Author Topic: Collision model SUX  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2003, 01:21:01 PM »
Originally posted by whels
how about this for KS.

Zero's both Shooter and Shootee's ammo counters. as it is right now only 1  of the 2 parties at fualt get penalized. destruction
of ur plane is not fair when the other pilot just as much at fualt as u are, gets off with 0 penalty.

Whels

too much potential for griefers...  penalizing both with damage still allows somewhat for griefers, but at least a price is paid....

maybe 1/2 dmg to shootee, and 3x dmg to shooter...
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline MwKAZ

• Zinc Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2003, 01:25:25 PM »
I can understand how each person computer may differ on a collision.  Especially when one is going down and flames and the other doesn't even have scratched paint.

But a little confused when a collision occurs and one plane is demolished and the other has some, though minimal damage.  If both computers read a collision, then why doesn't both aircraft fall to the ground in pieces?

Offline acetnt

• Zinc Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2003, 01:27:50 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Argghhh.

Instead of fragging.... whyt not jusst have the offending bullets just be duds?  Kind of how you cannot damage friendly buildings.

This is a good idea - make it such that you cannot damage friendly fighters.....just a waste of bullets happens....

Make Killshooter into dudshooter :-)

I mean if a friendly newbie cant hurt you - he'll soon stop trying to shoot you

and you will not be penalized if someone flys in front of you as you are firing.....

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2003, 01:28:15 PM »
Originally posted by MwKAZ
I can understand how each person computer may differ on a collision.  Especially when one is going down and flames and the other doesn't even have scratched paint.

But a little confused when a collision occurs and one plane is demolished and the other has some, though minimal damage.  If both computers read a collision, then why doesn't both aircraft fall to the ground in pieces?

because the FEs detect exactly on which part of plane collided... for example my FE detected a wingtip clipped your tail.... i lose a wingtip and u might lose parts of vert stab...

or my prop clipped your cockpit... insta-boom for you while i'll end up with oil/radiator dmg.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2003, 01:35:01 PM »
This has been brought up before, I like the gun damage suggestion.
The blackout suggestion, while it would work in most instances, I wouldn't want that have to happen to me when I'm in a knife fight near the deck.
I also like Whels' suggestion of zero ammo to both shooter and shootee, that way at least both planes could return to base and rearm.
One other suggestion and one that a few people who posted here seem to have forgotten from an earlier post (unless I missed it somehow) is reducing the damage that killshooter inflicts, the lose your tail no matter where you hit the friendly plane just plain sucks.
Maybe damage to the shooter could reflect hitting an nme plane, have the damage in the appropriate areas with the lethality the same as well.

As always, just my thoughts, I can't see it from every perspective so enlighten me.

[EDIT] as for collision, both planes should sustain damage, if there's a collision on one FE then both planes sustain damage to the areas hit.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 01:41:11 PM by Kaz »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2003, 07:14:59 PM »
The problem with zeroing ammo counters is that it still leaves two enemy aircraft in action and able to affect the fight.  If you have an enemy Spit pulling in on your six are you going to try to evade or assume he has no ammo?  If you evade he has likely just saved one of his friendlies and affected the fight, a fight he should no longer be in.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ductape

• Copper Member
      • http://www.planetductape.com
Collision model SUX
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2003, 12:24:11 AM »
My Pants Are Poopy!
:cool:
~The pilot that flies alone, dies alone~

Offline fats

• Copper Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2003, 04:25:03 AM »
--- shane: ---
 because the FEs detect exactly on which part of plane collided... for example my FE detected a wingtip clipped your tail.... i lose a wingtip and u might lose parts of vert stab...
--- end ---

Almost. This would insinuate that the fact you hit something, like the tail, on the other plane means the plane will lose that part. It's still totally upto the other FE to decide where the collision happened happened at that end, and there comes the difference what parts he will lose.

// fats

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Collision model SUX
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2003, 02:08:55 PM »
Rare though they are there are a few things that really piss me off.However they are so rare id hardly worry about changing it.

1) your in a great fight but low on ammo and gradually closing in to get your kill. Things suddenly look good to go and you blaze away only for suddenly another countryman fly right between you and the target. PING PING CRACK down you go cursing.

2) you shallow dive your fighter ready to drop your bomb on a hanger or factory and its a perfect drop, you roll over to watch it hit and to your horror see a fellow countryman straffing your target and flying right down to almost 0 foot to hit it.The bomb hits just as he flies through it. BOOM you sit in the twr cursing

3) You drop your bombs from a bomber on the town where there are several dots.They appear to be all enemy judging by the map. BOOM in the tower!.It seems there was a friendly camping behind one of those houses :)

Best times in AH when killshooter rocks.

