Author Topic: On Suicide bombing.  (Read 8045 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2002, 06:03:58 PM »
I don't like it Hitech.

Perk bombs,
or limit AOA of appropriate planes for bomb drops,
or don't award perk points,
or don't award score points.

But please, do not add an unreasistic game-affect for whatever behavior you don't desire.

Something should be done about this, however.  

eskimo

Offline DSDUDE

• Zinc Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2002, 06:06:32 PM »
IMHO, don't do the 30 second thing! I think that allowing level bombers to drop only while in bombsite mode should fix everything. Jabo fighters could and did suicide bomb, I don't see that it's much skin off anyone's nose if people continue to suicide JABO. I mean, you should be able to trade your life for one structure or vehicle, seems like a fair trade to me. As a matter of fact, I would actually like to see collision damage with structures. If I manage to pilot my P-47 with 1/2 a wing into an enemy hangar in a final act of defiance it should be worth something.

My 2 cents!

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Re: On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2002, 06:12:49 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Been toying with the idea that ordanance has  little or no effect if you are not still living for a given period of time (around 30 secs) after impact.

What do you gents think?

HiTech

I'm glad you're bothered by suicide bombing, because IMHO it's a real problem.  OTOH, I'm not sure your proposed solution is the way to solve it.

The main reason for my concern is that, IMHO, there are FAR more instances where somebody fully intending to live takes fatal damage shortly after releasing his ordnance, than there are instances of premediated suicide bombing.  Thus, the solution you propose would apply too heavy a hand and punish legit pilots more than it does griefers.  Rather like Killshooter does, IOW.

I think all dogs are entitled to 1 bite.  So if you're going to track this sort of thing, do so over some number of sorties.  If twice during the chosen interval somebody dies immediately after dropping, only then apply the penalty.

In addition, I would not make the penalty be the failure of the bombs to explode, because that can cause the punishment to bleed over onto all friendly pilots in the area, all of whom are guiltless even if the pilot who dropped the bombs was a griefer.  Instead, I would either make ordnance unavailable to that person for 24 hours.  Then he couldn't make a career out of doing this.

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
How about
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2002, 06:29:57 PM »
A timer on ordinance fuses, drop it below a certain alt and it won't explode.

IIRC bombs have to fall long enough for the "spinner" to unwind a safety and arm?

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2002, 06:32:20 PM »
what would I do if everyone was posting and whinning about suicide bombers????    Ofter to remove the tactic by harshly penalizing everyone?

::Swims away::   ;)

Call me a Cynic...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2002, 06:33:44 PM »
I say try it .. what do you have to lose

also make the ship guns damageable, why should guns stay 100% until the moments the ship sinks? we should be able to strafe them down as we do base ack - maybe a faster re-uptime to compensate
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2002, 06:35:22 PM »
I think a dual standard would be good enough.

* pitch angle/altitude limitation for the known "level buffs"
 (excluding the Ju88A, which was capable of dive bombing)

* perk system for heavy ordnance such as 2x1000lbs
 (pretty rare in real life, as many people pointed out)

It seems with the 30 second idea, HT's trying to solve two problems with one.. but as much of us would agree on, this sort of limitation is way too much.

The limitations on bombing according to the pitch angle would effectively force people away from "the ends justifies the means" behavior shown against targets like CVs(kind of makes you feel stupid grabbing a SBD Dauntless and performing the precision drop technique you practiced so hard to master... when any idiot with 3000~4000 feet alt can knock out a CV with Lanc formations with a bomb load equivalent of 21 jabo fighters..)...

..and the perk system for 1000lbs/500kg load out, (I believe Karnak suggested this first, way back..) is brilliant. It gives alternate use and reason for stacking up points, and also, seeing how just 8 points effectively ended the CHog scourge, even a meager 3~5 points on 1000lbs loadouts will make the jabo folk think twice before joining the typical "cram 20 Typhs to one field and close it any way you can.." situations we've been witnessing last few months. With the 1000lbs loadout far less common, it will need deadly precision to close down target fields.

What I'm torn about is the instances of low altitude level bombings.. such as Lancasters passing over a field at 3k... I'm not sure how to look at this one.. because while it does bring a frown to my face, I'm not sure if this is exactly an unprecedented case in real life, nor if there is any real reason to stop this sort of bombing method.

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2002, 06:50:36 PM »
Here we go again…

Instead of getting the fighters to guard against bombers, let's just make things harder for the bombers.  Heaven forbid that a strategic weapon should have any impact.

Just remove all bombers from the game and be done with it.

MachNix

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2002, 08:22:18 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
eagl

Whoops, hope I don't get muted for typing "coming".

Eagl,

The more you bring this up, the more mature and witty you sound, really.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline palef

• Gold Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2002, 08:24:38 PM »
I'm still not sure that this kamikaze suicide run thing exists. Or at least I haven't seen conclusive proof.

There is a nameless chap in my squad who gets VERY target fixated and literally forgets to pull out. I've done it, especially when I realise there is a GV next to what I was aiming for and I shift my aim point and run out of time to avoid the lawn dart thingy.

In the mass missions, I've seen unorganised attack runs result in multiple killshooter deaths from fellow countrymen flying unseen under the bombing aircraft through the bomb's blast radius. To the observers this can certainly look like a "suicide" run. It's actually, and more importantly more likely, to be "brain turned off bombing" than a concerted kamikaze attack.

The only true kamikaze runs I can point at with certainty is against a CV, and as Widewing has graciously documented there is at least one way to avoid being hacked down by ack over a CV.

I think that it would be a bad idea to implement the disappearing bomb thing. If there is a delay in the blast effect while the server maintains a check on your virtual existence post bomb drop, I think you would be more likely to be killshot by a countryman flying into the blast radius after the server decides it should go off.

I think that it would be better to develop a delayed fuse system for those very low level jabo runs to allow more time for target egress.

palef.
Retired

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2002, 08:42:44 PM »
I thought we already had fuzed bombs. They don't splode if ya too low.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2002, 08:51:49 PM »
Put a limit on the angle bombs will release in the buffs....

I think AW had something like that.

Anyway, if you put an angle limit that bombs would release out of the bomb bays, maybe that could solve the problem.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2002, 08:53:06 PM »
Yeah, do it, but:
Count all ordnance drops on kills where the bulk of the damage is done by a human.
CFIT and ack-weenie kills should cause a respawn on all objects killed in the last 30 seconds.

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2002, 09:05:42 PM »
Is the 30 seconds negotiable... A lot can happen in 30 seconds..
 how about 5 seconds?
IS this going to be recieved like kill shooter? everyone wants it but then reality sets in and then its evil?

T0J0

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
On Suicide bombing.
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2002, 09:36:08 PM »

The more you bring this up, the more mature and witty you sound, really.

SOB

Piss off SOB

It's a damned joke.  It's the biggest joke in the game.  Players can't control themselves online so HTC has to not only code in a hyperactive mute function that mutes people who type things like "let's land and gas it up", but also gives mute/eject power to people who let the whole thing get under their skin so they make stupid decisions and mute/eject people out of anger more than any real typing indiscretion.

And now HT suggests making another great decision to deliberately code something hideously unrealistic in order to alter gameplay in the Main Arena, when there are tons of player-suggested alternatives that would enhance BOTH gameplay and realism.

That's funny.  It's more than funny, it's downright poetic.

So take your holier-than-thou attitude and stuff it in your piehole.

eagl

Hope I don't get muted for typing "stuff it"...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 09:49:49 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.