Author Topic: what is your biggest pet peeve???  (Read 5320 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: what is your biggest pet peeve???
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »
This is just like the illogical argument that people shouldn't wear their seatbelts because you or someone you know got in an accident and lived because they didn't have it on (yes people actually argue this). Sure there are exceptions to everything, but you need to look at the big picture to really make an informed decision.
i don't know how to do the multiple quotes...so i'll do it this way. i actually DID know a guy that would've died with his seatbelt on......he lost control of his car in the rain, and hit a tree, with his drivers door......they said that had he been belted in, he'd have been dead.

that being said, i always wear my seatbelt.....not because it's a law, but rather because i know better(from racing).it's also why i didn't get FUBAR'd in either the flip over, or the head on....

Great, I like it too, but there is a time and place. Do it at the race track or auto cross circuit, not the open road putting other peoples life in danger. I don't care how good of a driver you think you are, your car becomes more dangerous and harder to control the faster you go, there is no arguing that, no matter what you think you can 'handle'. by "faster", i'm not talking about doing 100mph down the interstate......i generally do between 70 and 80mph on the local freeways around here. on other roads(except where there's known speed traps) i do anywhere from 5mph to 15mph over the posted limit. i adjust these speeds according to the weather conditions, and i slow down a LOT if i feel tired.

yes, i realize that a car is harder to control at higher speeds. this is why i slow down when i feel tired.  i generally also know how far i can push my car.

Now this is just getting silly. Lets do some simple math now (because obviously you didn't). 30 mile drive on a highway, lets assume posted limit is 65 mph. If you drive the limit it will take you 27 minutes 41 seconds to get home. If you drive 10 mph over the limit, it will take you 24 minutes to get home, with a net savings of 3 minutes and 41 seconds. Where the heck do you get 20 minutes?  :lolpart of my trip home is back roads. part is on the freeway. i don't need to do math, when i can look at my watch, seeing i'm home 20 minutes earlier than i am when i'm at the speed limit. where i did mis-state myself there, is that i(as mentioned earlier)cruise between 70 and 80mph. that late at night, i keep it to 70....most of the way on the freeway,  the posted limit is 55. some of the back roads are posted at 35, with no homes, no driveways, no blind intercections......so i'm generally between 45and 55 on these roads.

Your vehicles must be different than every other vehicle on the road then, or your just making stuff up like the 20 minutes saved comment.  :rolleyes:in all honesty, i go by the "flight computer" in the console. the dakota on level straight freeway, at 75 shows 19. at 65 it shows 17. at 55, it varies between 16 and 17. at 35 to 45, it shows well over 22.
 the minivan, i've never done 55 on the freeway long enough to get an accurate reading. it shows about 26 to 28 at 75, but at 80, it does drop considerably.

Most vehicles have the highest fuel economy around 45-55 mph. Aerodynamic drag increases with the cube of speed. From a scientific study, "All cars demonstrated decreasing fuel economy beyond 65 mph (105 km/h), with wind resistance the dominant factor, and may save up to 25% by slowing from 70 mph (110 km/h) to 55 mph (89 km/h)."tried that in the dakota, and it didn;t save me anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles

So yea, basically all of your things you say about going faster are false. If you want to be safer, save gas, and have a less stressful drive, just go slower (and maybe leave 5 minutes earlier, gee who ever thought of that!). i leave in plenty of time to get where i'm going when i want to be there, regardless of my driving fast or slow. i spend a lot of time behind incompetent people. by this i mean the aformentioned drivers that panic at the slightest sign of rain, or snow(and south nj is chock full of them).    then there are the competent ones that just drive slow.........and on a two lane road, they drive side by side(which is illegal as the one on the left isn't passing)