1) some idiot decides to start shooting you from your own side. BOOM cya :D he sits in twr pissed off

2) you chase a con down from 20k fighting hard to win. Gradually you get the scum down to a slow speed and youre about to win BUT several of your countrymen seem to be of the opinion that its now theirs to finnish off and you start to see their tracer streak by your cockpit as they fire over your shoulder. PING CRACK cya :D down goes the killstealers.

good and bad but the good outweighs the bad IMO.

Collisions is a different story, I seem to always lose a wing whenever i pass close to another aircraft.This isnt necessarily in HO either. If i fly into a HO and we both hit eachother with guns (meaning both are TRYING to HO!) it seems Im the only one who is broken up in the final collision,The other guy , invarioubly a weak spitfire flies off unharmed to claim a kill.

If this was ALSO happening for the guy i hit into, ie Sometimes i get the kill and no damage and the otherguy crashes it wouldnt be so bad but it doesnt. I could understand this if i flew a flymsy spit and kept ramming P47s but this is mostly in 190s vrs flimsy spits.I say calculate the strength of a collision and make the weaker plane take most damage!.
Give both damage ONLY when both see the collision. If one sees it give that one a damage that doesnt stop them flying like maybe a loss of a gun or flap.

The problem i have with the collision model is a lot of these people who fly away unharmed were indeed trying for the HO or Ram just as much as the other guy. It seems ONLY certain connections seem to get away with the crash.

Im on ADSL and im always losing out in collisions even when they hit ME from BEHIND. Now that just isnt right.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Collision model SUX
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2003, 02:21:29 PM »
Originally posted by acetnt
This is a good idea - make it such that you cannot damage friendly fighters.....just a waste of bullets happens....

Make Killshooter into dudshooter :-)

I mean if a friendly newbie cant hurt you - he'll soon stop trying to shoot you

and you will not be penalized if someone flys in front of you as you are firing.....

You will have hordes of newbies shooting just for the hell of it chasing people around etc.As it is now they end up in the tower and out of your hair,

If killshooter does nothing there is no reason why a player has to stop firing when there is a friendly ahead of him.

scenario:

enemy running with 'PILOTA' chasing him after doing all the work of getting on his 6oc position.
PILOTB dives in 100 yards behind PILOTA and begins firing all his cannons at the enemy in order to steal the kill.
PILOTA although hit many times by PILOTB's guns loses the kill.

basically killshooter stops dweebs from spraying over our shoulders to steal kills,

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
ONE MORE TIME!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2003, 02:28:08 PM »
OK I'll say it again.... Just disable the killshooters guns after the first hit....... Then he doesn't get the kill.. steal... And if the same Idiot flys in front of your hard fought 6 set up ... you don't get killed by the idiot .............. Bombs and all other variables are also saved from unnessary deaths...  
Gatr's 2 cents
81st

Offline aac

• Copper Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2003, 02:41:04 PM »
In my opinion which isn't worth anything, I agree with the poster that the bullets hitting a friendly do nothing just like they do with friendly hangers, town buildings, and other friendly objects.  They have that coded so I know they could code in the planes also.  There is simply no real reason why a person should die because a friendly plane comes diving in between you and the enemy you are shooting.  Every time I've been killed by kill shooter it was exactly this type of kill that got me killed.  No wait I have been killed a couple of times by people flying through the bomb blast even though I always anounce on local vox dropping on town stay out of blast and invariably someone will fly through the blast.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2003, 03:08:46 PM »
Hazed, I don't have a problem w/ the scenario you've mentioned.  If someone behind me manages to damage the plane in front of me more than I do, they deserve the kill for being a better shot. I'm unmoved by killstealing. Heck, I don't even mind if people shoot at the falling carcasses I leave. with the way I hose them down, the ammo is probably just being wasted anyway.
As for dweebs following you around shooting at you.. how often would this happen?  and why would it bother you?
How about this: If you shoot a friendly, your bullets are duds and your guns become inoperable for a period of time... 10 seconds?  60?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2003, 03:25:07 PM »
"How about this: If you shoot a friendly, your bullets are duds and your guns become inoperable for a period of time... 10 seconds? 60?

I like it !!! Suggested the same thing .... ooooo ... 'bout 6 months ago ... in the neverending re-emerging "stop killshooter" plea.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Collision model SUX
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2003, 03:35:35 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
"How about this: If you shoot a friendly, your bullets are duds and your guns become inoperable for a period of time... 10 seconds? 60?

I like it !!! Suggested the same thing .... ooooo ... 'bout 6 months ago ... in the neverending re-emerging "stop killshooter" plea.

Well, to give a different perspective, to me this would be a cancel my account, sayonnara Aces High, deal.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-