Author Topic: And people think _'s are bad?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
And people think _'s are bad?
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2002, 09:00:43 AM »
Duedel, a few questions for you... (just curious)

1. How old are you?
2. What part of Germany did you grow up in?

Mike/wulfie

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2002, 09:38:16 AM »
Oedipus,

I don't think anyone is irrational to find it offensive (the SS in the handle). My thinking is this though...say you've got 100 'hatred points' to direct against the perpetrators of 'the final solution'.

It seems alot of people divide up their points like this (Not saying you do by the way):

Hitler and other major leaders: 50 points.
Everyone who wore an SS uniform: 50 points.

If the points were divided evenly, in a perfect world with total knolwedge, the breakdown for me would be 'a fraction of a point assigned to everyone who knew they were doing something against the basic principles of humanity and did so willingly'.

My problem with blanket accusations/assignments/labels in this case is this - 'The SS were the final solution' is way too simple an explanation - a simple explanation that lets lots of people deserving of condemnation 'off the hook'. There were plenty of 'regular Germans' who never wore a SS uniform that commited far worse acts 'against humanity' than some who did wear a SS uniform.

Take the Gestapo - there were members of the Gestapo who were police investigators before WW2. After the beginning of WW2, when Himmler was given the power to consolidate all police and security forces under his control, alot of 'vanilla detectives' who were working in a counterespionage role were now, all of a sudden, 'members of the Gestapo'.

I want specifics. The above mentioned detective isn't evil in my book. Attempting to thwart enemy spies operating in your homeland is what counterintelligence officers do in time of war. The 'Gestapo' was an evil organization by virtue of the motives and deeds of it's senior leadership. But like the Waffen-SS, it was not an 'all volunteer' organization. The detective mentioned above isn't evil to me. An interrogator torturing captured enemy intelligence officers isn't evil to me - the U.K., U.S.A., U.S.S.R. - all tortured captured enemy intelligence officers during WW2. That's how it works during war time, and every intelligence officer ever trained knows it. It's the officers of the Gestapo that spent their daily lives 'rooting out hidden jews' and 'detaining enemies of the state who dared speak against Hitler' that I consider to be evil.

To make such a general accusation - 'All agents of the Gestapo were evil' is to use the same reasoning and rhetoric that facist and communist leaders have used worldwide...'All jews are repsonsible for the downfall of European stability'...'All educated persons are a threat to the party'...etc., etc., etc.

If they commited evil acts, or if they supported people commiting evil acts and knew they were doing so, hang 'em high. But take the time to root out the truly guilty - every single one of them if possible.

In my opinion, the topic is too important to not be discussed in as much detail as possible.

Also, has anyone reading/writing to this thread ever heard of the 'de nazification process'? At the end of the war, nearly every member of the armed forces (Waffen-SS included) and everyone who held any 'official position' within 'the 3d reich' (school teachers included) was interviewed, classified, and often put before a tribunal consisting of Allied investigators. Numerous members (the majority, to be honest) of the Waffen-SS, the Gestapo (mainly 'shanghaied' cases like the detective mentioned above), etc. were cleared by investigators when the 'evidence' was fresh and witnesses were easily found. Statements like the ones that have been made in this thread tend to seem silly to me because of this - who has a better grasp of the reality of the situation? Someone who's read a few books 50 years after the fact or Allied investigators, in occupied Germany, with ample 'fresh' data and access to records, witnesses, etc.

Here's an interesting read - an interview with a German armed forces member...he talks about before the war, during, and after. Pay close attention to his recollection of what the attitudes of the Germans of military service age were. Note the lack of 'political zeal', and the attitudes that don't differ much from what you or I had at the age of 20 or so, regardless of what Nation we were citizens of. Also notice the fact that he was in a German regular Army unit (a unit of the Wehrmacht) that maintained a bodyguard detachment for Hitler.

'But that can't be! He wasn't in the SS!'

http://www.feldgrau.com/interview6.html

Mike/wulfie

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2002, 10:09:31 AM »
Muckmaw you got it only half right..

