Author Topic: 30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality  (Read 11270 times)

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2003, 11:23:56 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt
Ettiquette in combat is the gift of the victor............ never the right of the victim.

Bingorama!

I also have to throw in with Dead Man on this.

Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Vulching doesn't need excusing. It just is. You're going to have to deal with the fact that vulching does not represent a breach of moral conduct, or you're going to grow tired quickly by your righteous indignance at every instance of it. It's not a matter of showing "dignity" in a game, because it's part of the game itself.

Show me the rules that say what's honorable or not. They don't exist. All that exists is someone doing something you don't like. One one hand, vulching is required to cap the field for capture. On the other hand, players are going to do it like water flows down hill. Accept it or play tiddlywinks or chess.

I have ranted at Dead Man for cherry picking me while I was in a good fight. Not because doing so is wrong, but because he doesn't need cheap kills to fill his pelt quota.

I have ranted about players camping and taking VHs in NB's Tank Town. Not because there's anything wrong with it. Because doing it there is counter productive to the purpose of the place.

Chute shooting really gets to me. I've seen rants about this for over eight years now and I still suspect it has to be a joke. How can anyone take this seriously?

grizzly

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2003, 11:29:16 AM »
beet1e ...

Why must you always paint with a 24" brush ?

I love the way you TAS guys remind me time and time again that the MA is in no way a re-enactment of WW2, but when you seek support for something you've said, or want to challenge something in the MA that you feel is wrong, you resort to comparisons with RL armed conflict.

It is in no way a total re-enactment of WW2 and will never be. Air-to-Air combat is a re-enactment, ambushes are a re-enactment ... get it ... certain aspects are and should be. (Selective Realism™)

Kweassa ...

Nice post !!!

Mold ...

I don't seek out the vulch, nor do I always look for the spawn camp ... If I happen to be there and the opportunity presents itself ... then I will do it. No questions asked.

I do the things very similar to what Kweassa has described. If I have traveled (without the horde) with a couple of squaddies to an airfield, found no uppers ... I will de-ack the field just for the halibut ... If they start to up, then the vulch light is on. If a furball has pushed itself backk to the enemy base, and their is suffcient cap, I will not join the vulch pattern ... I will head towards a nearby base and see if I can get into a fight with anyone that is inbound. I do this, because this is what I like to do and enjoy doing it ... its not the "morality" guilt trip that makes me do it.

We have brought to light things that we don't like and things that we like ... but have never attached the "morality" notion to any of it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2003, 11:48:15 AM »
Slapshot--

In light of your above post I can see that you are more moderate in your actions than I suspected.

AH is much closer to a community of players than actual combat.  As such, common courtesy is welcome.  And common courtesy is nothing more than morals applied to everyday life, which includes a computer game played interactively online.  So "morals" and "honor" are not such high things that only belong in certain solemn moments in life.  Beyond dots on the screen, you are interacting with others, and are therefore responsible for your behavior.  There are many situations outside this game where you can choose to ignore common courtesy.  If you are in a supermarket, you might butt in front of everyone with a single item without asking their permission.  Better for you, since you don't have to wait, and doesn't really matter for the others, right?  At most 1 minute, so who cares.  And it certainly isn't illegal, so it is within the "rules of the game".  But common courtesy goes beyond just the rules.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2003, 11:50:36 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
It is in no way a total re-enactment of WW2 and will never be. Air-to-Air combat is a re-enactment, ambushes are a re-enactment ... get it ... certain aspects are and should be. (Selective Realism™)
Oh yeah? And who gets to decide which bits should be re-enactments and which should not? Get back to me after you have discussed it with the Furball Committee.

Kweassa - I agree in part. But all the chute shooting/kill stealing crap did does not exist at the same level in other games. Indeed, even the CT of AH is totally different. I think it's a kidz/tardz/wankbagz issue.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2003, 11:58:19 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Oh yeah? And who gets to decide which bits should be re-enactments and which should not? Get back to me after you have discussed it with the Furball Committee.

Kweassa - I agree in part. But all the chute shooting/kill stealing crap did does not exist at the same level in other games. Indeed, even the CT of AH is totally different. I think it's a kidz/tardz/wankbagz issue.

This is easy....I get to decide...now play the way you're supposed to or go work in your garden.

As to TAS seeking the support of anything we have said....everyone knows we're right, thus there is no need to seek out any approval from anyone.

You need to pay more attention Beet.....you conclusions are hollow.

Cyas Up(well, prolly not since you fly way way up there somewhere)

:eek:

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2003, 12:49:50 PM »

Well ... the Furball Committee has adjorned its first meeting on this topic and we decided that you don't get to decide. Next meeting is after the holiday season is over ... we will be getting back to you ... :D

Kill stealing ...

