Author Topic: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD  (Read 24290 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: TOWN TOO BIG FOR AVERAGE SQUAD
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
Bustr,

I like u buster.

Sorry, Mrs bustr says only I can share her truffles and even I have to work my tushy off to get even a crumb. Don't the muppets have a fuzzy bunny slippers retirement chocolate fund?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #271 on: October 14, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »
he was too bz looking at the BIG picture.  Of course he is blind to the little picture but thats understandable.

The little picture bores me.

Offline oceans11

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »
  Well, wherever the answer lies, it's obvious to me from listening watching the text buffer on both
country and occasionally "200" that there is a LOT of discontent among a very large percentage of
pilots in both of the Late War arenas.
  Given the restrictive CAP limits, it's a rarity anymore sufficient numbers of pilots can be recruited to
fulfill a mission's requirements to attack and subsequently capture a field. I'd comment on the absurd
size of the maps we play on which fly in the face of limiting the number of people in the arena, but that's
just another poorly (IMHO) thought out decision.
  I'm usually a mission-oriented guy, but over the course of the last month or so, I've pretty much
gone into just doing things on my own, with only an occasional "mission" tossed into the mix.
  There's just such a myriad of contributing factors that just one or two can't be singled out as
"the cause" of the problem, be they perceived or actual.
  The whole operational and strategic system currently in place just isn't working out. Most squads
disappeared over the last few years and are currently just a shell of their former selves. The arena
caps contributed directly to this, disallowing pre-planned operations as well as quite often disallowing
the entire squad from flying in the same arena.
  The towns themselves as well as the fields are simply boring. They're all exactly the same. I can't believe
it's so hard to "code" a field that this cookie-cutter approach is necessary.  The same goes for fleets; again,
all exactly the same. Why not have 2 or 3 CVs and CAs in a task force?  Any moron with a lancaster can
put an entire fleet out of business at present, and radar and ords are so easy to take out that at any given
time you can see 15 grids on a map with a single dar bar "lit" indicating a "porker" is enroute to a field.
  I don't blame 'em, actually. It's' the only thing they can "accomplish" anymore.
  The present situation with the towns is easily rectified with the extension of the "down" time of
the buildings. I personally like the fact that it's a bit tougher to tell if they're all 'down" or not. It makes
it a bit less of a "given" that a set of troops is going to work and requires some communication among the
participating attackers. Double the down time of the town buildings. This will also allow for a "counterattack"
perhaps forcing what some in here are calling a "horde" into holding in place a bit until the town has regenerated
completely.
  In any event, I hope it gets sorted out soon, I'm really losing interest and for me, that's quite a thing to say.

This is exactly the reason I start ed this thread
You took the thoughts that I was attempting to convey and clarified them.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #273 on: October 15, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »
Another thing that might help is if the town didn't need to be 100% down....just 80% or so.  Besides, everyone knows that knit troops are skilled CQB and house-to-house clearing experts, DOH!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
Another thing that might help is if the town didn't need to be 100% down....just 80% or so.  

I might find the uncertainty factor interesting. Is the town down enough?
A huge part of the town is down - Do you risk it and let the troops run... or do you wait for a few more buildings to go down, while the defenders are looking for your m3?

Of course it would ad another whine generator: "No way the town was down 80%! You haxxors!" ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #275 on: October 15, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »
Of course it would ad another whine generator: "No way the town was down 80%! You haxxors!" ;)

The game's existence is a whine generator. :)

I'm not entirely sure about 80%, that's still a fair bit of stuff up.  I'd bet if it was 80% within a week, someone would know how to make 1 pass with 2 sets of lancs or something and have 80% of the town down and ready for capture.  It would make more sense to me if it were a bit higher, so basically the town has to be effectively flat, but you've got a bit of grace if you missed a couple buildings.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Roadblck

• Zinc Member
« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »

I'm not entirely sure about 80%, that's still a fair bit of stuff up.  I'd bet if it was 80% within a week, someone would know how to make 1 pass with 2 sets of lancs or something and have 80% of the town down and ready for capture.  It would make more sense to me if it were a bit higher, so basically the town has to be effectively flat, but you've got a bit of grace if you missed a couple buildings.

Wiley.

The layout isn't the problem, it's determining if the town is indeed entirely flat or not.  I still think bright red rooftops on the intact buildings would help quite a bit.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
I still think bright red rooftops on the intact buildings would help quite a bit.

That would be a complete eye sore and would detract from the game, imho.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: October 15, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
I still think bright red rooftops on the intact buildings would help quite a bit.

I can't believe the "This is a WWII simulation, not a game" crowd hasn't chimed in with...
"Were the roofs of town buildings painted bright red to make it easier for the enemy to bomb them?  I don't think so."

Actually, I think it should be a little easier to tell if a building is down or not, but NOT from 20k.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Chugamug

• Zinc Member
« Reply #279 on: October 15, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »
Originally posted by Oddball-CAF
"The present situation with the towns is easily rectified with the extension of the "down" time of
the buildings. I personally like the fact that it's a bit tougher to tell if they're all 'down" or not. It makes
it a bit less of a "given" that a set of troops is going to work and requires some communication among the
participating attackers. Double the down time of the town buildings. This will also allow for a "counterattack"
perhaps forcing what some in here are calling a "horde" into holding in place a bit until the town has regenerated
completely."

Instead of just increasing the town's down time, make the down time linked to a supply convoy that rebuilds the town. It would be like the road convoy that now resupplies the base.
Destroy the convoy and the town is not resupplied making the town stay down longer.
How we defend/destroy the town and convoy would be left to us.
Convoy hardness and % of town rebuilt per convoy would probably be adjusted from what it is now.

Chugamug

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #281 on: October 15, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »

Wiley.

They don't want to take the time to figure out the runs a pair of Lancs need to take out the majority of the town now! Too many are looking for "easy mode" instead of putting a little time in to figure out how to work it now.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
They don't want to take the time to figure out the runs a pair of Lancs need to take out the majority of the town now! Too many are looking for "easy mode" instead of putting a little time in to figure out how to work it now.

It does remind me a bit of the kids I work with.  They get excited about the newest X-Box or Playstation game, but get bored fast and are soon looking for the 'cheat codes' so they can finish the game quickly.  The 'win' comes from finishing the game fast, not beating the game.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »

A agree that they shouldn't be _bright_ red, but a contrasting natural color would be good, ie: adobe or brick red.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »
It does remind me a bit of the kids I work with.  They get excited about the newest X-Box or Playstation game, but get bored fast and are soon looking for the 'cheat codes' so they can finish the game quickly.  The 'win' comes from finishing the game fast, not beating the game.

It's a different kind of mentality playing video games these days.  The gaming world shifted substantially a few years ago to the game being viewed as content that everyone can eventually get to see.  Remember in the coin op days you had a limited number of lives to play, then it was start from the beginning when you inserted another quarter.  Then they figured out if they had the option to continue for another quarter, people would start plugging them like mad just to see the end.

It's the same thing now.  If you look at console games and pretty much every MMOG out there, if you have enough patience and bring enough of your friends, you can eventually do pretty much everything there is to do in them, and you never suffer a setback.  Flight sims and FPS's are a couple of the last bastions of games requiring something that could be called 'skill' left in gaming.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11