I assume by this, Camo, that you mean if Germany won WWII, we would be reading about how the U.S. Executed millions of Jews, and other Non-desirables?

If the war flipped the other way, the history would be written in this way:

The unpure non-arian scum who tried to stop our great leader of purging the country of jews and other non-humane material were destroyed by the superior race despite the war crimes and hundreds of thousands of civillians they murdered during the airraids against the civillian targets.

The children would be raised to think of jews as the lesser race and anyone with nazi education would be proud to be the first one to push the trigger on any caught. As this would be the official truth, nobody would think there's anything weird about it. Just as people in Vietnam think it's normal to eat dogs while we find it repulsive. Matter of upbringing.

If Iraq would have won the consortium during the gulf war, we'd be studying and teaching our kids the Koran and demanding for our women to hide their faces.. etc.

Naturally there would be a bunch of people who would disagree with the common views. In a nazi / Saddam society those would be forced to stay underground or terminated..

Just as today, the people who disagree with American foreign policies or even internal, are being watched by the intelligence agencies and thier opinnions will cause problems in getting a visa to the country etc. Thank God the current administration isn't one that systematically murders any opposition.

However that could be the case and still IS in many countries on this planet.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2002, 10:13:42 AM »
Hmmm, now to hijack a thread... :)

I don't think the KGB belongs with the others on that list. It's an intelligence service of a sovereign State, as opposed to a terrorist organization. Elements of the KGB have certainly done heinous things (to be expected when it's the intelligence service of a totalitarian regime), but at the height of the cold war KGB agents were not targeting civilians in West Germany with terrorist bomb attacks.

You are right about earned nasty reputations. But if the people who defeated Germany, and had to fight the Waffen-SS to do so, can differentiate between the SS department responsible for the final solution in detail and the armed formations of the Waffen-SS...why can't we?

You live in the U.K. Members of the U.K.s military forces, who had fought vs. the Waffen-SS, spoke on behalf of Waffen-SS personnel before 'de nazification tribunals' immediately after WW2. The were attrocities commited vs. the armed forces of the U.K. by a unit of the Waffen-SS - twice, during the battle of France (1940). Members of the U.K. military made sure that those responsible for those incidents were tried for war crimes. They also understood that this did not mean that the Waffen-SS soldiers they fought in Normandy 4 years later were 'by default' mindless butchers. They considered them to be tough, dangerous opponents.

Mike/wulfie

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2002, 10:18:18 AM »
Originally posted by Duedel

To explain this a little bit more:

For the germans (and other too) SS, Gestapo and SA stand for the most obnoxious kind of nazism. They are the most evil spawn of the morbid thoughts of Adolf Hitler.

And to those making jokes about people getting offended by Mr. WaffenSS: come to euroland and russia and talk to older people. They will explain u why they begin to cry even when they only see the insignia of the SS.

What Duedel said.

SS Units during the war ( Waffen ) were known for their total disregard for human life, be it prisoners or civilians. They were the bearers of death to all in it's path.

Soviet units ( no geneva convention in eastern front ) had a standard of shooting anyone with SS tatoo ( they tattoed themselves on the arm ) on the spot.
For them there wasn't much distinction between different parts of SS organization. Frankly I don't blame them.

Let me give you a current world comparison:

Hamas, reknown terrorist organization also does lot of "community work". They teach children and do other "nice" things in community.
Anyone wants to sign up for a membership ?

SSWaffen name is in bad taste. I'd be suprized if HTC would let it stand. It will assure some customers leaving due to immaturity level.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2002, 10:19:05 AM »
Wolfie,
   I'm sure you have, but have you read a book by Guy Sajer titled Forgotten Soldier? The one about the French kid who's mother was German and got conscripted and sent to the Eastern front? That was one incredible book. Very enlightening for me as I had only rudimentery knowledge of what happend  on the Eastern front.
   What I find disturbing is that each time I read it(3) I get the feeling of disbelief. Its hard to comprehend someone surviving all that.
    What did you think about it?