The only kill stealing that I personally get involved in are those flaming wrecks produced by the TAS or the BKs (and that is getting old too) ... otherwise I don't waste my ammo.

Shute Chooting ...

Once HT disables all types of communcation for those that choose to hang in the silk (no check 6s or sit rep allowed) ... then I will stop chooting shutes ... till then ... ride that sucker in or be prepared to feel the wrath of the 303s ... unless of course you decide to pull the ripcord above 5K.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2003, 01:07:57 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Shute Chooting ...

Once HT disables all types of communcation for those that choose to hang in the silk (no check 6s or sit rep allowed) ... then I will stop chooting shutes

I didn't know that.  Yes, certainly communications should be disabled while in silk.  I'm surprised HTC didn't catch that.  LOL!

BTW, spawn camping is not an "ambush" in any realistic sense.  It's gaming the game, pure and simple.  Not any fun either, or does anybody really think it is?  Seems like it is just a skilless way to pad a kill score.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2003, 01:35:16 PM »
People being killed by a spawn camper are just as stupid as those that are being killed by a vultcher.

No one makes you spawn.

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2003, 02:12:24 PM »
Not that they have alot to do with HORDES-

Vulching can be avoided by looking around from tower before lifting.

There is no way I know of to see if a spawn point has a camper, unless you get someone to fly by & report-. The 1 time I attempted tp spawn camp, I drove all the way out to spawn point, by the time I got there a countryman had killed opposing VH:rofl . Served me right, I've never tried again.

Again vulching & spawn-camping don't have a whole lot to do with 30 guys steamrolling a line of undefended bases, while another country is steamrolling into 1st mentioned  country, & the 3rd is steamrolling into 2nd.

I also want to mention to any new guys that are just learning & following the horde-
If you are interested in TOD, its very unlikely that there will be many Hordes in the new game. You guys & gals might wanna take this time to learn some ACM, SA, plane knowledge, & tactical information. You are likely to need to know more than just follow the sheep & kill the buildings.:cool:

Anton

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2003, 02:18:32 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
People being killed by a spawn camper are just as stupid as those that are being killed by a vultcher.

No one makes you spawn.

Once again...the stupidity of the camped does not excuse the camper, nor does it imply that the camper is utilizing some kind of ambushing technique (which statement was made in an attempt to legitimize it).

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2003, 02:22:35 PM »
LOL Anton. :)  Sorry for the hijack.  Vulching is somewhat related to hordes, though--some in the hordes do not want anything but easy gangbangs on the way and easy vulches when they get there, and that increases the size of the horde.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2003, 02:52:18 PM »
Originally posted by Rude
As to TAS seeking the support of anything we have said....everyone knows we're right, thus there is no need to seek out any approval from anyone.

You need to pay more attention Beet.....you conclusions are hollow.
ROFL! Reading the second sentence too soon after reading the first is not recommended if you happen to be drinking coffe at the time! :D

As to me flying in the stratosphere - I have film shot over the last two days. What the hell are you talking about? I was hitting 224 with a load of other rooks. Sometimes I was so low to the deck that you can see my shadow. Looks like Rude is one of those guys who judges people by their stats/posts alone. A bit like judging the performance of a car by its colour, and the condition of the paintwork. :rolleyes:

If you're interested, here is that film - of course, you might want to ignore my film and/or belittle me for posting it. Why? Because film is proof, and in this case proves that you talk a load of BS. Those are the only reasons folks protest about films being posted. Well, up yours, turnfite boy! Post back after you have grown balls to go with that ***is.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2003, 02:58:00 PM »
As to me flying in the stratosphere - I have film shot over the last two days. What the hell are you talking about? I was hitting 224 with a load of other rooks. Sometimes I was so low to the deck that you can see my shadow.

haven't looked at film.. but the above is very telling...

:rolleyes:

nothing impressive there.. of the three times you were "so low as to see your own shadow" two of them were when you were making a cherrypick pass at 420+ before zooming back to the heavens, the third time was when you got a little lower and slower picking off a slow niki, and ended up in a, lol, flat-turn, screaming to be saved from the pony that came in at speed and latched on you. of course there were no otehr knits around, and you had two rooks frantically trying to save you - they did.

nothing to see there, no "balls" or "***is" -  move along...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 03:11:26 PM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2003, 03:35:18 PM »
"What the hell are you talking about? I was hitting 224 with a load of other rooks."

load = horde/gangbang ... no surprize here.

"Sometimes I was so low to the deck that you can see my shadow."

Something that your probably not to use to ... musta scared the crap outta ya. Probably thought it was a plane under you.

:D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2003, 04:27:28 PM »
beetle.... best to not post film and let people think you are a timid, cherry picking sky accountant than to post film and prove it.

lazs