Author Topic: Since Bush became president...  (Read 2886 times)

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Since Bush became president...
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2003, 03:07:51 PM »
slimm, you a big CCR fan?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Since Bush became president....
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2003, 03:08:43 PM »
Weazel has worn out three keyboards!  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2003, 03:10:27 PM »
Weazel,

You can find almost anything posted on the net.  Much of it is one-sided.  If you search long enough, you can find information to back up any position, no matter how indefensible it may be.

"There are lies; damned lies; and statistics."

I don't watch Fox News very often.  From what I HAVE seen I can say that their political commentaries are no more biased than those of Phil Donahue.  These things seem to balance themselves out.

You don't serve your side well by finding fault with every viewpoint held by the opposition.  Bush isn't right about everything.  Clinton wasn't wrong about everything.  Only rational arguments are worthwhile.

Shuckins

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2003, 03:17:18 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
why on earth would AlQaeda waste theit time killing abosuletly pointless europeans

Oh well, good old grun.
Former european, present american wannabe, eating apple pie and so on. So, I've asked this before and I ask it now again; when you are going to say what on earth happened to you that made you such idiotic europe-hater and so US wannabe? Really? Tell us, we'll understand, speak, it'll make you feel better...

;)

Vector

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2003, 03:23:32 PM »
Originally posted by whgates3
slimm, you a big CCR fan?

When I was in high school CCR was my fav group. I think I still have every one of their albums in my garage somewhere.:cool:

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2003, 03:24:55 PM »
I just thought "it came out of the sky" was pretty appropriate for the way I fly in AH.

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Shuckins
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2003, 03:25:33 PM »
I only watch two news programs...McNeil/Lehrer and BBC World.

McNeil/Lehrer is conservative leaning but it doesn't constantly screech "lefty-liberal" in every other sentence.

BBC World is liberal but gives the viewer insight in how the rest of the world percieves the United States.

I do get most of my news from the internet as IMO it's the last truly free source of news available in the US...but to tell the truth I can't seem to find many right wing sources that don't scream the same old tired lefty roadkill.

Phil Donahue?

I rate him right up there with Bloatrah Wimpfrey as a credible news source.  :D

I only believe in one "side"[/i] in the political spectrum...and that side is America, and what we're supposed to be and stand for....too bad chimpy doesn't stand for the same or I could get behind him.

Sorry Toad, but this MS Internet keyboard is over 2 years old....best thing Microsloth has ever sold. ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2003, 03:33:39 PM by weazel »

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2003, 03:34:14 PM »
...it would be very unlike blair to ever give up any sort of power vouluntarily.

Not if you know there was an alledged agreement between Blair and Gordon Brown (current Chancellor of the Exchequer) that Blair would be leader of the party and then hand over the reigns after x number of years/terms. I think it will be interesting to see if that happens.

Regarding Blair's shuttle diplomacy - Blair had to get in with Bush. He's a left-wing politician and very close friend of Clinton - to maintain any sort of relationship with America it was important to get on the right footing, even if it did mean Bush could stay at home and use Blair as an envoy. And yes, it was embarrassing.

Now, if Bush had not been swayed by Blair to go the UN route (and swayed he was - you only need to look at the rhetoric of a year ago compared to now), I don't think things would be going very smoothly at all right now, in terms of world politics.

At least something positive came out of that toadying.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2003, 03:39:50 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
At least something positive came out of that toadying.

I wasn't there, you didn't see me and you can't prove a thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2003, 03:45:35 PM »
like it or not ( I like it ), we have the BEST man that ran for the Office in the Office

Like it or not, there's a good chance that G.W.'s brother "fixed" the election for him. If we ever uncover evidence that he did, then G.W. should be removed from office and his brother prosecuted.
     G.W. is an idiot. The things that the terrorists did are really scary, but it's what G.W. might do in retaliation that scares me even more. If/until the inspectors uncover "real" evidence that Iraq has these weapons, attacking is "really" going to piss off not only the Arab world, but a lot of the world period.
     You people who rattle their sabres and say "nuke em all" are truly dangerous.  Take a look at the big picture and what the future could hold if things get out of hand. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye.
      On a similar note, someone needs to develope an alternate energy source besides oil. They probably already have, but the oil companies are squashing it because it would put them out of business. Just think, if we didn't need oil anymore, we really wouldn't give a crap about what went on in the Middle East. If there were no demand for oil, they would all be riding camels again and playing in their big sand box.

I'm done(for now).

Stony

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2003, 03:53:23 PM »
slimm, you ever consider Fortunate Son?

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2003, 04:00:29 PM »
Originally posted by whgates3
slimm, you ever consider Fortunate Son?

Heheheh...smooth.. I give ya credit fer slippin that in..well done. Yes I've considered that, and my feeling on that is: so what if Bush the elder did use his influence and/or connections to get his son into the Guard (and I'm not convinced he did)? How many fathers would've done differently if they could? That wasn't Junior's fault.  At least he served in the miltary in some capacity. He's a man who seems capable of learning from his mistakes,a nd making himself into someone better for having made them. (now I sound like I'm rambling, so enuff for now).

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2003, 04:05:15 PM »
I wasn't there, you didn't see me and you can't prove a thing.

:D
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
But deserting his unit in time of war WAS his fault...but I'm sure you have an excuse for that too. :rolleyes:

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Originally posted by weazel
But deserting his unit in time of war WAS his fault...but I'm sure you have an excuse for that too. :rolleyes:

How did he desert his unit? Are you saying anyone who has to stay behind when their unit goes to th battlefield is a deserter or slacker? It happens all the time. I know a fellow who was a pilot in WWII who spent the entire war ferrying generals and such from Hawaii to  the mainland and back. I don't regard him as a slacker or deserter. Look at Bob Hoover's record. He had to try every trick in the book just to get into a combat squadron, and if the war had ended much earlier he never would've made it into one. So, just because GW's unit went, and some, including him, stayed behind doesn't make him or the others less patriotic, in my view.:)