Maybe I should've posted this in OT...sorry

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2002, 10:27:58 AM »
Originally posted by Lizard3
What I find disturbing is that each time I read it(3) I get the feeling of disbelief. Its hard to comprehend someone surviving all that.

You aren't alone.  More than one scholar has looked into it and concluded that the Guy Sajer character in the book is fiction.  Either pure fiction, or a fictionalized medley of stories from more than one soldier's career.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 10:33:55 AM by funkedup »

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2002, 10:35:48 AM »
Every single German SS Division committed atrocities.

I don't think HTC will risk the reputation of their game by allowing that handle.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2002, 10:38:09 AM »
Fd-Ski,

There is no 'track record' of the Waffen-SS killing Allied prisoners on the Western front. There were a few (less than 5 for the entire war, if memory serves) incidents on the Western front. The people guilty for those incidents were identified by surviving British military personnel after the war and tried for their crimes.

The Russians did not shoot every prisoner 'with an SS tatoo'. There are numerous veterans of the Waffen-SS who returned from Russian captivity, which proves this statement to be incorrect. Some were no doubt shot, many died in gulags after WW2. But most of the 'shoot on the spot' treatment on the Eastern front was reserved for partisans and such. For the most part, barring the Japanese, front line soldiers tended to take the surrender of other front line soldiers - East front or West. Most of the Russian POWs who perished died from starvation and disease once they were sent to POW camps back in Germany and the occupied territories.

At least according to persons I have talked to and interviewed.

Also, I've interviewed a couple of Russian AFV crewmen from WW2. They appeared to have no specific problem with the Waffen-SS, outside of knowing there was going to be some tough fighting if they were in the area.

Again - there is a memorial site dedicated to 200 Waffen-SS soldiers located in the Ukraine. If the Russians can differentiate between members of a group responsible for attrocites (special extermination squads) and combat troops with the same lapel insignia but part of an entirely different division of the same organization...

Once again - I can understand why some would be offended by the handle. But being offended by the handle does not make the statements 'All members of the Waffen-SS were war criminals' and 'There is no distinction between the (General)SS and the Waffen-SS' any less false.

Everyone - here's part of a transcript from the Nuremburg trials in 1946...pretty interesting stuff:

"I leave out the next few sentences.
With flagging hope Dr. Morgen made his report for the third time, with which, as before, he wanted to help find the guilty, protect the innocent, and to show the German people and the world the final guilt of the criminal leadership for the most horrible murders in world history. In this he succeeded.

I leave out the next paragraph in which I describe the beginning of the concentration camp system and the participation of the SS.

But soon the establishment and guarding of concentration camps were legalized. From 1933, 1934, on, they were financed from the budget of the individual German States leader. As head of the Political Police of all Lander, except Prussia, Himmler, in 1934, uniformly regulated the guard and administrative conditions. By taking over a part of the previous guard personnel, SA and SS men, he created the Death's Head formations and supplemented them with volunteers from all sections of the population without consideration of membership in the Party and the SS. They were then intended exclusively for guarding concentration camps and comprised, in the year 1936, 400 men from the Kommandantur and 3,600 men for guard duties. They guarded about 10,000 to 12,000 prisoners in five concentration camps all over Germany. I ask you to compare the then unusually large membership of the General SS with these figures.

In 1936 the concentration camps and their guard personnel were taken over into the Reich budget and separated according to Kommandantur and guard personnel. At the beginning of the war the Kommandantur personnel consisted of 600 men; the guard personnel amounted to about 7,400 men. There were only six concentration camps in all Germany, containing 21,300 prisoners, and as yet no work or subsidiary camps existed. At that time there were about 240,000 members of the General SS. The Waffen SS did not yet exist at that time.

In my explanation of the question of the organizations which I submit as an appendix, I have proven that the "Totenkopf Units" (Death's Head Units) created in 1934 as special troops of the State, were not paid by the Party but by the Reich, and that they had in common with the General SS only a part of their name, "SS," and the chief, Himmler. (This follows in particular from Hitler's Secret Edict of 17th August, 1938, and from Document SS 84.)