my drives are totally stress free, when i can drive freely. when i have the guy that actually STOPS at the bottom of an on ramp to the freeway, when he should be at highway speed, and merging, THAT makes things stressful.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:33 PM »
akhog, i never said i was in a hurry, i just have a need for speed and believe me i waited for the next safe moment and passed the person that was drivin like it was sunday with no problem. just cuz i go over the speed limit 5mph (btw i have never gotten a speeding ticket and have had my license since i was 16) does NOT mean i can NOT control my car. my daily drive was a 2001 GMC sierra 1 ton dually with 8.1 liter BB in it, and my fun truck to drive was a 91 GMC sonoma with a 454 BB in it with 350 turbo trans and B&M shift kit in it. i drove the same in them as i do my pontiac grand prix. im cautious when im drivin but it does not mean that i can't do a lousy 5 mph over the speed limit and still not be a safe driver.

i have to agree with yall bout the left lane is the fast lane! that drives me nuts also!!!! or them truck drivers that are goin 1 mph faster than the other truck and decide to pass them and it takes them 100 miles just to accomplish their goal! wth is up with that!!!!!
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
Guys at my job wanting to borrow my tools  :furious The SnapOn truck comes on thursdays....go ask HIM for a ratchet!  :aok

i willingly lend my tools to one person, and one person only. known the dude for 30 years. he got me into this field, and is the only person i would trust tomorrow if i had to with the keys and alarm code to my shop.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
If I understand this correctly, if someone is driving 50 in a 55 zone they should pull off onto the side of the road and stop to let others go around them?

most roads with speed limits that high have what is called an "improved shoulder"  I.E. a shoulder almost as wide as a regular lane. the guy going slow can maintain his speed, but just move over on to the shoulder and let the other cars pass, instead of forcing them to go into oncoming traffic to get around him.

On a side note, nothing would bring me more joy than put in "drive right" law..   which states on multi lane roads and highways that the left lane is for passing only.. if you just cruise in the left lane.. you get a ticket.  You drive in the right lane(s), pass on the left, period.    It endlessly irks me when 1 car is going slow in the right lane, and the guy behind him gets in the left lane..  but doesn't pass..  he just cruises about a car length behind the other guy like he is doing some sort of formation driving.. instant rolling road block.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:09:08 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
most roads with speed limits that high have what is called an "improved shoulder"  I.E. a shoulder almost as wide as a regular lane. the guy going slow can maintain his speed, but just move over on to the shoulder and let the other cars pass, instead of forcing them to go into oncoming traffic to get around him.

Aha!  Around here we dont have anything like that, just a regular everyday shoulder/ditch
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 10:52:33 PM »
Post lag :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:54:31 PM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 11:32:11 PM »
Being lied to and being ignored.

This^^^^

People "smacking" when chewing gum or especially eating.

People popping their necks.

Teens and children not saying "Ma'am or Sir."

Students who disrespect teachers no matter how much they dislike them.

Rap "music"
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 11:42:08 PM »
Sigh...

I still cant get over the "the-road-is-mine" types in this thread, in fact its almost sad. Some of you complain that slow drivers are the problem, you couldn't be more wrong. Its the speed demons that are really at fault, plain and simple. Guess what, that slow poke on the road ahead of you is only dangerous when you decide to make them so! One poster mentioned someone using the shoulder to allow a driver to pass, give me a freaking break! Have you ever stopped to see whats on an "improved shoulder"? It ain't pretty, as a matter of fact I feel a tire patch coming on just thinking about it. Not to mention using the break down lane for that purpose is probably illegal. I will say it again, "I own the road" types are my biggest pet peeve, bar none. They are probably the same ones that whine when someone doesn't fly to their satisfaction!

This coming from some one who drove 171 mph on the drag strip tonight and drove the over speed limit on the way home. Yeah I speed, but when gramps gets on the road and does the speed limit I don't piss and moan about either. I either go around or enjoy the freaking scenery and wish I was back on the drag strip with 900hp at my toes.

