Author Topic: got one of my little commie guns today..  (Read 3902 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
got one of my little commie guns today..
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2004, 08:59:36 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Your numbers seem to be a bit out of date Beet1e and the rate in the US is declining.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/leok.htm#leokweap
Thanks for pointing that out. Good to see a downward trend in those figures.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2004, 09:06:24 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I have never been burgaled while I was home beetle... something most of my countrymen can say but not so many of yours.  If you go by per capita of course.  Sooo... it would seem you are taking a big chance and getting lucky.   living in the right areas helps but you are much more likely to have burglars break in while you are home  if yu live in england than if you do in the U.S.

lazs
Twice as likely perhaps? Two times nothing is still nothing. I've never been burgled when I was in or out. Not sure what this "big chance" is that I'm taking, and I don't know about "lucky". Two houses in my road were burgled in the last year. In both cases the burglars entered garages that had been left unlocked, and stole cars and other property. I don't think they got into the houses in either case. I keep my garage locked at all times.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2004, 09:18:47 AM »
so you had two burglarys near you and you don't consider yourself lucky and that your chances are ..... "nothing"?   Oh well..

That's an ok way to live.   One shouldn't fear things that are part of life.   I am just saying that per capita... you are much more likely to to have a burglar enter your home when it is occupied than I am.   I don't really fear that but I like firearms and having one close by is an old habit that I am comfortable with.

I have lived in the same house that I built in 1980.   I had one burglary by my daughters friends while I was at work.    I had one attempted theft of gas from one of my vehicles.   I walked up to him with a 1917 45 acp Smith revolver... The confrontation went well because of this I believe.   I asked him to leave.  he complied and left his tools and gas can.   Tools weren't much... just the normal stuff for destroying a dash board to get to a stereo.

In the States... if someone breaks into your house while you are there... he is probably whacked out... either on drugs or burnt out on drugs..  He is friggin dangerous... he is not the civilized 'workingman" burglar of england where they are simply an unrecognized union.

but.... How many of you guys bought maks?   they really are pretty neat.   I don't know if the source will dry up or not but they are qulality firearms.   I believe this is about the same kinda deal as back in the sixties when Walther p38's were selling surplus for $25.

azs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2004, 09:22:33 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
but.... How many of you guys bought maks?   they really are pretty neat.   I don't know if the source will dry up or not but they are qulality firearms.   I believe this is about the same kinda deal as back in the sixties when Walther p38's were selling surplus for $25.

azs

Going to a gunshow that's here on 17-18 Apr, may see one there. Definitely going to buy a Beretta 92F, not sure which finish though.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2004, 09:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz

Our summer house/cabin was broken into once when we were not there. The "burglars" broke a window to gain access, and had a party. They drank some of the wine and liquor and ate some of the food in the freezer. Before they left they tidied up the place and cleaned the dishes, then covered the broken window with a plastic bag. This was about 10-15 years ago.

LOL
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2004, 09:45:08 AM »
well put sclotz... I would agree.  if I lived in a whitebread state that was open only to norweigens I would not feel the need either.   Some of our states are pretty much all white people with neatherlads ancestry like the dakotas...  very little crime.   others border third world country's like mexico and canada (just kidding mexico)...

If your country became more attractive to immigrants or more immigrant friendly and you had a large influx of 3rd worlders who did not speack your language... in some places say 50%  do you think that you might want to rethink your firearms policy?

I like that we have so many different peoples here.   I am not naive tho and realize that some are not bright or criminal or sociopaths or all three at once... we have gangs...

I am happy with my country.. I like the freedom and vibrant economy but I know it comes at a price and that if I want to be defended it is best to do it myself and not rely on others.   Not a problem for me.

lazs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2004, 09:49:24 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
I really like the silver finish on the Beretta. It enhances those nice curves and details of the gun. Other pistols I prefer in black or blue. Don't you agree? :)

I was gonna get the black finish but my brother has about persuaded me to get the silver because it will look new  longer. I like them both.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2004, 10:10:54 PM »
Here's my baby. I'll take her out this weekend. It looks as she was never used before so I got a virgin. :lol

Offline Stoned Gecko

• Copper Member
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2004, 11:04:44 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. You've just reminded me that I haven't been to a range in a while. :)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2004, 12:50:55 AM »
Here's my new toy. And no, I haven't cleaned it since my son and I put a couple hundred rounds through it at the range yesterday.

If I can find some cheaper ammo I'm gonna look for one of those Makarov's at the gun show Saturday.

Offline Orig

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2004, 02:38:08 AM »
AKIron,

I was going to suggest that you get the beretta but in .40 cal., not 9mm, but I see I'm too late.  The weapon is heavy enough to absorb the extra recoil but it will have a lot more stopping power.  The gun is essentially identical in .40 and 9mm except for the size of the rounds it can carry.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2004, 02:46:06 AM »
Orig, I'm planning on getting a Glock but haven't decided on the caliber. Which would you recommend between the .40 and .45?

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2004, 08:07:26 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Considering a Beretta 9MM for my first purchase. Comments?

i carried one in the army, i dont like it at all. its not a bad gun but i perfer .45 over anything

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2004, 10:09:34 AM »
russian... was it a bulgarian?  circle 10 near the serial number...  Was it covered in cosmoline?    Looks like you have bought wolf ammo.

I wouldn't buy a full sized pistol in 9mm.   The 40 is probly the best round out there for most people for semi autos.    I like 45 for full sized autos and 32 or (now) 9.2x18 for the blowback small autos.

I really like revolvers tho..  my cut down 44 mag is perfect.   My Kimber 45 is reliable with a decent round tho and it is very flat and accurate.  good nite sights.

lazs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2004, 10:15:28 AM »
My youngest son (just turned 21) has fired a pistol less than a half dozen times. However, he has a steady hand and was getting a pretty tight group with my Beretta at 15 yards. We also rented a Glock 9mm as I am thinking on buying one. He was noticeably less accurate with it than the Beretta. My grouping was about the same with both weapons but not as tight as his group with either. Why do you think? The Glock is much lighter and so has more recoil, maybe he was anticipating this?