyapaha
AKIron,

dont know if u tryed this or not
  i had trouble with the red icons so i changed my colors to bright pink for enemy icons   and this i found helped alot.

I tried different colors but bright pink wasn't one of them. Will give it a try, thanks for the tip.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AK's...
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2002, 01:37:09 PM »
Perple is better I think.
-SW

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Re: AK's...
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2002, 02:46:07 AM »
Originally posted by Virage
Now that your first born is up and running, what do you think of your little darling AKDesert?  As the first to tackle the design of AH's 512X512 Map, what has and hasn't worked and have there been any surprises on how the design has fleshed out?  I am curious to get your views after putting in so much hard work for the community! !

ps - This is not a Troll, or an invitation to flame.  So Don't.

I'm pleased with the way the design turned out.

Things I don't like:

1) ack is too difficult to see against the field color.

2) I didn't appreciate how hard it would be to gather in the entire scope of the war.  Hitech's changes to the clipboard have helped, but they didn't solve all problems.

Things I do like:

1) The outer ring.  Right now, we don't have an abundance of tanks, but some day we will. :)

2) How difficult it is to see panzers against the green/desert texture.  I really like Wabbit's textures.

3) The wide variety of fields at different altitudes.  At the higher fields, you should up a Spit9, 109 or pony.  The spit9's climbrate at 10K+ (to 25k) is superb.  When you decide to defend a field, you have to stop and think: which plane should I fly?  It makes a big difference.

4) canyon fights.

5) It is REALLY difficult to kill HQ.  Loss of DAR is not a welcome thing.  I like how a side has to literally go to sleep to lose its DAR.

curly

Offline LoGo

• Zinc Member
AK's...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2002, 02:58:45 AM »
I've gathered three things since AKDESERT was released:

1: those that dont like it are extremely vocal about their dislikes

2: those that like it quietly go about their business playing it

3: those that like it GREATLY outnumber those that dislike it

I feel for all of you that have lost love for AH because of this map but I for one like this map and would be upset if a minority stops maps like it being made

1000 thankyou's to the AK's for aiding the evolution of AH

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
AK's...
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2002, 04:41:43 AM »

You're right though, it has given something for everyone. For me it's given more reasons to spend time with my family. So for that, I thank you AK's very much.

Must be a real nice family if a game map was the reason you needed to spend more time with them. Or maybe you are just that kind of Father?

Go ahead and flame me for the comment, but you said it, not me
Think about it.
Just saying
X2Lee