:mad:

Strip

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 11:50:04 PM »
Oh, another pet peeve...is when I'm driving (I ALWAYS do the speed limit to the EXACT mph..maybe 1-2 mph over) and my passenger telling me I drive too slow.  The speed limit is there for a reason...
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
I dislike the phrase "pet peeve" really.

The word dweeb.

Up tight people.

And the lady who sits in front of me in class who talks a lot but doesn't really say anything.

Example

Professor: These were a creative people.
Lady: mmmmhmmm

Something like that the entire class after almost every statement the professor makes. Drives me crazy, almost so much so I am tempted to say something.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »

...  my bigest "pet peeve" are this creatures,on high grades ,snow covered sections of Trans canada highway, specially in the night.They don't care about my big 18 wheeler truck,  always around the highway this time of the year,  licking the deicing salt from roads.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 01:30:01 AM »
This is just like the illogical argument that people shouldn't wear their seatbelts because you or someone you know got in an accident and lived because they didn't have it on (yes people actually argue this). Sure there are exceptions to everything, but you need to look at the big picture to really make an informed decision.

Great, I like it too, but there is a time and place. Do it at the race track or auto cross circuit, not the open road putting other peoples life in danger. I don't care how good of a driver you think you are, your car becomes more dangerous and harder to control the faster you go, there is no arguing that, no matter what you think you can 'handle'.

Now this is just getting silly. Lets do some simple math now (because obviously you didn't). 30 mile drive on a highway, lets assume posted limit is 65 mph. If you drive the limit it will take you 27 minutes 41 seconds to get home. If you drive 10 mph over the limit, it will take you 24 minutes to get home, with a net savings of 3 minutes and 41 seconds. Where the heck do you get 20 minutes?  :lol

Your vehicles must be different than every other vehicle on the road then, or your just making stuff up like the 20 minutes saved comment.  :rolleyes:

Most vehicles have the highest fuel economy around 45-55 mph. Aerodynamic drag increases with the cube of speed. From a scientific study, "All cars demonstrated decreasing fuel economy beyond 65 mph (105 km/h), with wind resistance the dominant factor, and may save up to 25% by slowing from 70 mph (110 km/h) to 55 mph (89 km/h)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles

So yea, basically all of your things you say about going faster are false. If you want to be safer, save gas, and have a less stressful drive, just go slower (and maybe leave 5 minutes earlier, gee who ever thought of that!).

Sorry, I'm gonna bite, as one of my pet peeves is slow drivers. Keep in mind, we aren't saying what speed you ARE driving. On an open four lane road in nice conditions with no stop lights or other obstructions, is 45mph an unreasonable speed to expect to drive? After all, add one more lane and a median, and you would expect the speed limit to be in the 50s. What if you live in Hawaii where this road has a speed limit of 25mph? Are you gonna do 15 just to be sure?

Yes, a man tearing down the road at 90+ is unsafe in most conditions. However, there are many, many conditions in which our speeds can be exceeded safely. Rather than wikipedia, all I have to cite to prove my point is the Autobahn. No, not every road is like that, but it is one of many cases in which higher speeds can be safely achieved.

Another pet peeve is intentionally improper grammar/English. Some aren't perfect, that's fine, but when you go out of your way to butcher the language...

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 07:22:56 AM »
You can hardly compare the Autobahn to the American highway system, the drivers and road are completely different.

Strip

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl

LOL, speeling is another issue!  :lol
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline mcboi

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 08:08:59 AM »
I think my biggest pet peeve that really pisses me off is when im at work and people/customers like to stand over your shoulder while your trying to work on their car!!! I build custom cars and also work as a mechanic and it really aggravates the piss outta me when they like to stand behind and watch what your doing. Then you get some that like to chat while your working so you really can't concentrate on what your doing. When this happens i usually stop whatever im doing and go get a cup of coffee, go drop a hot one, or start chatting on my phone til they get the picture that i dont want them hovering over me while im working. I even asked someone once if when they work do people stand over his shoulder and watch him work  :rolleyes: