Author Topic: On Suicide bombing.  (Read 8317 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2002, 02:08:52 PM »
Best suggestion I've seen so far is 'rationing' of ordanance on a time basis vs landed basis.

IE, you get 4000lb's of fighter ordanance per hour, however you may hot re-arm as much as you like.

This would prevent the repeat offenders, which I think are they people we really want to stop.

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2002, 02:35:24 PM »
Time delay as first suggested make the most sense, is the easiest to implement and is adjustable.

The "graphic" bomb explodes, but "damage" is on hold for the time alloted.

Suicide jabo's could probably be done with a window of 10 seconds or less.

Five seconds could probably take care of it.

Let's not reinvent the wheel here..

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2002, 03:12:19 PM »
I like HT,s idea if you die within say 10 seconds from bomb blast or impacting the deck no kills for you.

I do note most seem concerned with seeing the target being blown up then popping back up seconds later.

Now more work for HT but if a cloud of smoke or dust came up and obscures the target at ordnance impact for the required time period ONLY hey thats just added realism in my book.
If implemented like this it would be perfectly reasonable to wait a few seconds to be able to assess damage before seeing if a secondary attack on target is required.

You have the action taken against suicide attacks and a method of increasing realism and stopping complaints about seeing the target die then pop back up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2002, 03:18:14 PM by 214thCavalier »

Offline Don

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2002, 03:32:31 PM »
>>I'd like to see some system where the bombs wont drop if you are past a certain AoA. <<

Go ya one better, and simpler:
make sure the plane eg. 4 engine buffs break up as they should at AoA they were not constructed to fly at.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2002, 03:37:03 PM »
Watch that AoA stuff fellas!  You have already been warned!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Don

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2002, 03:39:23 PM »
>>In terms of penalizing suicide bombers <<

Heres an idea!  How about letting the suicide dweeb in a 4 engine bomber die becuz his plane broke apart in a dive his plane wasn't designed to make?!!
Hmm not very practical cuz the dive bombing buff dweeb would get mad cuz his plane broke apart (as it should have).

Conclusion:  methinks there is something very wrong with the gene pool  :(

Offline Don

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2002, 03:42:31 PM »
>>How about all external ords become a PERK <<

Sheesh! you guys'd perk anything!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2002, 03:45:40 PM »
I don't think this is a good way to fix the problem.

I'd suggest perking 1000lb or larger bombs on fighters (say, 5 points each and you only get the points back if you land with the bombs still attached to your aircraft) and having an angle limiter for bomb releases from level bombers.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2002, 03:48:15 PM »
Here is an idea:

If a player dies due a suicide attack (suicide attack according to your definition), then the system registers the event.

When the player tries to respawn at the field to do another run, the system gives a message that unable to take off from this field from X amount of time.

This does not prevent an initial suicide... however... the system could give a shorter rebuild time.

If you double the targets in an arena, you halve the effect of suicide pilots. If you X by 4 then their effect is only 25%.

No county at war puts all their eggs in one basket. The more you build, the less they can knock down.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2002, 03:52:04 PM »
two stage bomb blasts............

If we assume that a  bomb has two components

1) kinetic ( a big heavy thing hitting something)
2) chemical (an explosion)

Further if we assume that the kinetic = 10% (or what ever %) of the total energy and occurrs immediately upon impact but the chemical occurs "x" seconds after (in this case 90%)

We see that a crater is formed and a 100lb bomb still kills eg  a gun pit even if it does not explode..............

occasionally there are dud's and by some co incidence these always seem to occur when the  originator dies  within seconds of impact..............

30 1000lb duds still kil a FH tho (if 10% is chosen)

the % and the delay should be arena adjustable...........so they can be switched off for scenarios etc...............
Ludere Vincere

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2002, 03:52:26 PM »

For the cheap skates

Damned youre shameless   :rolleyes:   :D

On the suicide dweebs I think you should go with that last
thought you had. Make the objects reup fast if you die within 15 seconds of your drop, IF YOU AUGER. How would that work on the CV tho? Sinking in reverse?

While your looking to improve gameplay do something about those danged Oswinds. I may send you a bottle myself.  ;)

It would not hurt my rep as a cheapskate either....
Regards,
X2Lee

Offline Don

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2002, 03:59:01 PM »
>>Eskimo, can you cite some cases ? What type and and altitude ?
I'd like to read up on it.<<

Flying Bucaneers, author's name escapes me right now. It is about the fifth air force during WW2. They did a lot of innovation with the a/c they had, much of it was outdated stuff. They created strafing B25s, skip bombing techniques, para frags and much more. They also had B17s and B24s do low level skip bombing against shipping and airfields. At no point did I read any account of dive bombing by four engine bombers.

Offline Crumb

• Zinc Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2002, 05:03:31 PM »
On the realism side limiting dive angles (btw guys please stop using the word Angle of attack to meen the current dive/climb angle) for bomb drop is just as unrealistic as bomb delay

HT, I was thinking that the limit on angle would apply to bombers with bay doors. Wouldn't the bombs need to be able to fall out of the doors fairly level less you be releasing bombs forward into the bay instead of out?

Not that I know anything about the subject.....just curious.

Thanks

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2002, 05:03:44 PM »
i HAVE the solution! Any Norden-equipped plane cannot drop eggs unless autopilot is on--which it WOULD be if ya were in F6 position. (screw the 88's!)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2002, 05:09:37 PM »
Originally posted by Don
>>Eskimo, can you cite some cases ? What type and and altitude ?
I'd like to read up on it.<<

Flying Bucaneers, author's name escapes me right now. It is about the fifth air force during WW2. They did a lot of innovation with the a/c they had, much of it was outdated stuff. They created strafing B25s, skip bombing techniques, para frags and much more. They also had B17s and B24s do low level skip bombing against shipping and airfields. At no point did I read any account of dive bombing by four engine bombers.

Well, there's of course Polesti, B-24's hitting the infamous oil refinery on the deck.

I've had a copy of Jablonski's "Airwar" since I was a kid.  In it are a series of pics of B-25s skip bombing merchant ships.  Those guys came in VERY low.  (I'm going to have to go look now :) )

Certainly the majority of of bomber missions were run at higher altitudes, but a fair share were run at low alts.  And I've also read about strat bombing from as high as 30+ K.  

P.S.
I haven't ever read about  4 engined ships dive bombing either, nor do I think it should be quite as easy as it is in AH.

Low, yes.  
Dive bombing, no.

eskimo
« Last Edit: December 03, 2002, 05:12:37 PM by eskimo2 »