Of importance seems to me the following change after the beginning of the war, when the wave of destruction begins to mount slowly in the concentration camps.

Six thousand five hundred men of guard personnel were sent to the front with a newly formed division. Thus they were eliminated entirely from the concentration camp system. During the course of the entire war there were employed about 30,000 men in the concentration camp system, as can be seen from the testimony of Brill and from Affidavit No. 68 (Kaindl). These included new arrivals and departures. They comprised about 1,500 men of the original cadre of the Totenkopf Units and 4,500 men originally from the General SS.

These 4,500 men were a part of 36,000 members of the General SS who had been called up until 1940 upon the emergency service decree, and who had become members of the Waffen SS. The remaining 24,000 men of the concentration camp personnel - that is, eighty per cent - originally had no nominal connection with the SS. These were 7,000 persons of German descent or extraction who had been called up, 10,000 German nationals who had volunteered to go to the front in the Waffen SS and 7,000 soldiers subordinate either to the Army or the Air Force. Many of the volunteers came from the SA, the Reichskriegerbund, the Party and other organizations. All, with the exception of the original personnel of 1,500 men, had been assigned the task of guarding the concentration camps against their will upon the order of Himmler, and without their having any connection with the Kommando Amt of the Waffen SS. Only in the course of the war were these guarding and administrative units of Himmler's nominally taken over into the Waffen-SS, Himmler thus transgressing his powers. This

[Page 122]

was done in order to prevent the personnel of the concentration camps continually having to be freed from military service, that is to say, for reasons which were practically to eliminate the regulations of military supervision. After the unequivocal evidence given by the witnesses Reinecke, Juettner, Ruoff, Brill and many others, there can be no more doubt that the State police tasks of the concentration camp system did not change for all that, and that in particular the concentration camp system did not become a concern of the Waffen SS. Indeed, the entire concentration camp system, even after the formal transfer of the guard personnel into the Waffen SS, was not directed and administered by the leading agencies of these organizations, but by a special office, the well-known Amtsgruppe D in the chief office of the Economic Administration, WVHA (witness Stein, Affidavits Fanslau SS 41, 100, Frank No. 99)."

These 4,500 men were a part of 36,000 members of the General SS who had been called up until 1940 upon the emergency service decree, and who had become members of the Waffen SS. The remaining 24,000 men of the concentration camp personnel - that is, eighty per cent - originally had no nominal connection with the SS. These were 7,000 persons of German descent or extraction who had been called up, 10,000 German nationals who had volunteered to go to the front in the Waffen SS and 7,000 soldiers subordinate either to the Army or the Air Force. Many of the volunteers came from the SA, the Reichskriegerbund, the Party and other organizations. All, with the exception of the original personnel of 1,500 men, had been assigned the task of guarding the concentration camps against their will upon the order of Himmler, and without their having any connection with the Kommando Amt of the Waffen SS.

Now this highlight is not meant to say 'see, they didn't want to guard concentration camps'. No excuse in my book - I'd like to think that I would have chosen imprisonment over being a guard. But along the lines of what I said above - there were many involved directly with the final solution that had no connection with the SS at all, let alone the Waffen-SS. And when you use a simplistic explanation like 'the final solution was the responsibility of the SS' you are letting guilty persons 'off the hook'. The difference between guilt and innocence is not determined by the insignia on a uniform or the presence of a uniform at all. It is determined by what an individual did.

It was even spelled out by the Allies after the Nuremburg trials:

"The classification of the SS as a criminal organization does not imply that ever member of the organization individually was a criminal."

This was stated because the Allies, being present in postwar Germany, pretty quickly understood that alot of Germans who were 'on the books' as part of the SS organization got there without ever joining the SS. If you were a railway policeman near an 'SS industrial complex' after 1941 or so you were all of a sudden an 'SS rail security officer'. Here's your uniform.

