Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 24286 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
I think you guys are so determined to "flame" me that you have missed the POINT of this thread....

What your squad and organised missions do for the community is an expected genisis.

You have achived being able to focus the energies of 20-30 players in an efficient manner and you do accomplish your goals 85% of the time. Many businesses are not even that successful. Be careful of focusing only on the rewards and power of your methods. HiTech will never publicly say he disagrees with the BORG and its successes. Power to you and I salute your abilities. But, if HiTech is changing the game in ways that seem to personaly slow down or trip up your steam roller, do you ever take pause and question what the long term outcome for those who follow you so blindly will be as BORG?

Your success, trusting followers and power to control your environment. Even if it's in a cartoon game is quite entoxicating. Ain't it?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
I'm confused.  The "furballers" are miserable or the "can't take the base cause it's too hard" guys are miserable?

they both are. because they at one time or another were given what they asked for, thus taking away their reason for complaining.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
So in the end, the AH community isn't happy unless it's complaining? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »
So in the end, the AH community isn't happy unless it's complaining? :)

although that sounds overly cynical of me.......yes...or at least that's what it almost looks like to me.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »
  Well, wherever the answer lies, it's obvious to me from listening watching the text buffer on both
country and occasionally "200" that there is a LOT of discontent among a very large percentage of
pilots in both of the Late War arenas.
  Given the restrictive CAP limits, it's a rarity anymore sufficient numbers of pilots can be recruited to
fulfill a mission's requirements to attack and subsequently capture a field. I'd comment on the absurd
size of the maps we play on which fly in the face of limiting the number of people in the arena, but that's
just another poorly (IMHO) thought out decision.
  I'm usually a mission-oriented guy, but over the course of the last month or so, I've pretty much
gone into just doing things on my own, with only an occasional "mission" tossed into the mix.
  There's just such a myriad of contributing factors that just one or two can't be singled out as
"the cause" of the problem, be they perceived or actual.
  The whole operational and strategic system currently in place just isn't working out. Most squads
disappeared over the last few years and are currently just a shell of their former selves. The arena
caps contributed directly to this, disallowing pre-planned operations as well as quite often disallowing
the entire squad from flying in the same arena.
  The towns themselves as well as the fields are simply boring. They're all exactly the same. I can't believe
it's so hard to "code" a field that this cookie-cutter approach is necessary.  The same goes for fleets; again,
all exactly the same. Why not have 2 or 3 CVs and CAs in a task force?  Any moron with a lancaster can
put an entire fleet out of business at present, and radar and ords are so easy to take out that at any given
time you can see 15 grids on a map with a single dar bar "lit" indicating a "porker" is enroute to a field.
  I don't blame 'em, actually. It's' the only thing they can "accomplish" anymore.
  The present situation with the towns is easily rectified with the extension of the "down" time of
the buildings. I personally like the fact that it's a bit tougher to tell if they're all 'down" or not. It makes
it a bit less of a "given" that a set of troops is going to work and requires some communication among the
participating attackers. Double the down time of the town buildings. This will also allow for a "counterattack"
perhaps forcing what some in here are calling a "horde" into holding in place a bit until the town has regenerated
completely.
  In any event, I hope it gets sorted out soon, I'm really losing interest and for me, that's quite a thing to say.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
The same goes for fleets; again,all exactly the same. Why not have 2 or 3 CVs and CAs in a task force? 

Here you are wrong. Depending on map, fleets can (and are) varied.
Ozkansas for example (currently up) has fleets with 1, 2 or even none cruiser. We have big and small fleets. Trinity is another map that has fleets in different sizes (albeit not as radical as OZkansas)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #261 on: October 14, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
 Well, wherever the answer lies, it's obvious to me from listening watching the text buffer on both
country and occasionally "200" that there is a LOT of discontent among a very large percentage of
pilots in both of the Late War arenas.
  Given the restrictive CAP limits, it's a rarity anymore sufficient numbers of pilots can be recruited to
fulfill a mission's requirements to attack and subsequently capture a field. I'd comment on the absurd
size of the maps we play on which fly in the face of limiting the number of people in the arena, but that's
just another poorly (IMHO) thought out decision.
  I'm usually a mission-oriented guy, but over the course of the last month or so, I've pretty much
gone into just doing things on my own, with only an occasional "mission" tossed into the mix.
  There's just such a myriad of contributing factors that just one or two can't be singled out as
"the cause" of the problem, be they perceived or actual.
  The whole operational and strategic system currently in place just isn't working out. Most squads
disappeared over the last few years and are currently just a shell of their former selves. The arena
caps contributed directly to this, disallowing pre-planned operations as well as quite often disallowing
the entire squad from flying in the same arena.
  The towns themselves as well as the fields are simply boring. They're all exactly the same. I can't believe
it's so hard to "code" a field that this cookie-cutter approach is necessary.  The same goes for fleets; again,
all exactly the same. Why not have 2 or 3 CVs and CAs in a task force?  Any moron with a lancaster can
put an entire fleet out of business at present, and radar and ords are so easy to take out that at any given
time you can see 15 grids on a map with a single dar bar "lit" indicating a "porker" is enroute to a field.
  I don't blame 'em, actually. It's' the only thing they can "accomplish" anymore.
  The present situation with the towns is easily rectified with the extension of the "down" time of
the buildings. I personally like the fact that it's a bit tougher to tell if they're all 'down" or not. It makes
it a bit less of a "given" that a set of troops is going to work and requires some communication among the
participating attackers. Double the down time of the town buildings. This will also allow for a "counterattack"
perhaps forcing what some in here are calling a "horde" into holding in place a bit until the town has regenerated
completely.
  In any event, I hope it gets sorted out soon, I'm really losing interest and for me, that's quite a thing to say.

I find myself in complete agreement with your statement. Only difference being, I've already killed my subscription. I'm awaiting the day that AH returns to its (in my eyes) former glory. Until then, I'll keep laughing at the repetition of posts and threads in these boards behind my monitor.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #262 on: October 14, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »
I clearly am not playing as much as I should.  I'm just not miserable enough! :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #263 on: October 14, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
I clearly am not playing as much as I should.  I'm just not miserable enough! :)

You are missing the big picture too.

But I still love u.

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #264 on: October 14, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
You aren't seeing the big picture.  A large percentage of the player base is completely different than you.  They are not experten, and they enjoy capturing bases and trying to conquer the map.  Many are baby seals, but they help create very fun fights in the main arena.  They also help move fights around the map to different areas and between different bases, which will create different types of fights other then the same stagnant fights between the same two bases.  Capturing a base might be relatively easy for you, but that may not be the case with lots of other players.  

The large maps that can usually be found in orange contain hundreds of bases and many captures are required for these types of players to achieve ultimate victory.  In the current setup, it is too difficult to capture a base, takes too many 'resources', and makes it nearly impossible to actually win the war.  This certainly is frustrating a decent percentage of the player base and they aren't having much fun anymore.  If they don't have fun, they won't log on and in return, I don't have fun because I can't find anybody to shoot at.  I used to make fun of players who enjoyed this aspect of the game because I personally do not enjoy it or fully understand the lure of it, but I have come to realize that the more of them there are having fun, the better the fights are on the map.

Well this is what I have been saying for years...maybe coming from you the "furballers" may give it some credence....
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »
I too have lost interest in the game...I observe lower numbers in general and I see it in the activity of my squaddies and friends....i se more guys who used to love being in fiters gravitating towards the gv aspect of the game for their satisfaction...

I also see more of the "experten" flying jets/tempests into the horde generated furballs...this puzzles me as the only reason I can see for it is to try and not put oneself at risk....my assumption is that it is hard to rtb in non-perk planes from large horde fights and k/d or landing kills is part of the satisfaction for some..

The jet comment was NOT a dig at any one pilot...it is prevalent....there is almost always a jet or tempest buzzing fights and it makes dogfighting less about 1v1's or 1v3's as trying to kill a guy before the jet buzzes through and picks you off...this used to be a rarity and now i would call it the norm...

SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
Bustr,

I like u buster.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2010, 10:56:30 PM »
You are missing the big picture too.

But I still love u.

I'll sleep a bit easier knowing that Grizz :)

You didn't reply to my simple answer thread.  That was my response to the 'big picture'. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
You didn't reply to my simple answer thread.  That was my response to the 'big picture'.  
he was too bz looking at the BIG picture.  Of course he is blind to the little picture but thats understandable.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2010, 11:03:06 PM »
I'll sleep a bit easier knowing that Grizz :)

You didn't reply to my simple answer thread.  That was my response to the 'big picture'.  

Sry i glanced over it before I left work but I will give it another looksy tomorrow.