Author Topic: 30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality  (Read 11266 times)

Offline mold

• Copper Member
30 on 5 -The Horde Mentality
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2003, 01:26:51 PM »
Your posts are certainly quite angry, whether you care to admit it or not.

The game doesn't matter.  Just dots on the screen.  But your behavior matters--always, in work and in play.  Don't justify your poor behaviour by saying "it's only a game".

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2003, 01:39:48 PM »
Originally posted by mold
Your posts are certainly quite angry, whether you care to admit it or not.
[/B]

Whining about unfairness demonstrates anger, or in the very least frustration, with the game.  Certainly it showcases a fundamental misunderstanding of the game and its rules of conduct.  Perhaps a new game would better suit your psychological needs?

The game doesn't matter.  Just dots on the screen.  But your behavior matters--always, in work and in play.  Don't justify your poor behaviour by saying "it's only a game".

My "poor behavior?"  LOL!  Shooting your chute, vulching you, and cherry picking you aren't "poor behaviors."  You think they're poor behavior, but what you consistently fail to understand is that these activities are not actually antisocial, poor behavior, or anything else in Aces High beyond killing pixels on the screen.  They are as much a part of this game as any other activities, so I'm afraid you'll have to deal with that fact or move on with your gaming life.

Sorry, but when you equated so-called dishonorable behavior in Aces High to inhumanity, you guaranteed that just about everyone consider you a misguided nutcase.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2003, 02:21:24 PM »
I think the guys who worry about "honor" are the ones who don't get enough kills to distract em...  

Leviathn moves on because he get's a number of kills per hour.  Like me... he doesn't care how he get's em he just get's em and moves on to the next.

those who worry about the kill are those who have a lot of time between kills.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2003, 02:21:27 PM »
You can either keep justifying a mistake to yourself, or correct it.  Your choice man.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2003, 02:24:22 PM »
You can either keep justifying a mistake to yourself, or correct it.  Your choice man.

Explain exactly where this "mistake" is explained and/or defined ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2003, 02:32:51 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Explain exactly where this "mistake" is explained and/or defined ?

Think it through yourself, and be honest with yourself.  Don't just argue for its own sake.  This is not to benefit me--I will continue to play the way I like.  If you want to spawn camp and vultch, well it's a free country.  But don't get upset when someone criticizes you for it, because after all, you don't care, right?  Get the kill and move on to the next.  If you are truly comfortable with yourself, you do not have to argue with me about it.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2003, 02:42:53 PM »
And.... if you didn't keep bringing it up.... no one would argue with you about it.

lazs

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2003, 02:44:21 PM »
Think it through yourself, and be honest with yourself.  Don't just argue for its own sake.  This is not to benefit me--I will continue to play the way I like.  If you want to spawn camp and vultch, well it's a free country.  But don't get upset when someone criticizes you for it, because after all, you don't care, right?  Get the kill and move on to the next.  If you are truly comfortable with yourself, you do not have to argue with me about it.

I am not arguing ... I am very comfortable where I am at. I am simply asking where and what source is the "mistake" defined in so I can better understand where you are coming from ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2003, 02:47:20 PM »
Todd's real self hatred comes from being unable to put up a decent hit%

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline mold

• Copper Member
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2003, 02:56:06 PM »
Well...as to where I'm coming from, I think that folks should behave decently in the game, even though the game itself is something that doesn't matter.  I try to do so myself, and appreciate it when others do the same.  I put things like spawn camping and vulching in the "dishonorable" category.  Such behaviour is obviously going to persist whether I like it or not, but these are my opinions anyway.

I also feel that it is an excuse to say that "these are dots on the screen, so it doesn't matter how I behave".  I think making such excuses is an indication that the perpetrator is really not comfortable with his own behavior, whether he admits it to himself or not.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2003, 03:02:02 PM »
My goal when I fly AH is to blow holes in your little pixel plane, ditto for your little pixel chute, watch your little dot man splatter on the virtual terrain then fly to your virtual base, kill your best pixel pal, land, punch your pixel CO,kick your dot dog, and kiss your virtual girlfriend.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2003, 03:14:18 PM »
IMO

Hordes suck, so do all that fly in them.

Dont be afraid to use the skills you have. Dont be afraid to learn new skills.

30 guys pounding an undefended base is boring at best. Reach deep inside of yourself to find that inner strength to not need 29 wingmen to make you feel secure. You can do IT!!!

A_Clown

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2003, 03:43:31 PM »
AW under Gamestorm and the Big Pork was just the same, if not worse, because it was even harder to get to the fight. I can remember flying some 3 sector missions just to get in the action because the enemy would be that far away (and your side too, milkrunning some deserted corner). That's why I looked up AH in the first place.

I Think a big part of the horde mentality is ego. It sucks to die over and over and over again... particularly when it's not some AI routine causing the death. I went for about a year in AW DOS before I got a positive K/D, but I suppose my attitude was one of getting better regradless, even when my lack of SA and e-management skills led to some pretty hard months. I can see how easy it would be though, to play it safe.

Fundamentally, the map design can help, but I believe there needs to be a major reworking of the strat model that encourages interaction to achieve any real goal. In AW DOS there was the central map concept and lack of reset. If you wanted to accomplish anything you really had no choice but to do it in an area where there was guranteed to be some opposition -- often all three countries in the same square. Great gaming experience.

Netcode/numbers issues made the central concept less viable in AW with Gamestorm (and maybe here as well) but there are options that have been suggested in the past to require real strategy and mixed operations that might make for some more action.

Charon

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2003, 04:02:08 PM »
Well...as to where I'm coming from, I think that folks should behave decently in the game, even though the game itself is something that doesn't matter.  I try to do so myself, and appreciate it when others do the same.  I put things like spawn camping and vulching in the "dishonorable" category.  Such behaviour is obviously going to persist whether I like it or not, but these are my opinions anyway.

I also feel that it is an excuse to say that "these are dots on the screen, so it doesn't matter how I behave".  I think making such excuses is an indication that the perpetrator is really not comfortable with his own behavior, whether he admits it to himself or not.

Ahhh ... I see ... these "mistakes" are all part of the "mold" doctrine of engagement in virtual war.

Maybe HT will turn on "show smoke" in the MA so that when planes are launching from a enemy base (as we fly above it) with show smoke on, we won't vulch them, and only when they feel that their plane is up to engagement speed, they will turn the smoke off and then fight is on. (This is standard in H2H FFA Arenas)

and ...

When GVs after GVs are pouring out of a spawn point and attacking our base, we won't advance onto that point until they have generated enough armor to mount a sizable task force, and at that point, they will shoot a flare into the air to signal that they are ready for engagement. HT will have to code the flare cause we don't have it now but it would needed to correct the "mistake".

I saw an interview with a British Spit pilot. He told the story of his first engagement which he, for all intents and purposes, won. He really tore up the FW but couldn't get himself to finish the job and kill another human being, so he did what he thought was the honorable thing to do ... he let the FW return.

He then went on to say that during his flight home he realized that the guy he just let go could return tomorrow and kill him and worse, kill one of his squaddies.

He said ... he never made that "mistake" again.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2003, 04:12:32 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
I went for about a year in AW DOS before I got a positive K/D,

...wow...only a year?

Now I AM depressed.

- oldman

(Really?  Just a year?)

(Rats)