The entire history of what went on is far more complex than many are aware of. My point is this - nearly every facet of German society had a hand in what went on. To pin the entire blame on one uniformed group and one uniformed group alone is to not treat the acts commited with the seriousness they deserve.

Mike/wulfie
« Last Edit: October 04, 2002, 10:54:27 AM by wulfie »

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2002, 10:55:18 AM »
Many of you here know your history. You can differentiate between what the Waffen SS did, and what they did not do.

The crux of the matter here is the fact that you are much more informed than the average AH gamer.

So what HTC has to determine is whether or not it's worth lost revenues to allow one person to keep their handle.

Sometimes, companies have to bend to the will of the masses, even if they are incorrect.

Example: I bid on a WWII German Helmet on E-bay. There were no swastica's on it. It's only emblem was a red chevron with a white circle in the center. E-bay cancelled the auction because it violated their policy on the sale of Nzau Memorabilia.

Was the helmet beaing Nazi markings? No. Was it German? Yes. But to protect itself from bad pubilicity, and the loss of business, E-bay would rather refund the auction fees, lose the commission on the sale, and cancel the auciton.

HTC may very well do the same.

On a lighter note, what about a comprimise? Would it be acceptable if the person in question took the "SS" out of his handle and just used Waffen? Is'nt that just german for Weapon?

I would not object to this.

BTW...What the hell did SS stand for and what does it mean?

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2002, 11:03:18 AM »
Okay, the discussion has been mentally stimulating - thanks to all.

To whomever asked - 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer is a great book. Anyone (especially you Fd-Ski) who wants a really close up look at life on the Eastern Front during WW2 from the point of view of a 'nobody' (as opposed to a General)...I highly reccomend it. The Naval Institute Press has called it WW2s version of 'All Quiet on the Western Front'.

I've got to go back to work now, which means I won't be able have free time to get a computer and access the AH BBS for at least 5-6 days. Don't take my absence as a lack of interest in the discussion.

For any interested - transcripts of the Nuremburg trials available at the Holocaust Educational Resource: http://www.nizkor.org/

Mike/wulfie

"Talk to you guys when I get back."

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2002, 11:18:23 AM »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2002, 11:28:16 AM »
Originally posted by Tumor

My thoughts exactly.
sand

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2002, 11:47:13 AM »
wulfie, i've read it.

While it was compelling, i was having trouble understanding how he can still look in the mirror every morning.

What stuck with me the most was thing about thowing granades into roomful of civilans KNOWINGLY.
This is in assult of Kiev i believe. From that point on, i had hard time finding pity for author or his collegues.

Wulfie, i'm sorry but I have trouble with the recent trend which victimizes ALL germans with exception of hiter and 7 of his closes buddies.

German army, from top general to lowest private, went to war willingly. It was a war of attack, not defence. Even if France and Polish campaigns didn't make it clear to them, Eastern front should have. They were not just "doing their duty", they were murdering innocents while follow the madman's orders.

The heroses of German forces were those who put the muzzle to thier forehead and removed themselves from the evil machine the only way they knew how.  And those who actively attempted to remove hitler by force. Those were the heroses of Heer/Luftwaffel/SS Waffen and all Germany.
"I was just following orders" is not an excuse.
"I was defending a fatherland" is a roadkill excuse.
They were defending Hitler. Not Germany. And i believe that most of them knew the difference. However, germany of Hitler was just so much nicer then pre-hitler germany, wasn't it ?
And who minds few million dead jews and other lesser humans. We need the space for our race !!!

Next to my home city of Lodz there is a concentration camp. A small one. Very small one. In all aspects. It was a CHILDREN camp. Complete with nice small body burning ovens, children sized. So no, i don't have pitty for anyone who would fight for "that". And anyone with IQ higher then 10, who traveled though poland or russia between 39 and 44, would have figured that out.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2002, 11:54:19 AM »
Originally posted by fd ski
German army, from top general to lowest private, went to war willingly.

Yeah... just like the Americans in Viet Nam. :rolleyes:
sand